Best copper projectile?

Best monolithic projectile

• Nosler E-Tip

• Barnes TSX

• Barnes TTSX

• Hornady GMX

• Hammer Hunter

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm watching this thread because I too am curious peoples thoughts, going to start transitioning some of my rifles to monos next year..

I've used the TTSX quite successfully for a while now. Tried the E-tips in a couple of calibers, they just didn't shoot as well , but others I know have gotten better accuracy. Hammers are the next on my list to try, I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Last edited:
Curious if there are any companies loading factory ammo with Hammers? I need to try these in my 7 mag when I run out of VLDs. Maybe I'll just load some this winter
Custom Cartridge loads Hammers. Steve just announced Gunwerks will be loading them. There are ongoing talks with other companies. I'd like to see Federal or Remington pick them up. mtmuley

I’m going with the 150 TSX in my 300WSM this year due to time and components that are available. But hopefully by next year I can work up something from the Hammer line.

My 300 WBY prefers 165gr Cutting Edge Lazer
My 7mm-08 prefers 131gr Cutting Edge Maximus
My 28 Nosler prefers 168gr Barnes LRX
My 280ai and 7mm SAUM both prefer 145gr Badlands Bulldozer
My 25-06 prefers 95gr Badlands Bulldozer II

I love supporting American small business that is just a entrepreneur and his dream to "build a better mousetrap". Not that Nosler, Barnes and Hornady weren't there at one point, but it's just so cool to see Steve and Brian succeeding.
Gunwerks is loading Hammers. And as of last week, so is Weatherby. mtmuley

Steve’s extension is ‘hello’….I like that.
I'm pretty exited for those guys. They have come a long way from starting out in Steve's garage. Pretty good endorsement of product with the aforementioned companies using Hammers. They just hired their first employee. If I lived in the Flathead, I'd leave construction to work for them. mtmuley

Firearms and bullet's. Amazes me people always trying to find the best of each. Every firearm and bullet maker has it's follower's that absolutely love them and every one has the group that absolutely hates them! Go figure! Guy takes out his new rifle hunting and loads it up with what he's been told is the best monolithic bullet going. Get a shot and certain he hit what he aimed at but the animal ran off. next guy goes out and buy's a second hand Mossberg 800 and an inexpensive box of Remington ammo for it. Goes hunting and spots his game and knocks it flat with the first shot! Old Mossberg and cheap Remington ammo just became old death and destruction. Point is there really is no best. What there is is what works for you and they only way you'll know is to try what ever it is your thinking about!

Off the subject of guns a moment and on to fishing reels. My favorite reels are ABU level wind casting reels, nothing like them in my opinion. Well read a guy absolutely trashing a brand of reel on a site and I could not believe anything could be that bad. Looked it up and not bad looking and only about $45 so I went ahead and bought one to find out for myself. Damn! What a nice reel. That reel was bought with the idea that if it didn't work out, it didn't break the bank trying it and if it worked out, inexpensive new reel for me!

Lot of people will bash products they never even tried and praise some they never even tried! So who do you believe? None of them! Look the product up and if the price agrees with you and you really thinking of going that way, get it and try it!

In fishing reels I once had the idea no reel, round casting reel could compare to my ABU's. So Joe's here in Ore went out of business and had a huge sale. I found a Daiwa Millionaire for $30! Wondered about them but had never though about them seriously till that moment. Got it and now I wish I'd have bought out every one they had left. Something I don't do though is replace something that has been working well for me just to see it something else could be better! I am a huge believer in ABU casting reels, Hornady Interlocks and Speer Hot Cores. Why? They have never let me down. Why would I replace them. An animal can only be shot so dead! And that's more on the shooter than the bullet! Last deer I killed with a 243 I did it with a 75gr Hornady V-Max, varmint bullet, one shot. Those thing's blow up going through 2" styrofoam at 200yds. Placed right they kill very dead very quickly!

Though just hit me. Want to get into reloading? Ask about Lee tools. Lovers and hater's are all over the board. Which one ya gonna believe?

Last edited:
Firearms and bullet's. Amazes me people always trying to find the best of each. Every firearm and bullet maker has it's follower's that absolutely love them and every one has the group that absolutely hates them! Go figure! Guy takes out his new rifle hunting and loads it up with what he's been told is the best monolithic bullet going. Get a shot and certain he hit what he aimed at but the animal ran off. next guy goes out and buy's a second hand Mossberg 800 and an inexpensive box of Remington ammo for it. Goes hunting and spots his game and knocks it flat with the first shot! Old Mossberg and cheap Remington ammo just became old death and destruction. Point is there really is no best. What there is is what works for you and they only way you'll know is to try what ever it is your thinking about!

Off the subject of guns a moment and on to fishing reels. My favorite reels are ABU level wind casting reels, nothing like them in my opinion. Well read a guy absolutely trashing a brand of reel on a site and I could not believe anything could be that bad. Looked it up and not bad looking and only about $45 so I went ahead and bought one to find out for myself. Damn! What a nice reel. That reel was bought with the idea that if it didn't work out, it didn't break the bank trying it and if it worked out, inexpensive new reel for me!

Lot of people will bash products they never even tried and praise some they never even tried! So who do you believe? None of them! Look the product up and if the price agrees with you and you really thinking of going that way, get it and try it!

In fishing reels I once had the idea no reel, round casting reel could compare to my ABU's. So Joe's here in Ore went out of business and had a huge sale. I found a Daiwa Millionaire for $30! Wondered about them but had never though about them seriously till that moment. Got it and now I wish I'd have bought out every one they had left. Something I don't do though is replace something that has been working well for me just to see it something else could be better! I am a huge believer in ABU casting reels, Hornady Interlocks and Speer Hot Cores. Why? They have never let me down. Why would I replace them. An animal can only be shot so dead! And that's more on the shooter than the bullet! Last deer I killed with a 243 I did it with a 75gr Hornady V-Max, varmint bullet, one shot. Those thing's blow up going through 2" styrofoam at 200yds. Placed right they kill very dead very quickly!

Though just hit me. Want to get into reloading? Ask about Lee tools. Lovers and hater's are all over the board. Which one ya gonna believe?
Thanks Don. mtmuley

apart from head or neck shots the deadest deer i ever saw was hit with a 75 gr hollow point in 6mm rem,the projectile hit the red stag in the paunch and blew a dinner sized opening killing him on the spot,,my first introduction to speed kills all out of proportion

I guess it is amazing that people who love to hunt try to pick the best tools for the job.

I just got myself a 280 AI and I'm starting to reload for it. While most of the animals I've harvested have been with traditional bullets, I'm not satisfied with penetration, I do not like fragmentation too much, and I like to use all the meat I can. So the easy answer is to switch to the monos entirely. Namely, Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip, etc. Please vote for your favorite mono and explain in the thread why that is. Thanks in advance, as this will help me decide on what to try.
I to shoot a Custom .280AI built by Kevin Weaver. I have always shot the TSX bullets so it was a "no brainer" for me when we started load development. I have always shot the 140gr TSX out of all of my .284 cartridges. (7mm-08, .280 Rem, .280AI, 7mm and 7 Ultra) In the .280AI I shoot 60gr of IMR7828 with a 26" barrel it is pushing out at 3153fps. The TSX performance to me is unmatched and I personally have never lost an animal. 2 years ago I shot a cow elk at 415 yards quartering to me and was able to recover the bullet, the only one we've ever recovered. As far as the rest of the bullets mentioned I'm sure they are all good but I just don't have any experience with them so can't speak to their performance. The one thing I will say is if you don't have a stock pile of Barnes bullets right now don't start any load development with them because they are hard to find currently.

apart from head or neck shots the deadest deer i ever saw was hit with a 75 gr hollow point in 6mm rem,the projectile hit the red stag in the paunch and blew a dinner sized opening killing him on the spot,,my first introduction to speed kills all out of proportion
My ex shot a deer in the paunch with a 6mm and a 100gr bullet. Zipped open the paunch and dropped the guts out and the deer ran off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back