Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Berger Elite Hunter Performance

That's disappointing my 300WSM is sighted in with 180 Elite Hunters. Luckily I only bought one box of them and I've spent a few doing load development and practice. Hopefully they will perform when the time comes.
I think you will find you will like the Bergers. Everyone I have talked to and has used them with confidence. I am sure this was a once off.. 9 times out of 10 I am sure that same shot opens up and does exactly what it was designed for. However, I am more comfortable switching back to a bullet that I have a positive personal experience with.

1-10 Twist barrel. Not sure on the impact angle, but the deer was roughly 20' below my line of sight.
Then you had plenty of twist, so that’s not the issue.

I shot a deer with it’s butt facing me, but it’s front shoulders quartering away, and his head pointed backward and to the right. Hopefully you can envision that body position. Bang flop. Upon skinning I found the BASE of the bullet protruding from the neck meat against the skin on the ENTRY side of the animal. Further inspection revealed that the bullet had entered in such a way that the bullet ogive was ALMOST parallel to a rib. Striking the rib at such an angle caused a deflection, and bent the bullet to being somewhat banana shaped. The bullet then traveled up and right until it hit the spine and followed the spine for some distance before then turning farther right and tried to exit the neck over 90 degrees from the direction it had been fired from, and had been traveling base forward for an unknown distance.

The deer probably only died from shock to the spine. It never penetrated anything vital, nor did it cause substantial blood loss. Had the bullet not deflected, then it would have penetrated both lungs and either exited in front of the off-side shoulder, or broken the off-side shoulder.

Striking an animal at weird angles causes weird stuff. Hitting tiny twigs along the way can cause weird stuff too.

Attachments

• 3E8DA188-A953-4B1B-9645-FEAFA305A403.jpeg
    3E8DA188-A953-4B1B-9645-FEAFA305A403.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back