Best .270 Ammunition

If I was hunting elk with a 270 and I have, I would use either a 130gr partition or a 130 ttsx/lrx/etip/gmax. Wouldn't loose any sleep over it either.

I worked up a load of 60gr/R26 and 160 Nosler (in my last .270W) that went 2930fps into .90".....22" barrel! I used to hunt with a Mod 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag and never got over 2950 with it and the 160 Nosler PT, 24" barrel (back in the 80s)! They should work the same, one would think? ha

I have never shot an elk with a rifle but I have shot several with my bow. I find it humorous when I read that you need a howitzer to kill an elk. A well placed arrow will bring down a full sized bull usually within 75 yards and I have had two bulls not make it nearly that far. If I were to go rifle hunting one day, I would not hesitate for one millisecond about using my 270. It's all about placing the bullet (or arrow) in the right spot. No bull on the planet can tote a double lung shot with a 130 grain bullet traveling at 3000 fps.

I have never shot an elk with a rifle but I have shot several with my bow. I find it humorous when I read that you need a howitzer to kill an elk. A well placed arrow will bring down a full sized bull usually within 75 yards and I have had two bulls not make it nearly that far. If I were to go rifle hunting one day, I would not hesitate for one millisecond about using my 270. It's all about placing the bullet (or arrow) in the right spot. No bull on the planet can tote a double lung shot with a 130 grain bullet traveling at 3000 fps.
Even with a thin jacketed bullet at 600 yards??? Just asking for a friend.lol.

My shots are more like 7, 18 & 30 yds. I would hope most hunters could at least cut the 600 yd distance in half.
I'll back it up to 400 to 450 yards .. would you still use a thin jacketed 130 grain in a 270?? After all you are rifle hunting now.

I'll back it up to 400 to 450 yards .. would you still use a thin jacketed 130 grain in a 270?? After all you are rifle hunting now.
Why would you use a thinkjacketed bullet is my question. Even more so at 4-600 yards. Whatever, this has now gravitated to ridiculous.

Why would you use a thinkjacketed bullet is my question. Even more so at 4-600 yards. Whatever, this has now gravitated to ridiculous.
My apologies I'm just having a little fun .on serious note doesn't ever rifle have it's limitations.. like a well experienced hunter using a .243 would know exactly where it would perform at and where it wouldn't. Just asking for a friend.

Now it makes more sense why you didn’t find the 2 elk you shot....
Lol..i didn't use a thin jacketed bullet or take a 600 yard shot. Just making some points what might be a bad idea at longer ranges .I don't know might tell my friend that a nice premium bullet in a 165 grain or heavier with more energy down range would work better for a 400 yard shot .

Please stop and go sit in the corner. Just asking for a friend.

giphy.gif

When I bought my Browing A-bolt in .270 I bought a box of 130 grain Remington Core Lokts and took it to the range. Like others have said, they shot a perfectly acceptable group at 100yds. I handload for my rifles, though, so I developed a load using 130gr Accubonds, which I have really liked. I'm sure you can find those bullets in a factory load if you're interested.

So found this video and it shows exactly that a larger caliber doesn’t make up for a bad shot.. just to save you some time this guy shoots a mule deer with a 30-378 wby.. the deer drops then they say the deer gets up after a few mins and takes off with very little blood never to be found... so once again larger caliber doesn’t make up for a bad shot

I guess this Coronavirus has got me on line to much but I wanted to say in all seriousness that you guys are 100 percent correct shot placement is always the biggest factor no matter what and being a ethical hunter. I guess some my feelings that I have developed is because back in Wyoming i got made fun of right out of the gate for bringing what they called the deer rifle on a elk hunt.. I was the only one around with a .270 everyone else had larger calibers..then I had a bad hunt on top of that . I guess that's the way it goes in life sometimes Maybe some of the high shoulder whitetail habit might not helped either especially when you got the andreline going .. I will try and do better on the next hunt. I'm still going to take the 300 when I draw again because I already bought it lol.. I am the type of cat that likes to joke around on the message board some and i will even poke fun at myself... The gifs are funny didn't bother me. Just don't curse at me like one dude did that sent me P.Ms . If you respectful to me.. I will be respectful back. Guess I been letting some of my frustrations out from back in 2018 . I hope this clears some things up .

I guess this Coronavirus has got me on line to much but I wanted to say in all seriousness that you guys are 100 percent correct shot placement is always the biggest factor no matter what and being a ethical hunter. I guess some my feelings that I have developed is because back in Wyoming i got made fun of right out of the gate for bringing what they called the deer rifle on a elk hunt.. I was the only one around with a .270 everyone else had larger calibers..then I had a bad hunt on top of that . I guess that's the way it goes in life sometimes Maybe some of the high shoulder whitetail habit might not helped either especially when you got the andreline going .. I will try and do better on the next hunt. I'm still going to take the 300 when I draw again because I already bought it lol.. I am the type of cat that likes to joke around on the message board some and i will even poke fun at myself... The gifs are funny didn't bother me. Just don't curse at me like one dude did that sent me P.Ms . If you respectful to me.. I will be respectful back. Guess I been letting some of my frustrations out from back in 2018 . I hope this clears some things up .
My observation is I'm not impressed with the guys you elk hunt with.

I am currently loading up some 130 NABs for my daughter to use on a cow elk hunt in ‘21. They only run about 2720fps, but shots will be inside of 250yd. I feel comfortable with this based on my elk hunting experience from ‘18...

Preparing for my first elk hunt, I bought a 30-06 and developed some incredibly accurate loads using 165 and 180 NABs. I already had a .270 Win that shot quite well, but felt that a 30-06 would be better. Kinda like Hootowl, I had some guys trying to convince me that I needed a magnum for elk, and I found a screaming deal on a Tikka T3 338 WM. Needless to say, that wasn’t a good idea and I sold it to a guy that wanted to shoot something punishing occasionally, just because. I ended up sticking with the 30-06.

When I showed up to camp, all of the experienced hunters started talking about rifles and calibers, and most were shooting 270s and 30-06s. A few newcomers were shooting magnums, but they also had really fancy expensive clothes and gadgets.

I went out on the first morning and passed a shot on a truly magnificent bull that was inside of 100 yards, but was picket-fenced through the Aspens. I never had a clear shot at its vitals, so I waited for later.

At a little after noon on that day I had a decent (for the area) 5x5 step into an opening at 75 yards, quartering to. The outfitter STRONGLY recommended against a shoulder shot, so I shot behind the shoulder, and the bullet exited through the guts. In hindsight I should have taken the point of the shoulder out, as it would have gotten to the vitals with plenty of power, but live and learn. The bull ran about 75 yards, and I put two more shots in it, but it was dead on the first shot but didn’t know it yet.

I really feel like a 270 with a good bullet would have been plenty sufficient, and won’t hesitate to take a 30-06 or 270 for future elk hunts, if God blesses me with the opportunity.

Pick a rifle that you are comfortable with, a good bullet, lots of practice, and get out there and hunt. I am not a fan of magnum recoil or muzzle blast, so I will stick with the “standard calibers,” but do prefer a medium-to-heavy-for-caliber bullet over velocityF0D882E9-372F-4C3A-A3F0-E6C65DB01238.jpeg

Last edited:
I am currently loading up some 130 NABs for my daughter to use on a cow elk hunt in ‘21. They only run about 2720fps, but shots will be inside of 250yd. I feel comfortable with this based on my elk hunting experience from ‘18...

Preparing for my first elk hunt, I bought a 30-06 and developed some incredibly accurate loads using 165 and 180 NABs. I already had a .270 Win that shot quite well, but felt that a 30-06 would be better. Kinda like Hootowl, I had some guys trying to convince me that I needed a magnum for elk, and I found a screaming deal on a Tikka T3 338 WM. Needless to say, that wasn’t a good idea and I sold it to a guy that wanted to shoot something punishing occasionally, just because. I ended up sticking with the 30-06.

when I showed up to camp, all of the experienced hunters started talking about rifles and calibers, and most were shooting 270s and 30-06s. A few newcomers were shooting magnums, but they also had really fancy expensive clothes and gadgets.

I went out on the first morning and passed a shoton a truly magnificent bull that was inside of 100 yards, but was picket-fenced through the Aspens. I never had a clear shot, so I waited for later.

At a little after noon on that day I had a decent (for the area) 5x5 step into an opening at 75 yards, quartering to. The outfitter STRONGLY recommended against a shoulder shot, so I shot behind the shoulder, and the bullet exited through the guts. In hindsight I should have taken the point of the shoulder out, as it would have gotten to the vitals with plenty of power, but live and learn. The bill ran about 75 yards, and I put two more shots in it, but it was dead on the first shot but didn’t know it yet.

I really feel like a 270 with a good bullet would have been plenty sufficient, and won’t hesitate to take a 30-06 or 270 for future elk hunts, if God blesses me with the opportunity.

Pick a rifle that you are comfortable with, a good bullet, lots of practice, and get out there and hunt. I am not a fan of magnum recoil or muzzle blast, so I will stick with the “standard calibers,” but do prefer a medium-to-heavy-for-caliber bullet over velocity
Oh yeah, I really like NABs, so I would go with a 140 NAB for my preference in a 270 load. The below are 130 NABs out of the 270 that my daughter will be using for cow elk and pronghorn 2247D95C-0417-427A-97FC-131E88F72EA4.jpeg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back