Caribou Gear

Best bullet for 6.5 creedmoor

Bob C

I didn’t want to high jack the “ best non lead bullet”. I don’t need the non lead bullets, but if they are better I don’t care if they cost more either. my son bought a 6.5 creedmoor and will use it on deer and elk. I have looked at getting some of the non lead bullets to try. But if they are no better or worse I of course don’t want him to waste my money. Thanks

There isn't a "best bullet" except one that shoots well in his rifle assuming he knows where to put that bullet when the time comes. Non-lead bullets are no better but also no worse just what a lot of guys prefer. If you're shooting deer you don't need some super beefy bullet but you also don't want to use a target bullet.

From a former creedmoor shooter, skip the elk. It’s just not enough, I shot 4 with it and I was less than impressed with it each time. Did it work yes, was it the best Absolutely NO.

The shots were good but it wasn’t easy to see hits and for a follow up if you shoot cows. Also didn’t have clean kills, they all needed a second shot. These were all shot with 140g premium bullets under 400 yards.

I switched to a 300 Sherman (30-06 on the juice) and significant difference once the trigger is pulled.

Hornady precision hunter 143g
Berger EOL 156g

Those are the two rounds I am using. Precision hunter has performed well on all in the past for me. The Bergers shoot great for me but haven’t been able to put any real world hunting kills in the books with them yet. Hopefully by the end of this year I will. Good luck finding them though, I have seen lots of the rounds suitable for deer and smaller come on the market. The heavier rounds are few and far between if not impossible.

Hornady precision hunter 143g
Berger EOL 156g

Those are the two rounds I am using. Precision hunter has performed well on all in the past for me. The Bergers shoot great for me but haven’t been able to put any real world hunting kills in the books with them yet. Hopefully by the end of this year I will. Good luck finding them though, I have seen lots of the rounds suitable for deer and smaller come on the market. The heavier rounds are few and far between if not impossible.
Does the percision hunter have the ELDX bullet?

I purchased a Savage AxisII in 6.5 two years ago but only started shooting it last September. I’ve got 140 gr Remington CoreLokt and the 143 ELDX. It’s a cheap rifle but it’s a shooter. Anyway, it likes both of those loads. I killed a buck with it last year using the CoreLokt and broke both front shoulders. Loaned the rifle to a friend for his son to use and he killed his first buck with it which was great. So I can safely recommend the CoreLokt for deer. But re Elk, I’d have to agree with @Addicting. There’s no way I’d use a 6.5 Creedmoor for Elk. Way too many better choices out there.

I purchased a Savage AxisII in 6.5 two years ago but only started shooting it last September. I’ve got 140 gr Remington CoreLokt and the 143 ELDX. It’s a cheap rifle but it’s a shooter. Anyway, it likes both of those loads. I killed a buck with it last year using the CoreLokt and broke both front shoulders. Loaned the rifle to a friend for his son to use and he killed his first buck with it which was great. So I can safely recommend the CoreLokt for deer. But re Elk, I’d have to agree with @Addicting. There’s no way I’d use a 6.5 Creedmoor for Elk. Way too many better choices out there.
That is good to know. I was curious how the corelokt work in the 6.5. How are the ballistics there. I would imagine the ELDX shoot flatter right? Do the Corelokt still give you pretty good range?

That is good to know. I was curious how the corelokt work in the 6.5. How are the ballistics there. I would imagine the ELDX shoot flatter right? Do the Corelokt still give you pretty good range?
To be honest I don’t really know. Sighted in 1.5”’ high at 100 yards and killed the buck at probably 40 yards. Definitely not the best test for ballistics. I’m sure the Hornady would have better ballistics though.

as a killer you cant go past good old reliable partition,even a 125 gr does a solid job,ive had them penetrate very well on bull tahr

Wife shoots 6.5 creedmoor and has killed several deer and antope with Berger 130 grain otm....

My Dad hunts whitetails with a 6.5 Creedmoor, out to 300 yards, and it’s a great round for that purpose. He shot 127gr Barnes LRX for a couple years but got tired of having to track deer with the minimal blood loss from the tiny entrance and exit holes. Tracking jobs were usually only 100 yards or so but that’s a long way on your hands and knees in a briar thicket. Switched to 123gr Absolute Hammers and now they don’t run anymore.

124 grain Hammer Hunter. My Tikka 6.5 loves em (as most rifles do). Super easy to load and tune and exceptional terminal performance.

Attachments

• 124 gr Hammer.JPG
    124 gr Hammer.JPG
    727.6 KB · Views: 16
Mine shoots all that I have tried at 1MOA or less. I am currently shooting 125 bull dozers and shooting 1/3 MOA with my hand loads. Others I have shot, Hornady 143's, 130 bergers, 127 barnes, 130 AB

You really need to let the gun tell you what is best.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back