Best .30-06 parent case cartridge

I've only had a couple 30-06's over the years and never hunted with them. No idea why just never did. Last few years I got out one I inherited from a very close friend and turned it into my elk rifle. Kills elk just fine. Favorite on the case, well in truth, awful hard to beat the 30-06 itself. I've got a 26-06 and love it, 6.5x06 and love it. Had a 270 and it just never turned me on much. Also had a 280 and loved it. On the 06 case if I was to pick what I though was the est cartridge other than the 30-06, I think it would be the 280 Rem. Reason being good number of bullet weight's for hunting about anything! Probably could throw in the 6.5x06 but I've never found bullet's for it in local store's, within 75mi, heavier than 140gr! I read of a supposed problem with 6.5's according to Bell. Heavy bullet's were to long and could bend penetrating. Don't know how much a problem that would really be, maybe none! The 280 Rem with 150gr bullet's I'd think is ideal for about all N. American game except bear. Then I'd go to 175gr bullet's.

This is a really lousy thread! Sitting here talking about it and now thinking I need a new 280 Rem! I just don't shoot a lot anymore. Getting to old I guess! But maybe I really should have one, prefer it over the 7mm mag! Not a 7mm one in with my gun's anymore!

Reactions: Guy
I found a pretty interesting article (Click Here) on the .270 Win and the 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't know the author or if he is creditable, but it is interesting none the less. I think the .270 is still in the running and a pretty awesome round, able to hold it's own. The only limitations, I think is bullet options. It seems to have settled to basically 3common options; the 130grn, the 140grn, and the 150grn. Years ago I think you could get a 190grn, but it doesn't seem to like heavier bullets.

My favorite one is the .280 Rem. Yeah, I own a .270 Win as well, but my son has claimed it. I have a .270WSM that I love, but the .280 Rem. gets my nod when I am deer hunting. I am wanting to go with a .280AI in the near future though. If I lived anywhere else but Alaska, I'd probably give the 6.5-06 a whirl. I know when I lived in TX, they were pretty popular for many guys there.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back