Caribou Gear

Best .30-06 parent case cartridge

I could have saved a lot of money if I hunted with just one rifle, that being a 30-06.

With that said, I currently have in the 06 lineup a 270, 280, 280 AI, and 338-06. Really want 6.5-06 to add to the bunch, and wish I hadn't sold my 25-06. Sure, lots of overlap here, but that is OK. I admit, I just like rifles way too much!

I knew it would be a while before I could afford multiple hunting rifles, so I decided to pick one that I felt would do whatever I needed. I chose 30-06. But part of that was also because everyone kept telling me to get a .270 and I like to be a little bit of a contrarian.

I’ve always liked the .30-06 and mine has done me well so far. But I am in the finishing stages of a .338-06 that I have rebarreled and hope to wring it out this year.

Fortunately we all get to vote with our wallets, and choose what we want.

Personally, I haven't met a 30-06 based cartridge that I didn't like. They all seem to have merit.

My favorite is the original, the 30-06 itself. A couple of seasons ago I used mine, all with the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, to take: elk, black bear, mule deer & pronghorn. Only the muley required a second shot, he was down but not done.

Also took it to Alaska with 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Used that good old 30-06 to take grizzly and wolf.

Over the years I've also had great success with the 25-06, but I love the simplicity of one rifle, one scope, one load for the vast majority of my hunting, and the 30-06 does that just fine for me.

Here's a book, well worth reading for hunters:
FAeM6Dfl.jpg

The fellow, over a period of quite a few years, takes a simple Remington 700 30-06 and hunts most of the different big game species in North America, mostly with just the 165 gr Nosler Partition, though he bumped up to the 200 gr Nosler Partition for Alaskan brown bear and perhaps something else. Thirty some odd different species, all with one rifle. Mostly with one load. I think we sometimes make this way more complicated than necessary.

Regards, Guy

For what it's worth 30-06 isn't the original, it came from the 30-03 which came from the 30-01 which was based off the 7x57 which itself came from the 8x57.

This was because the Americans in the Spanish american wars despite winning realised that the 30-40 krag was a POS compared to Spanish 7x57 (7mm Spanish mauser) which had far better accuracy and range.

Post war they realised they needed to improve their infantry rifles to avoid being left behind hence the development mentioned above. Interesting stuff.

I have 30-06 and 7x57 (stamped 275 Rigby) both great. But man the rigby is a delight to shoot

I love them all, as the 06 case is my favorite. If I could choose just one, I’d take the .280 if I was allowed to handload. .30-06 if I couldn’t. I currently have the 25-06, 270, 280, and several 30-06s.

Reactions: Guy
This is definitely one of this "tastes great... Less filling" sort of threads, but I'll throw in. I've had a 25-06 and a couple of .270s. Of the the 30-06 offspring I've had some experience with, I'm partial to the .270.

They all have their uses, but in terms of cartridge families, I actually like the .308 and cartridges based on it a little better.

I have a Remington 700 LSS in 30-06 that is going to become either a 280 AI or a 338-06. If I still lived in a state where I could hunt elk every year, I think I would choose a 20” 338-06.

This is definitely one of this "tastes great... Less filling" sort of threads, but I'll throw in.

They all have their uses, but in terms of cartridge families, I actually like the .308 and cartridges based on it a little better.
Cool. Let's steer off in that direction!
What would be you good folks opinion on "the best" 308 parent case cartridge?

BTW, of course it's a "tastes great....Less filling" type discussion . It's just for entertainment purposes. I enjoy hearing people's opinions on guns, ammo, archery, whatever. Fills the time until fall and very often I learn something along the way.

Cool. Let's steer off in that direction!
What would be you good folks opinion on "the best" 308 parent case cartridge?

BTW, of course it's a "tastes great....Less filling" type discussion . It's just for entertainment purposes. I enjoy hearing people's opinions on guns, ammo, archery, whatever. Fills the time until fall and very often I learn something along the way.

I love my 7mm HT, but I think I might pick up a .243 soon for a truck gun....when in doubt over a new gun, I tell my wife I want it for a truck gun...I'm up to 4 now

Recently bought a Browning hells canyon speed in 30/06. Hand loading 190 grain LR accubonds, reaching 2840 at the muzzel, extreamly accurate out to 400yrds. Hope I get to knock one down this elk season. Definitely an 06 fan!

For what it's worth 30-06 isn't the original, it came from the 30-03 which came from the 30-01 which was based off the 7x57 which itself came from the 8x57.

This was because the Americans in the Spanish american wars despite winning realised that the 30-40 krag was a POS compared to Spanish 7x57 (7mm Spanish mauser) which had far better accuracy and range.

Post war they realised they needed to improve their infantry rifles to avoid being left behind hence the development mentioned above. Interesting stuff.

I have 30-06 and 7x57 (stamped 275 Rigby) both great. But man the rigby is a delight to shoot

Seem's to me I read the only difference between the 30-03 and 30-06 was bullet weight. 30-03 used a heavy bullet and 30-06 a lighter bullet.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back