Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best Bourbon???

Timely bump on this as at a random dive bar in Santa Cruz, CA lastnight and was pleasantly surprised at their bourbon selection. More impressive than the selection was the pours, very heavy handed.

11024691_10205539295496485_5039930857736430905_n.jpg

More direct to the topic I went through my purchase history over the last 2 years. Nothing really disappointed below but if I had to pick a favorite producer right now it'd be Willett for pure quality and relative value. For interesting and fun the Orphan Barrel collection has been really fun to sample.

Angel's Envy 100 Proof Rye Whiskey
Corbin Cash Merced Rye Whiskey
Four Roses K&L Exclusive OBSF Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon
Four Roses K&L Exclusive OBSO Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon
Four Roses K&L Exclusive OESF Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon
Jefferson's Ocean Voyage #4 Aged at Sea Very Small Batch Bourbon
Maker's Mark Cask Strength Bourbon
Michter's Limited Release US 1 Barrel Strength Rye
Orphan Barrel Old Blowhard 26 Year Old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
Orphan Barrel Barterhouse 20 Year Old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet 22 Year Old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 20 Year Old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
Pappy Van Winkle 20yr Bourbon
Russell's Reserve K&L Exclusive Single Barrel #17 Kentucky Bourbon
Taos Lightning 17 Year Old K&L Exclusive Cask #15 Single Barrel Straight Rye Whiskey
Willett 10 Year K&L Exclusive Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon
Willett 8 Year Single Barrel Cask Strength Rye

Makers Mark trivia
..In January 2014 it was announced that "the maker of classic American whiskeys Jim Beam and Maker's Mark has agreed to be acquired by a Japanese company Suntory in a $13.62 billion deal that would create the third largest global premium spirits business."[12] News of the proposed sale included bourbon executives vowing, "the product taste won't change — and neither will the company's historic purity standards."[13]

"I used to drink Bourbon and when I did it was......I forget?"

I loved it ,but have not drank since '89 .....I could put some away and still get away.

I don't drink much bourbon but when I do I really like the stuff made over in Joseph, Oregon. They call themselves the Stein Distillery. :)

I classify these premium bourbons in the $30-40 range as excellent value whiskeys, based on the market right now. Currently, I have these as top of the list:

1. Four Roses Small Batch - my favorite out there right now too, from a value side at about $31 a bottle.
2. Eagle Rare - $32 for a 10 year old single barrel is a steal.
3. Jefferson's Very Small Batch - $30 for a very good whiskey.
4. Woodford Reserve - $35 for a great every day drinker.

And for the $20-30 bottles:
1. Buffalo Trace - $25
2. Elijah Craig 12 - $26 for this 12 year old. They are rumored to be removing the age statement off of this one, so if you see a 12, you may want to buy it up.

NOTE: These are Alabama ABC store prices.

Evan Williams is my absolute favorite in the "single barrel" division. Mostly, because the quality just can't be beat for the price. I suppose Knob Creek would take second based on price and availability. But, there's a lot of high quality out there for a reasonable price these days. I'm just not too picky.

I guess it might make sense to get a bottle of Old Crow or Kentucky Gentleman every now and then to remind myself why I once swore I'd never drink it again.....

Anyone tried Russel's Reserve, distilled by Wild Turkey. A 10 year old bottle found its way into my house4-5 months ago. It is almost gone.

I try not to discriminate between the heritage of my whiskey. I like: Scotch, Irish, Bourbon as long as they are good quality.

If I had to commit to one bottle of bourbon, it would be Angel's Envy.

"Best "bourbon is a tough one....blondes, brunettes, tall, short....lots of favorites out there...
I received as a gift a few years back a bottle of Black Maple Hill small batch bourbon. Tricky to find, but a good sipping bourbon for sure. I also like Basil Hayden's and for some high octane sipping, give Booker's a try (it is around 126 proof, I believe, but actually drinkable.)

Basil Hayden is a fantastic sipping bourbon. The hint of rye makes it for me, as well as the fact being that it's not very sweet.

Makes great classic cocktails, but I drink it with one or two rocks and a bordeaux cherry or an orange twist.

The only one that beats it out for me is Eagle Rare 17 Year. It's insane. But it's also impossible to find in MT so if you can find it somewhere else, snag it while you can.

Had some friends over lastnight for dinner and we ended up sampling a bunch of what I have on hand. More importantly than drinking great bourbon I had an epiphany of what I am going to do for life after taxes and that is open a restaurant/bar called "Bourbon and Cookies" Who wouldn't love bourbon paired with great cookies.

11143263_10205545220364603_6300278101723039105_o.jpg

I'm in for Bourbon and Cookies!

Quick question: can anyone tell me why some whiskeys are spelled with an "e" and some aren't? Example: Makers Mark Whisky vs. Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey.

Also: Buffalo Trace, Woodford, Elijah Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back