MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Berger Elite Hunter Performance

Black Elk

I know that everyone has their opinions but I wanted to share mine. I typically am an Accubond or Hammer type of guy but the 250 Berger Elite Hunter shot so well in my 338 SS. I took a deer earlier this week and was extremely surprised I found the bullet in this condition. Entry was just behind the shoulder and I found this on top of the opposite shoulder. Not trying to debate on what I should or shouldn't have done, but just wanted to share my experience. Impact velocity was a touch over 2,000 FPS.

Attachments

• 65897279095__395D8FEC-EADE-4F9A-A14A-8C08B33901F8.JPG
    65897279095__395D8FEC-EADE-4F9A-A14A-8C08B33901F8.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2231.JPG
    IMG_2231.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
Wild! I had drastically different results on my mountain goat. 156g

image.jpg

And this is what it did to my antelope this year. This is the exit wound and what I found when I lifted up the antelope. It did not take a step though!
30ABD0D6-32F4-4CE9-AD5C-8FABA2C895CE.jpeg3578F849-AE0E-4DE7-BC70-E9D2F2CA726D.jpeg

That’s nuts, my daughter shot a deer last year with a 140 elite hunter from 6.5 cm through the neck at 500 and we found the bullet in that exact condition along the spine when pulling the back straps. We have used the 156/6.5 and 195/7mm lots and they have performed similarly to vlds.

This was a 195 @ 794 , impact velocity 2234

BB9583DE-3A5B-4A16-AE1F-716A28DC1B0F.jpeg

I don’t see how a 250 that didn’t expand wouldn’t have exited at that velocity. Crazy.

Last edited:
This is a 300gr out of a 338 Rouge. Bull elk at 80 yards. Found in offside hide, weighed 114 gr. Elk made it about 10 yards

Attachments

• 74E1E73E-1B9B-4A8B-9EE5-3ACF188F6155.jpeg
    74E1E73E-1B9B-4A8B-9EE5-3ACF188F6155.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Crazy how lots of people have different experiences with these guys. Glad they work as intended for most of you!

Yes, the deer died not 35 yards from where he was when I first hit him.

Attachments

• FEF13D92-5C32-482C-BACE-987D9624DB7C.jpeg
    FEF13D92-5C32-482C-BACE-987D9624DB7C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Wild! I had drastically different results on my mountain goat. 156g

View attachment 202349

And this is what it did to my antelope this year. This is the exit wound and what I found when I lifted up the antelope. It did not take a step though!
View attachment 202351View attachment 202350
This is what I was wanting. Just absolute carnage and a big exit wound. Looks like I’ll head To check out how Accubonds or Hammers shoot out of this rifle.

Reactions: Guy
That’s a nice buck! Congrats. I’m a big Berger fan but there are reports of certain bullets not opening like this. I drill all my Berger bullets now just for peace of mind. I’ve found some to be plugged with polishing media when drilling.

I know that everyone has their opinions but I wanted to share mine. I typically am an Accubond or Hammer type of guy but the 250 Berger Elite Hunter shot so well in my 338 SS. I took a deer earlier this week and was extremely surprised I found the bullet in this condition. Entry was just behind the shoulder and I found this on top of the opposite shoulder. Not trying to debate on what I should or shouldn't have done, but just wanted to share my experience. Impact velocity was a touch over 2,000 FPS.
No surprise here. I shot some Sierra match bullet's in 308 into newspaper years ago and the open point's closed and the bullets bent. Not saying that happens every time as I suspect it doesn't but you never know when it will. I do not like shooting HP bullet's at game! Couple years ago I read a Winchester add for their ammo with mono bullet's in them and they clearly said in the add that they put a plastic tip in them to insure expansion! I think myself we make to much out of bullet's. We seem to be looking for the best bullet but I don't think any bullet is actually best, they all work! Doesn't mean you can choose a bullet simply not up to what your doing though, certainly can. Few years ago I was lot looking for coyote's and a deer popped up, pretty nice one and I had a tag with me. Also had my 243 loaded with 75gr V-Max Hornadys, that is an explosives' varmint bullet. No matter I took the shot anyway, one shot and down right there. But I chose a spot to hit that I felt the bullet would work on, it did. I do not recommend a varmint bullet for deer but they will kill if placed right. I do not use premium bullet's, they cost to much and give me little advantage. I shoot cup and core, half the price means I get to practice more and properly placed means they kill every bit as well. Might be hard for some to believe but even today, muzzle loaders with a round ball will kill an animal very dead!

Choose the bullet to what ever suits you then use it properly and you will succeed! Buy the most expensive bullet you can find that is raved about and place it poorly and you will fail.

Wow! I'm surprised that it didn't open up. I've used Bergers on 4 mule deer, and in each case the bullets opened/fragmented, dropping the deer instantly.

Three were with the 115 grain VLD from my 25-06 at over 3100 fps: 175, 230 and 400 yards.

This year I tried the Berger Elite Hunter, 180 grain from my 30-06 at 2730 fps. Buck was at 350 yards, high shoulder shot. Instant drop, but I had to put a finishing shot into him when I walked up on the buck. All we found of the bullet were a few jacket fragments. No exit wound either.

That's the kind of performance I've come to expect of Berger, accurate, deadly, no exit wound, drops deer critters fast. So, ya, I'm surprised at your results too. Very interesting.

Normally I shoot Nosler Ballistic Tips, in 6mm, 257" and 308" - and they've done real well for me over the years taking bear, elk, mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn, coyotes.. Also use Accubonds & Partitions with good results.

Regards, Guy

Wow! I'm surprised that it didn't open up. I've used Bergers on 4 mule deer, and in each case the bullets opened/fragmented, dropping the deer instantly.

Three were with the 115 grain VLD from my 25-06 at over 3100 fps: 175, 230 and 400 yards.

This year I tried the Berger Elite Hunter, 180 grain from my 30-06 at 2730 fps. Buck was at 350 yards, high shoulder shot. Instant drop, but I had to put a finishing shot into him when I walked up on the buck. All we found of the bullet were a few jacket fragments. No exit wound either.

That's the kind of performance I've come to expect of Berger, accurate, deadly, no exit wound, drops deer critters fast. So, ya, I'm surprised at your results too. Very interesting.

Normally I shoot Nosler Ballistic Tips, in 6mm, 257" and 308" - and they've done real well for me over the years taking bear, elk, mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn, coyotes.. Also use Accubonds & Partitions with good results.

Regards, Guy
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Berger’s. I was hoping to have the exact same experience as you have had, guess it wasn’t meant to be. Absolutely loved the accuracy, just didn’t care for my sample size of 1 in terms of performance. They probably would open up 9 times out of 10, but oh well. I know a guy that has 3 unopened boxes of 338 Berger 250 EH for sale 😉

Vld’s are a totally different design than hybrids, I’ve never had a vld not perform and that’s based on 100’s of experiences with them. I’m drawn to the hybrids because they are a little easier to get to shoot but there is definitely some reports of them not expanding out there. Interestingly it seems like the vast majority of those animals still died in relatively short order.

Reactions: Guy
I’ve shot one animal with an elite hunter, the 7mm 175 grain. Worked amazingly well on an elk this year. Terminal velocity was right around 2,600 fps. Way above him so hit a little high above center mass to angle down. Bullet did not exit. He took a few steps and went 5 yards, tilted over and was on the ground in 15 seconds.

entry

12BC6BE9-127A-4C52-9B2B-66E0305A9E9E.jpeg

this was a pic taken after cutting off the front shoulder

4E5D28BF-947E-48AF-8A6F-4BFDB9222EF5.jpeg

this was his internals

064A907D-74AC-48A8-AD37-D1A43D91F51F.jpeg

IMHO that is terrible performance from a bullet, zero expansion. How far would the deer have gone with just a pencil hole through it?
But obviously the deer died.

IMHO that is terrible performance from a bullet, zero expansion. How far would the deer have gone with just a pencil hole through it?
But obviously the deer died.
Exactly my thoughts. Shot placement fortunately excellent or else I probably would have had to track him a good ways. I’m switching back to a bonded or mono bullet for hunting next year.

i luv the 175 in a 7mag, i have killed so many coyotes and big game its not funny, 3060 mv, kills out to 1018, and un der 75yds, havent shot anythi g more then once,

using the 130 vld in my 6.5 prc, this year, deer at 340, antelope at 460. neither left there tracks,,,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back