Best bullet for 6.5 creedmoor

I didn’t want to high jack the “ best non lead bullet”. I don’t need the non lead bullets, but if they are better I don’t care if they cost more either. my son bought a 6.5 creedmoor and will use it on deer and elk. I have looked at getting some of the non lead bullets to try. But if they are no better or worse I of course don’t want him to waste my money. Thanks
I never bought a Creedmoore, but have shot a buddy’s and they are great for range time. I do own a Grendel and also real easy at the range. My thinking here is that there’s no need to get the greatest, best bullet ever, but rather to hunt within the limitations of the rifle. Cup and core, <250yd limit and he’s good.

Find what the rifle likes and stick with it. I reload and it's fun to try different things but plain old cup and core bullets of the proper weight work just fine for deer.

I want to be a smartass and say 160gr Accubond and shoot it from a 7RM.

For 6.5s I've had really good luck on deer size game with 120-130gr bullets. I don't buy into the long range stuff, and don't need the super duper high BC bullets to shoot 1" flatter at 300 yards. I've found that most any bullet works fine out to those ranges. My favorite in a 260 is a 100gr and 120gr ballistic tip followed by and 130gr accubonds. I Shot a bunch of stuff with 120gr Sierra's as well. Don't over think it, all bullets work.

I wouldn't use mine on elk size game so not sure about mono type bullets. Good luck.

For my wife's creedmoor we settled on 125gr Badlands Precision Bulldozers for deer/antelope. Groups very well and performed excellent on a buck antelope.

I have a Ruger American Predator and it shoots the 147 ELD Match factory Hornady so well I haven't even thought about reloading for it. Wasn't expecting much from it as a hunting round, but have been very impressed on whitetails out to 300. Not sure how it would do on bigger game though.

I have a Howa and a AR in 6.5 Creed. My father in law has both a Savage and Browning x-bolt Pro. We went and bought 10 different rounds. All 4 guns shot the one round better than all others. 2 of them shot 1/2 groups at 100 yards, other 2 guns at 1”. The best round? Hornady Whitetail. They are either 127 or 129 gr. It’s what I would hunt deer or antelope with.

I have a Howa and a AR in 6.5 Creed. My father in law has both a Savage and Browning x-bolt Pro. We went and bought 10 different rounds. All 4 guns shot the one round better than all others. 2 of them shot 1/2 groups at 100 yards, other 2 guns at 1”. The best round? Hornady Whitetail. They are either 127 or 129 gr. It’s what I would hunt deer or antelope with.
Although I have no first hand experience, I’ve heard great things about the Hornady AW in several different calibers.

I recommend getting a couple different boxes and seeing what you like better. You do spend a bit more money now but then you will have the ammo you love in the long run.

I have tried several different bullets and found 130 Accubonds the most consistently accurate and very good on game in the 6.5. I've taken several deer, antelope and pigs with the 6.5. Nearly all were one shot kills. I only remember one requiring a follow up shot and that was my fault for stretching a shot on antelope. Shot placement obviously trumps caliber but I do not recommend the 6.5 CM for Elk .

That is good to know. I was curious how the corelokt work in the 6.5. How are the ballistics there. I would imagine the ELDX shoot flatter right? Do the Corelokt still give you pretty good range?

The corelokt won't run out of range. lol I'd not get a Reminigton product right now because of a lot of unknowns. The ELDX is a decent bullet and will easily kill deer. If I was going to buy a box of bullets right now, I'd get Hornady American Whitetail 129gr Intrerlocks. It will kill any deer that walks the planet.

Hornady 143 grain ELD-X (nothing new here) works well for me.
I have so far taken two antelope, two deer and one muy grande black bear. Distances were from 150 yds to 406 yds (the latter on a mule deer buck). Good penetration, all went down in sight, but definitely not the "dropped in the tracks" kind of result one would get with a bigger round. I plan on getting my son tuned up on it as well as he gets a bit closer to hunter's safety, etc. (he is 10) but I will still be carrying it for deer/antelope/bear and I would not have any issue with it on an elk under 300 yards. That is just my two cents from a guy who is far away from being a gun/ballistics geek...accuracy is my main goal. I point it, I pull trigger, it go bang, I smile. Repeat.

143 ELDX are my favorite. Shot antelope and whitetails with good results

I've not had a problem with anything i've shot with 140 bergers, most shots were DRT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back