Best copper projectile?

Best monolithic projectile

• Nosler E-Tip

• Barnes TSX

• Barnes TTSX

• Hornady GMX

• Hammer Hunter

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lots of good posts and information in this thread. To me these types of threads demonstrate a couple of things. First, lots of different bullets/loads are used by many folks with great success. Second, we as hunters and shooters have a wonderful amount of choices and options to use, tinker with, and generally enjoy while pursuing the game and the sport we love. I know things can be hard to find right now, but we are very fortunate overall.

Lots of good posts and information in this thread. To me these types of threads demonstrate a couple of things. First, lots of different bullets/loads are used by many folks with great success. Second, we as hunters and shooters have a wonderful amount of choices and options to use, tinker with, and generally enjoy while pursuing the game and the sport we love. I know things can be hard to find right now, but we are very fortunate overall.
When I started this thread, I wasn't expecting to get more than, maybe, 3 or so responses to help me weed out what I should look to use. Now, I'm just as flustered on where to start as I was before, but least I know that there aren't any bad options! I started load development with the GMXs and TTSX, but I think I'm using the wrong powder (IMR 4350 since I have a bunch on hand) because my groups aren't shrinking to where I want them to. Now, 5/8" is still pretty good, but I know it can do better

Older post, but I voted Barnes TTSX, but, that's the only one we've used. Two shots, two dead antelope. One from a .270, the other from a .243. No complaints about accuracy or performance here. I will add, the youngest daughter took a shot at a feral hog with her .243, she aimed just behind the shoulder, hog dropped, but then got up after a few seconds and ran off. My fault, I had instructed her on where to shoot on deer/antelope, she assumed the same for hogs, not knowing about the thicker hide in that area. I should have told her to shoot about the 2nd rib, at a quartering away shot, to penetrate into the vitals.

Steve’s extension is ‘hello’….I like that.
Hammer - What other company do you call and have the owner answer? I call and Steve picks up returns my call. Then we geek out on loads, powders, ballistics, twist rates, and such.
He is there real time to help me dial my loads for each individual rifle.

Hammer - What other company do you call and have the owner answer? I call and Steve picks up returns my call. Then we geek out on loads, powders, ballistics, twist rates, and such.
He is there real time to help me dial my loads for each individual rifle.
It may be the particular bullet/powder combo that I'm using, but the rifle I catered this post around doesn't like the 169gr Hunters, which is completely opposite of my experience with Hammers in my other rifles. I will have to try other ones and see how they do before I declare the bullets bad for the rifle.

If I can't get anymore TTSX bullets I will be switching to Hammers. I started off the non lead bullets with Barnes based on reviews, a close friends experience, and availability. Now I can't find them in .308 150gr which have performed excellent on accuracy and game animals. I can still get them in 180gr for my 300 WSM but prefer my .308 in 150gr.

I have a load worked up for my daughter's 243 with 70 grain Hammer Hunters on top of H4350 at about 3270 fps. Will see how it does on deer this year.

I also have a box of .308 152 Hunters to try I my 30-06, if I can find new brass before my December sheep hunt.

This is my first foray I to mono bullets. Will see how it goes.

I finally dialed in a load for the 280 AI with the 140gr TTSX on top of 56.7gr of IMR 4350. Oddly enough, what Barnes states as their max load is the load that mine shoots in a dime-sized five shot group. Should be adequate for Kansas deer season in a few months

I've got limited experience using them on game, and there it was a 140 grain ttsx on a pronghorn. Worked like a champ. 200 yard shot with the doe piling up 50 yards later.

I've loaded E-tips, GMX, TSX and TTSX. The E-tips were easy to find the accuracy node and I would have zero issue using them. The GMX's wouldn't group well enough for me, so I gave up on them. The TSX & TTSX's were all super easy to develop loads for. I use the TTSX's in my 30-06, 338 WM and 7x57AI. TSX's in the 9.3.

I need to call Steve and see what we can do with some low velocity cartridges I'd like to switch over to copper. 33 wcf, 35 whelen, 8x57J, etc.

Honestly, whatever one your rifle shoots best is the best one for you! When I switched to mono bullets with my .270, I tried several different brands. The Hornady GMX didn't group well for me at all. Same story with the e-tip. I decided to to try Federal Trophy Copper and all of a sudden, everything was grouping nice and tight. I have shot a few animals out to 400 yds and have great penetration and accuracy.

I have been shooting mono bullets for a while now and I have to say... I'm never switching back. I have never had this much accuracy with lead core bullets.

Enjoy!

Honestly, whatever one your rifle shoots best is the best one for you! When I switched to mono bullets with my .270, I tried several different brands. The Hornady GMX didn't group well for me at all. Same story with the e-tip. I decided to to try Federal Trophy Copper and all of a sudden, everything was grouping nice and tight. I have shot a few animals out to 400 yds and have great penetration and accuracy.

I have been shooting mono bullets for a while now and I have to say... I'm never switching back. I have never had this much accuracy with lead core bullets.

Enjoy!
I actually developed a load with the GMX that shot well. They're just heavier than the TTSX so I'll reserve those for bigger game. I'm happy that I was able to figure out a couple different loads that work in case one or the other bullet becomes harder to find.

Enjoy!
Same here. I couldn't get the GMX to group in my .270 (REM 700), but the 130g Trophy Copper and the 130g TTSX are very good for that rifle. Both have nearly identical groups.

The only mono bullet I have actually killed anything with is a GMX in a 7mm-08 Superformance load. I will be trying Hammers and have some Barnes to load as well. Just need powder and primers. Hard to vote but want to see the results so while it most likely will change to Hammers in the future, got to vote what has worked for me to this point.

If I can't get anymore TTSX bullets I will be switching to Hammers. I started off the non lead bullets with Barnes based on reviews, a close friends experience, and availability. Now I can't find them in .308 150gr which have performed excellent on accuracy and game animals. I can still get them in 180gr for my 300 WSM but prefer my .308 in 150gr.
Selwayarmory.com has Barnes 165 & 168 grain TTSX on their website.
Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back