Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bell and Carlson stock/700 ADL?

The B&C ADL is made for the mountain rifle barrel profile. They don’t state that detail clear enough.
I have used several HS Precision ADL stocks and they are drop in with the factory sporter profile. I think they’re a better made stock that the B&C. Fit and finish is definitely better.
I just put a 308 ADL in a Boyds Classic. Nice looking stock, but they really need to be bedded IMO.

I put my 280AI in a B&C stock. I like the feel of the stock, very comfortable and nice high cheek piece for a good cheek weld. It's got a floated barrel channel and an aluminum bedding block, but finding I'm going to need to modify it a little. This is entirely because of the Criterion RemAge barrel nut is a little too large for the channel and makes contact directly in front of the recoil lug. I'm getting some movement of the receiver against the bedding block that seems to be causing some weird flyers and consistency problems- not to mention putting strain on the action screws. This is, of course, not the stocks fault, but there's a lot of play in the cutout for the recoil lug, so that unless everything isn't completely snugged up with the lug seated tight against the bedding block, you'll get some movement in there. I'm going to start by just sanding down the beginning of the channel to make room for the barrel nut and go from there. You're not supposed to need to glass bed these stocks, but I'll probably wind up doing that, at least bedding the recoil lug anyway.

I'd think this problem is specific to a Savage-type barrel with a nut on it, so it would probably work really great with your ADL.

I have a B&C on my Rem 700 NRA 6.5 . I don't like it. It just isn't "right" for me. On another 700 in .300 Weatherby it had a McMillan. I won't go there again. I have since replaced stocks on several of my rifles with Boyds. Just my opinion but they are the best for my level of shooting, hunting etc. They are easy to install and bed. My only complaint would be the cheap plastic trigger guards that come with the Ruger stocks. I replaced with the metal guard that they sell and am overall very happy.

You're not supposed to need to glass bed these stocks, but I'll probably wind up doing that, at least bedding the recoil lug anyway.
Take a Dremel and go to town, including the area around the barrel nut. Rebed it with Devcon.

FWIW, I have a 700 BDL with HS Precision stock. That was a drop in with no work needed. Fit is pretty nice. Same story with an SPS I bought and got a B&C stock for it. That was also a simple drop in with no fitting needed. Since both rifles shoot extremely well, I haven't bedded either of them .

For those who have replaced their factory stocks with a b&c stock, did you notice it with the factory stock you had contact/ pressure points in the fore end? Did your b&c stock come with pressure point or did you select the free floating option?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back