Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best Heart and Tenderloin I’ve Ever Eaten

JTHOMP

Packed a few frozen vacuum bag meals for my week in Arkansas. Weather will suck after tomorrow. But for the good dry weather yesterday and tonight I packed a pig heart and a few tenderloins to cook over open fire.

I have been missing out for so long. Just added a little seasoning and cooked on a stick. Not to romanticize cooking outdoors on a fire but this is by far better than anything I’ve done on the grill or in the kitchen.
674E52AB-EDFF-4B44-BA95-96639FE0E43D.jpeg

My now 35 year old son and I campfire roasted fresh quail like that on his first deer hunt when he was 11. He still speaks of how good they tasted.

..good stuff JTHOMP, thanks for the reminder.

How's the hunting been? I've seen quite a bit of chasing this week on the Oklahoma side.

Scrapes I’ve seen have been abandoned. Had a doe bust me yesterday evening about 3 steps after I said “This looks good I’ll hunt here until dark.” Let one doe walk so far today. A guy I’m hunting with saw a buck chasing a doe today. Both around mid day.
...currently regretting not killing that doe because it is COLD

Last edited:
Most hunting camps I go to the heart is eaten the night of the kill. You can't beat fresh deer or elk heart tacos. Plus, tortillas, peppers and onions don't require refrigeration.

I was fortunate enough to met some guys up here and they’re letting me stay at their camp. In conversation they said they’ve never had heart. If I kill, the heart will not be making it to the ice chest for the ride home.

Congratulations on a successful hunt and what would appear to be a great shot! It's been a cold couple days of hunting.

Just out of curiosity, is heart something that needs to be cooked rare or cooked low and slow for a long time?

Most hunting camps I go to the heart is eaten the night of the kill. You can't beat fresh deer or elk heart tacos. Plus, tortillas, peppers and onions don't require refrigeration.
yup, thats our openers tradition...granted we need to get a deer first....
We did get one last sunday and I'm going to try Rinella's heart kabob recipe tonight on the green mountain

Chronologically I've done heart both ways....if camping, fry it up right away with a little salted flour and lots of pepper. If not dissect and clean well & bring it back for the processor to thin slice for flash fry or braising. A little past medium rare is perfect. At home we supplement with twice tenderized chicken fried elk round & white peppered gravy from the cracklins. Biscuits, seared squash/onions & founder ourselves.

Congratulations on a successful hunt and what would appear to be a great shot! It's been a cold couple days of hunting.

Thank you sir. Near last light 4 does came out and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to take one home. It’s been much colder than I care for but today is good and tomorrow will be good. Then headed south.

Just out of curiosity, is heart something that needs to be cooked rare or cooked low and slow for a long time?

Definitely cooked on the rare side. Doesn’t take long when sliced thin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back