Best fluting for bolts

nhenry

Like the title says, I want to know what the pros and cons are for straight bolt flutes as opposed to spiral bolt flutes. I’m going to be sending my 280AI’s bolt in to get either one done.

@Backofbeyond is right you know.

Karl Feldcamp has done Ti bolt fluting on two of my bolts. He called me about the magnum bolt and recommended that the bottom of the bolt not be fluted if I were using a belted magnum. That was due to the possibility of the flutes catching the belt. I was having a RUM converted to a Nosler so that was not a concern.

If @noharleyyet convinces you to go with colored flutes, just don’t use @Dsnow9 pink.

And @mtmuley, spiral fluting looks neat. It would probably look really good on a new 6.5 CM.😀

1092F238-02A4-4B47-AEAE-8E2C721738F0.jpeg

Aesthetics are secondary for me. Just wondered if it served a purpose. mtmuley

Another vote for Kampfeld ti fluting. He’s done a couple of mine and I just got my wife’s 243 back (matching bolt knob of course) 😂 he does a hell of a job and turns it around quick

Flutes in general or the spiral? I would say the spiral is just for looks, because in todays CNC world it is really no more work than a straight. It is possible a small amount of smoothness in rotating the bolt could come from from spiral over straight because of the distribution of surface area results in less edges aligning with the straight lines of the receiver opening.

Flutes in general or the spiral? I would say the spiral is just for looks, because in todays CNC world it is really no more work than a straight. It is possible a small amount of smoothness in rotating the bolt could come from from spiral over straight because of the distribution of surface area results in less edges aligning with the straight lines of the receiver opening.
My focus and budget is on function. No flutes for me. mtmuley

That’s what I’m asking about mainly. The function. Do the flutes make the bolt travel smoother? Does it feel less dirty?
Don't care really. In my case with what I am doing it doesn't matter. mtmuley

And for you ounce counters, I have read that fluting can remove from just under an ounce to 1.5 ounces. That is not much but if you save another 2 to 2.5 ounces by using a speedlock firing pin assembly with the aluminum shroud, the weight-savings starts adding up.

I think the supposed benefit is that it can shed ice or debris to keep it from getting stuck in harsh conditions? I don’t really know. Only one of mine is fluted.

Got mine fluted through LRI, straight up did it for the looks. Went with the wrought iron and black cerakote. Turned out pretty good.

That’s what I’m asking about mainly. The function. Do the flutes make the bolt travel smoother? Does it feel less dirty?
Find a new rrifle with flutes and try it. Then find about a 1950 Mannlicker-Shonuer ( spelled wrong) and compare the two. I have flutes on my Partiot only because it came that way. If your hurrying to jack in another round do you really believe your gonna notice smooth beyond some unknown point? Don't care for flute's on the bolt or the barrel.

Back