Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best all around caliber for the Tikka T3x Lite in Montana

Can’t go wrong with any of them. I personally went with a tikka 30-06 but that’s because it was on sale. If the others would have been on sale I’d have went that direction instead

As a relative beginner I think the 7mm08 is the perfect choice for you. .308, 6.5cm and .270 would also be good options.

My SIL picked up a used Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag one year. It was light and I went with him to zero it. he works alot ( that's one reason I "gave away" my daughter to him! :)) so bought some HSM ammor with the 168 Bergers. That thing shot like a varmint rifle, and was surprisingly very easy in recoil! I've shot light weight 308s that kicked more! So, since you are getting started, yes, something like the 7mm08 is a good one, but if you ever felt like you might want to add a "bigger" caliber later, check out the Tikkas in 7mm Mag. I have no idea if a similar one in 300WM would feel the same, but a properly loaded 7mm Rem Mag will do very well for a deer/antelope/elk further out. Now, if you find, like me, that you just don't "like" shooting game beyond 375 or so, your 7mm08 is your huckleberry. Put a good Premium bullet in it and kill elk just fine too. But don't get discouraged by anything, go and learn and have fun!

My SIL picked up a used Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag one year. It was light and I went with him to zero it. he works alot ( that's one reason I "gave away" my daughter to him! :)) so bought some HSM ammor with the 168 Bergers. That thing shot like a varmint rifle, and was surprisingly very easy in recoil! I've shot light weight 308s that kicked more! So, since you are getting started, yes, something like the 7mm08 is a good one, but if you ever felt like you might want to add a "bigger" caliber later, check out the Tikkas in 7mm Mag. I have no idea if a similar one in 300WM would feel the same, but a properly loaded 7mm Rem Mag will do very well for a deer/antelope/elk further out. Now, if you find, like me, that you just don't "like" shooting game beyond 375 or so, your 7mm08 is your huckleberry. Put a good Premium bullet in it and kill elk just fine too. But don't get discouraged by anything, go and learn and have fun!
I have one in 300WSM and it is has the recoil I would expect - not better, not worse. Perceived recoil has a lot to do with "fit", so maybe the Tikka stock fits you really well.

My personal feeling about the Tikka is, since they are already a long action no matter the chambering, you might as well go with a long action cartridge. I love my T3 30-06, but would love to also have one in 270 Win. I also really like the Limbsaver recoil pad that I added to it

I’ll vote 270 or 30-06. If a store has ammo, it has one of those two. Either will kill everything on your list.

All are great rounds. I would tend towards a 30-06 for a do-it-all type round. Especially for elk and if you ever draw moose. That being said, all those rounds will kill anything.

One of my hunting partners here in Utah has used the same Browning BLR since 1970, in .308! He uses 150gr Corlokt ( factory) and has killed scores of elk/mule deer/antelope and one wild Bison down in the Henry Mountains. So, nothing wrong with a .308, can be a very good choice for you.

Thank you all so much for the help! I can’t tell you guys how much I appreciate the input.

I have no idea if a similar one in 300WM would feel the same, but a properly loaded 7mm Rem Mag will do very well for a deer/antelope/elk further out.
My “go to” gun for most all big game larger than a coyote is my Tikka 3x Lite SS in 300WSM. It has substantially more kick and recoil than my son’s 308 Savage, but after putting a limb saver on it, it is quite manageable. Without the limb saver, I would have shoulder pain after 10 rounds. With it, I can shoot 20-30 rounds with no effects. I know a lot of people put muzzle brakes on these larger caliber rifles, but after putting lots of rounds down range with it, I can get pretty tight groups out to 200-300 yds without it. Like anything, it’s all about practice and confidence (which only comes with practice).

I’m not necessarily advocating 300WSM. Limited selection of factory ammo compared to other more mainstream calibers, and not exactly cheap. But I was in the market for a Tikka, and I found a great deal on this one in 300WSM and couldn’t pass it up. Winchester Deer Season and Federal Fusion both make a 150 grain 300WSM, which is what I sometimes use for mule deer. Nosler only goes as low as 165 grain. I use 180 grain Nosler for elk. Theres definitely more kick on the Nosler 180 grains, but it’s still manageable. If I’m combo hunting, I go with Nosler 165 grain.

.270WSM. I have killed elk, deer and antelope. In my opinion its one of the best all around cartridges.

I've actually been looking at the 7mm-08 more since I didn't know much about it, but I think I'm going to go 308 or 30-06. I'm really bad at these sort of decisions, lol.
If you are new to centerfire rifle shooting starting with the 7mm08 is a no brainer. If you have experience then all are decent choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back