Beginner hunter what scope?

It's not for you.
Oh, I realize that. But my point is that a lower power helps hunters (especially new ones) get on target quicker. My daughter had a hard time when she first started “finding a deer” in a 2x scope, so acclimation to a magnified optic can be difficult for some newer hunters, especially higher powered ones. FOV is often far more important than magnification, so my variable powered scope always ride on their lowest settings, and the scopes that the OP asked about fit within the same criteria.

I think they have talked me in to the Vari X 3 2.5x8. That is my best spare scope that I am willing to part with.

I am paying for a new Timney trigger on my son's model 700 7mag and I think I will just call it their birthday presents. I told some friends what I was doing and they don't think gun accessories are typical birthday gifts. In my younger days (or now) I would have been very happy to get some gun accessories as gifts. Better than a new shirt or a neck tie.

Last edited:
I think they have talked me in to the Vari X 3 2.5x8. That is my best spare scope that I am willing to part with.

I am paying for a new Timney trigger on my son's model 700 7mag and I think I will just call it their birthday presents. I told some friends what I was doing and they don't think gun accessories are typical birthday gifts. In my younger days (or now) I would haver been very happy to get some gun accessories as gifts. Better than a new shirt or a neck tie.

Great gifts I got as a kid:
- first bb gun
- 20 gauge

Had access to other guns that were dads at appropriate ages but those were mine. Not many accessories in those days but think it counts.

Last edited:
Check out Tract Optics, they have a 2-10x model. They sell direct without any middle-man so their price is very good and their optics are excellent.

I just recently picked up a Blackhound Optics Genesis 4-14x44 FFP and it a very nice scope. It comes with flip caps, rings, lens cleaning pen and a pretty nice box. This can all be had for under $300.

Honestly, variables have caused me to blow good shots, I just had it turned up too high. (antelope, in Mesquite brush @ 250 yds...and then suddenly at 40 yds...same with a few of deer in corn, thicker stuff & cutovers). My #1 tag filler still stands supreme above all others by a wide margin. A 308 carbine with a Redfield 4x scope. (she's retire now)

Today I do indeed have a variable 3.5 X 10 on my 7/08, but it only goes to 10X at the range. In the field it never goes above 5X, usually at 4X, Period.

That said , I have decades of misses and screw-ups to look back on & have learned from.....a newbie doesn't, and probably won't heed any warning otherwise.

Check out Schmalts and get a lower end Leupold 4X for a starter. It's not as much of a handicap to learn to hunt at 4X as it is to have gizmo's to play with in the excitement of a hunt and game is right in front of you..

I have 2x7's, 3x9's, and 4x12's but, I leave them on 5 and always turn them BACK to 5 when done looking up higher.
There is always time to turn them up NEVER time to turn them down...

I might be wrong and if I am someone will correct me. Something every 2-7x scope has in common with every 2 3/4x 4x and 6x fixed power scopes is the 2-7x has those power's avaliable. and with the 4x and 6x, the scope is awfully close to the same sizr. The variable simply give's you a choice of power if you want it. I'm a fan of 2 3/4x and 4x on hunting rifles but have several variable's and they work well for me. I used them mostly on the lowest power.

This thread started in June and I mounted the 2.5 -8 Vari x 3 weeks ago. I sighted it in with 120 gr. Barnes and everything is good. Now if the forests ever open back up we might be able to hunt.

I do realize that the info posted can be useful for others and of course every situation is different. Others may not have spare scopes in the gun safe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back