Caribou Gear Tarp

Best all around caliber for the Tikka T3x Lite in Montana

The 7-08 is a good round. Don't get me wrong. But the ammo isn't available everywhere. A lot of places, but not everywhere. If you were a realoader, i'd say gopherit. But, there really isn't any noticeable difference to me in the .308 and 7-08 on recoil and there sure as hell isn't any difference on game. Both are capable for all listed.

The .30-06 will be bit more but certainly not a heavy recoiling round. The stock on the T3 doesn't fit me for squat so, that wouldn't be my choice. I'm assuming you've fondled a few to decide which one fits you the best? In a Tikka there is ZERO advantage to get a .308 over a .30-06 since all the actions lengths are the same. Plus, in the 06 you can shoot 130-220gr bullets and not skip a beat.
I've held a few and really like the fit. Could you elaborate a little more on there being no difference between the two because the they're both long action? I see the weight is the same on both and chambering the next round would be the same because of the length of the bolt. But is everything else the same or different? Accuracy, recoil, power. I would guess those would depend more on the round, not the bolt action, right? Just want to make sure I understand everything.

I've held a few and really like the fit. Could you elaborate a little more on there being no difference between the two because the they're both long action? I see the weight is the same on both and chambering the next round would be the same because of the length of the bolt. But is everything else the same or different? Accuracy, recoil, power. I would guess those would depend more on the round, not the bolt action, right? Just want to make sure I understand everything.

Tikka doesn't make a short action for the short action calibers. They just use the same action for everything. In other rifles, a short action means less weight.

Have to quit shaking my head at this question. What make the OP think the best cartridge for his Tikka T3 lite in Montana will be any different than the best cartridge in a different brand rifle in Idaho? Bottom line there is no right answer to this question. You'll get in most any rifle only what is offered by the manufacturer and then there are probably several that will work!

Have to quit shaking my head at this question. What make the OP think the best cartridge for his Tikka T3 lite in Montana will be any different than the best cartridge in a different brand rifle in Idaho? Bottom line there is no right answer to this question. You'll get in most any rifle only what is offered by the manufacturer and then there are probably several that will work!

If there was a best for that and a best for this and best for here and a best for there don'tchya spose the manufacturers would be offering same? I shake my head at this too.

With any caliber, it really just realizes on shot placement. I have and have killed pronghorn, sheep, and elk with it. When I was on an elk hunt I dropped my bull at 225 yards while the bull one guy shot went about 100 yards. As for 6.5 I would keep shots under 350 when looking at ballistics for elk.

If there was a best for that and a best for this and best for here and a best for there don'tchya spose the manufacturers would be offering same? I shake my head at this too.
I agree, "The Best" is not an absolute fact to be determined as you point out. I do think it is reasonably for newer hunters/shooters to ask, what is your preference, why is that your preference and what do you see as the pros/cons of your choice. Otherwise they will unknowingly get stuck buying what ever the gun shop is incented to sell at the moment. While there are at least a dozen viable cartridges for mainstream NA big game hunting, there are subtle differences between them that may make a buyer choose one over the other. No harm in asking that.

This is exactly correct. So, in a Tikka, there is 0 advantage to get a .308 unless you want one.
Unless you want to have less recoil, burn less powder, etc.

No earth shaking differences, but the difference pro/con is not 0. If both are sitting on the shelf there are reasons to pick one or the other - of course they will both be fine for OPs purpose.

Unless you want to have less recoil, burn less powder, etc.

No earth shaking differences, but the difference pro/con is not 0. If both are sitting on the shelf there are reasons to pick one or the other - of course they will both be fine for OPs purpose.

Agree. But, debatable. While I don't thing the recoil of the .308 is heavy at all, I have a few rifles that I certainly don't like it. The same rifles in .30-06 "act" differently and it's more tolerable.

Looking into the 28 ackley improved when you have time

Looking into the 28 ackley improved when you have time
Unless OP wants to, that would require a gunsmith as Tikka doesn't offer that factory. If he is open to the idea, I'd say it would be a great recommendation.

Unless OP wants to, that would require a gunsmith as Tikka doesn't offer that factory. If he is open to the idea, I'd say it would be a great recommendation.
That would require a little finding to a rep gun smith. But can be done for sure and keep similar feel of 270 with a next level ballistic! Just thinking outside the box for an idea. Do it once and be done kind of rifle

I bought a Tikka T3 Lite back in '06 chambered in .338 Win Mag........not a great choice! Don't get me wrong, it was an elk killing machine, and deer? Whammo!! But the recoil was brutal on such a light weight rifle. I broke two variable scopes on it before i decided to put a fixed 4X on it. It was my primary big game rifle for 5 years before I had a gunsmith buddy of mine put a new barrel on it, and chambered it in .264 Win Mag (same bolt face, easy switch). Now this has been my PBGR for 9 years, no regrets.
I realize i could have tried a brake on the original set up, but I'm not a fan of the increased noise. Maybe a can would've helped, but at that time, was not really a viable option.
I hope to re-try to .338, as i feel it is the perfect elk caliber, but more research will be in order this time.

I personally think this is a no brainer. Go with the 30-06 and here's why: the Tikka ONLY comes in a long action. For the .308 family they pin the bolt so it doesn't travel as far back and block off the exact same mag. .308 is a fantastic and incredibly capable beautifully designed round that is great for everything you just listed, but the only advantage over an '06 is it comes in a more compact rifle than the aught six. With Tikka you are foregoing this benefit. Tikka T3x is my go to rig in '06. I think it's the best bang for your buck you can possibly get. You can't go wrong with a .270 either though... Also be sure to get reasonably lightweight mounts and rings and get the best lightweight scope you can afford. You'll quickly find you want to be as lightweight as humanly possible as you chase elk through the ridiculous country they saunter through.

VG, I grew up in a different time. We shot the Hell out of our .22's, then right to the .06 to hunt big game. I guess grooming new shooters is a good idea. mtmuley

My shooting career is all messed up. Parents don’t hunt or even shoot guns but they bought me a BB gun when I was younger Grandpa gave me a 12 gauge and a mec reloading press when I was 8 and I shot the hell out of that thing. I didn’t get a .22 to shoot until I was 11. I guess being 8 years old and shooting my 12 gauge almost daily (we lived in the middle of nowhere) helped me deal with recoil as I didn’t know any different

Hey guys,
I’m moving to Montana and looking to pick up a new rifle for hunting in the area. I have a 7mm-08 that I love using and a Christensen 300 PRC. I’m thinking about selling the 300 PRC and getting something that I can buy ammo for more regularly and not have to reload all the time, it’s a great rifle I just don’t have as much time to reload anymore. What are your thoughts on 300wm or 300wsm. I have a 7mm so I think it would be nice to have a 30 as well. Any suggestions?

A new rifle is always a good thing, but how many rounds a year to you fire through a hunting rifle? Just handload 200 rounds of 300PRC before you put away the gear and don't worry about it for a decade. As between 300wm and 300wsm essentially a coin toss for most hunters.

A new rifle is always a good thing, but how many rounds a year to you fire through a hunting rifle? Just handload 200 rounds of 300PRC before you put away the gear and don't worry about it for a decade. As between 300wm and 300wsm essentially a coin toss for most hunters.
Yeah, you’re probably right about loading up and then using it over the length of the year. I’m kinda torn, and to be honest it might just be wanting another rifle haha.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back