280AI Savage UltraLight with Maven S5 update

Hunt4Meat

Well, had a break in the rain to only have fog, could only shoot 50 yards. That would be ok for breaking in a new barrel and getting scope on target. Just threw 21 bullets of Speer 160 BT behind some IMR 4831 since I have 3 lbs to just send lead down range. This gun is going to be a shooter I think if the 50 yard is any indication. The scope was clear and the red dot really helped. The scope tracked and moved as expected (didn’t do the box since not at a hundred yards). Dont really care for the drag on the spiral cut bolt, would be better with a straight bolt. Everything else, awesome, trigger was adjusted, stock is ok however it light and adjustable, what I was looking for in a carry gun. Now I’m going to load up some rounds for hunting, (between the accubond or eldx whose most accurate) and some hammers for states that require copper. The fun begins.

Attachments

• 20231231_111229_Original.jpeg
    20231231_111229_Original.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 20231231_111211_Original.jpeg
    20231231_111211_Original.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20231231_101428_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20231231_101428_Original.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 72
Well, had a break in the rain to only have fog, could only shoot 50 yards. That would be ok for breaking in a new barrel and getting scope on target. Just threw 21 bullets of Speer 160 BT behind some IMR 4831 since I have 3 lbs to just send lead down range. This gun is going to be a shooter I think if the 50 yard is any indication. The scope was clear and the red dot really helped. The scope tracked and moved as expected (didn’t do the box since not at a hundred yards). Dont really care for the drag on the spiral cut bolt, would be better with a straight bolt. Everything else, awesome, trigger was adjusted, stock is ok however it light and adjustable, what I was looking for in a carry gun. Now I’m going to load up some rounds for hunting, (between the accubond or eldx whose most accurate) and some hammers for states that require copper. The fun begins.
I really like those Ultralights. And I think I’d be surprised if a Savage DIDN’T shoot well. Everyone I’ve even been around are shooters.

I really like those Ultralights. And I think I’d be surprised if a Savage DIDN’T shoot well. Everyone I’ve even been around are shooters.
I have an old 110 in 3006 that will shoot any combination and weight, the wife took that gun from me as hers. If this works out, I may have to let my Nosler 300wm rifle go down the road and get another ultralight.

Nice! My brother bought one of the 110 ultralite in 6.5 prc last year. While developing a load, it was really a pleasure to shoot. Has me debating back and forth with the Christensen Mesa FFT for my next gun coming up.

My 280AI is such a good shooter and so easy to load for. Nearly every bullet I've run through it is good enough accuracy to hunt with.

Nice! My brother bought one of the 110 ultralite in 6.5 prc last year. While developing a load, it was really a pleasure to shoot. Has me debating back and forth with the Christensen Mesa FFT for my next gun coming up.

My 280AI is such a good shooter and so easy to load for. Nearly every bullet I've run through it is good enough accuracy to hunt with.
Love hearing that, hopefully this 280AI does the same. Starting out that way with just a quick load of leftovers from my other guns. Now time to work up a load or two.

Initial reaction is it's ugly as F. Bolt slides through the action like someone threw a handful of sand in it. Savage is not known for smooth actions and I didn't buy it expecting it to be smooth, but it's rougher than I expected. I think the fluting on the bolt adds to this effect. Stock isn't as flexible as I was anticipating based on all the complaints on the internet. Overall it feels like a cheap gun with a really nice barrel. Wouldn't pay MSRP for it but I got it for $1099 so overall I'm not complaining too much.

Having a hell of a time finding rings and bases locally. Apparently Leupold had a bad run of the backcountry ring/base combos. Local Sportsman's had two sets and both of them appear to be milled for the smaller screws even though they come with the 8x40 screws; screws wouldn't fit through the bases. Landed on a Warne rail and maxima rings but not sure how I feel about them. The rings are heavy and I generally hate rails. Debating if I want to get something else. Cracking a beer now while I think about it and watch spring bear hunting videos.

Will report back when I get a chance to shoot it.

Initial reaction is it's ugly as F. Bolt slides through the action like someone threw a handful of sand in it. Savage is not known for smooth actions and I didn't buy it expecting it to be smooth, but it's rougher than I expected. I think the fluting on the bolt adds to this effect. Stock isn't as flexible as I was anticipating based on all the complaints on the internet. Overall it feels like a cheap gun with a really nice barrel. Wouldn't pay MSRP for it but I got it for $1099 so overall I'm not complaining too much.

Having a hell of a time finding rings and bases locally. Apparently Leupold had a bad run of the backcountry ring/base combos. Local Sportsman's had two sets and both of them appear to be milled for the smaller screws even though they come with the 8x40 screws; screws wouldn't fit through the bases. Landed on a Warne rail and maxima rings but not sure how I feel about them. The rings are heavy and I generally hate rails. Debating if I want to get something else. Cracking a beer now while I think about it and watch spring bear hunting videos.

Will report back when I get a chance to shoot it.
I had some rings like that I drilled them
out

A friend of mine has a ultra lite in 6.5 creed. For some reason the bolt lift is unusually heavy. Anyone else have issues with this?

A friend of mine has an ultra lite in 6.5 creed. For some reason the bolt lift is unusually heavy. Anyone else have issues with this?
I believe that’s the nature of a savage bolt, it’s takes me some time espically if I shot my tikka and jump to the savage. The savage feels more solid and lock up where as the tikka is butter and falls by itself. All of my savages are “stiff”

I believe that’s the nature of a savage bolt, it’s takes me some time espically if I shot my tikka and jump to the savage. The savage feels more solid and lock up where as the tikka is butter and falls by itself. All of my savages are “stiff”
Good to know. It was so stiff I recommended he send it in to savage lol.

Good to know. It was so stiff I recommended he send it in to savage lol.
if it’s a new rifle, they say oil the bolt, cycle 100 times, oil the bolt cycle 100 times then clean bolt light oil, should feel better. It kind of polish3s the metal and sets in, I’ve never done it, I just shoot.

I have been looking everywhere on line for a mesa fft 280AI. Everyone is out or not restocking them. I started looking at other brands.
Weatherby 307 and mark 5 hunter
Xbolt speed ( like looking for a unicorn)
Savage ultralite.

I have been looking everywhere on line for a mesa fft 280AI. Everyone is out or not restocking them. I started looking at other brands.
Weatherby 307 and mark 5 hunter
Xbolt speed ( like looking for a unicorn)
Savage ultralite.
If you’re in the PNW, go to your local BiMart, they can order any gun reasonable. I told them the make and model I wanted. They told me that they will search but not likely available for a while. Get home, 3 hours later, they called saying they had located one and if I still wanted it, went down payed for it and less than 10 days in my hands. Very easy and local.

I live in the south. Any place u could think of mite have one? A browning xbolt speed or mesa fft 280AI. I would be very grateful for any help.

Yes sir. No xbolt speed or mesa fft in 280AI. Fount a very good deal on a new Weatherby mark hunter 280AI.
I couldn’t find a factory option I was happy with either. I picked up a 700 this weekend and plan to rebarrel it. I wouldn’t rule out that option either, price wise I’ll end up pretty close to either of those 3 options you listed.

I can find the weatherby 307 and mark 5 hunter. Hunter is a good looking rifle. I found a used kimber 84L mountain ascent 280AI. Has a vortex scope on it. I had a kimber 84 hunter 280AI. But sold it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back