Beginner hunter what scope?

brnsvllyjohn

We have a new deer hunter this year in the group and he has limited experience with scoped rifles. He has hunted with shot guns a lot more. Not a lot to hunt around here with a scoped 22 but he does shoot one at the range.
Now the gun is a Tikka youth in 7mm-08. Our choices are as follows. All of the scopes have a standard 4 plex type crosshair.

1. Leupold fixed 6 and it has been on the gun for 2 years. Very accurate gun and good clear scope.
2. Leupold Vari X 2 3 x 9. Scope has been on a couple of other guns and has never lost zero and is in great condition.
3. Leupold Vari X 3 2.5 x 8. This scope was my favorite and I have taken more deer with this scope than any other scope I own. This scope lived on my 7 mag for 20 years and it never lost zero. It was briefly on another 7mm 08 when it was new.
I like the idea of having the 2.5 x 8 as my backup scope in case something breaks mid season on any of our deer rifles. Of course any of the scopes mentioned can be a backup scope for some one and the 6 power has served that roll at least once for a hunting buddy.

I am not sure we should do anything but some think changing to a variable is the way to go. I used a fixed 4 power Leupold until I was over 30 years old. I think having a fixed power scope for a beginning hunter makes life simple. A fixed power scope cannot be on the wrong power and less things to think about for a young hunter. Just checking to see what others think about variables in a hunting situation with an inexperienced hunter.

Sounds like any of those have a good track record for zero holding, which is probably the most important, but I'd maybe lean fixed 6. I've killed quite a few animals with fixed 6x and 10x and my kids will start hunting with fixed power scopes.

I think that any of the scopes that you listed would be fine. For about 40 years, my primary deer, antelope, and sheep rifle was my .257 Ackley wearing a fixed Leupold 6x scope. I recently replaced it with a Leupold VX 3 4.5-14x40 with their B&C reticle. My primary elk rifle for almost 50 years wore several brands of 3-9x40 variable scopes. Right now most of my rifles wear Leupold variable power scopes, and unless I'm hunting thick timber, I usually have them set on 6 power.

Even when hunting with my .375 RUM, there are situations where it is nice to be able to crank it up to its maximum power for some shots.

Lots of information you gave us.
What you didn't give us is the type of hunting involved.
Swamp bottom with maybe 50 yard max visibility?
Open hardwoods with 100 yard shots.
Open lands with visibility to 1,200 yards?
Edge of a field?

Having hunted with a 6-18 power scope, it quickly came off when at 20 ft a deer came out and i couldn't shoot cause all i saw was brown! That with it set on lowest 6 power setting.

The 3-9 is the more universally found and used. Low enough on the low end for close in work. Enough at the high end for 400 yards or so.

I used fixed 4x for a lot of year's with not one bit of trouble. Also use a fixed 2 3/4x on my 30-06 for an elk rifle. Took it off my old 338 mag many years ago and used it n a 308 many many years with not one problem. Hear a bit about a fixed 6x but just can't understand it. Especially with this new guy that has done his hunting with a shotgun, thinking he's more hunter than shooter. These day's I find variable scope's easier to find. Use several 3x9's and a couple 2-7X scopes these days. For a hunting rifle I'd stay with the 2-7x anymore. Something I've found with 3x9 and 2-7 power's scope's is I never take them off the lowest power to hunt with! And sighting in off a rest, about 6x is all I ever use! 6X let's me see the aiming point very well without overly showing my breathing! On one rifle, 6.5x06, I put a 4 1/2-14 scope just for long range target's. Have used it to 500yds and never used over 8x with it. Changed it outwith a 3-9x and put the 4 1/2-14x on a 243 for varmint's! Still never had it over 8X!

Something about a scope. Getting to much power and using it, decrease's field of view making finding the target harder and to much power in rather heavy cover can lose the target for you unless you spend to much time looking. Take to much power and get a close up shot and target can be very hard to find and thin twigs that can throw the bullet off, impossible to see. In most hunting situation's to much power can do little if any good at all.

If the rifle is already wearing the 6x, I'd probably try not to over-think it and leave well enough alone. That rifle/scope combo is a great all around setup, without too much to fiddle with. I've always used 3-9x40s when I lived back east, but I just left it set on 5x all the time (also a 7mm-08), as does my dad still on his .280. I've shot deer from 10'-125 yards without touching the scope and don't see the need to mess with it otherwise.

just my $.02, but I think it's a great setup as-is

The deer hunting will be in California in relatively open country and possibly Utah or Idaho. Similar hunting situations. There is heavy timber but we don't typically spend a lot of time in heavy timber. I personally have made shots from 25 feet to well over 400 yards in California. Typical shot distance is difficult to say but my average is 200 yards. Last year was 100 yards. 2018 was 200 yards. 2017 was 25 yards.

The only argument in my book for a variable is increased field of view for finding the animal in the scope in a hurry at the lowest power. The difference in field of view between a 3x9 or a 2.5 x 8 is very little. I know a young hunter is likely to want to "play" with the scope power settings so that is why I like a fixed power. I have thought about installing one of the variables and taping the power adjust at 4 power so it would be difficult to move and we would know if he changed it. I will ask his father today if he still wants a variable (from my gun safe) and make a decision.
I personally carry my variables on 5 power +- and almost never change it to make a shot. Heavy cover or walking in on a downed animal I go to the lowest setting the scope offers.

The gun is here now since they are visiting and I live a lot closer to a range than they do. We went to the range before sun up Saturday morning and got one of the last benches available. We put up targets and then went to the bench with the 7-08. NO ammo. Ammo was in his duffle bag back at my house. Going back to the range the same day is out of the question for me. I will not shoot there past sun up on weekends and rarely on weekdays. That place is a zoo after about 9am. No rangemaster and no common sense by too many shooters.
Since the gun is here for a couple of days I can change the scope for them now.

Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. Price is good and mine has held up for 10 years without any issues. It’s made in Leupolds factory using their parts and branded with Redfield name.

Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. Price is good and mine has held up for 10 years without any issues. It’s made in Leupolds factory using their parts and branded with Redfield name.
I have 4 Leupolds in my gun safe. Why would I buy a scope?? This is no charge to the 12 year old or his dad.
The 4th Leupold is not available for the 12 year old. He only gets a choice from the 3 scopes I listed.

I'd go with one of the variables. 6x is a lot for a hunter who's new to scopes to find the target/game. And as already mentioned, it's useless at 25 yards. I had a variable that started at 6 before and never again for a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
Yeah, as i already mentioned, and you verified, 25ft-400 yards i'd go with the 3-9 most definitely!

I like a 3-9 or 2-7 (or the 2.5-8 that you mentioned) with the scope set at its lowest setting until I’m on target. But I hunt mainly deer in fairly thick woods up close. Some shots stretch out to 200+ yards, and I like to zoom in if there is brush/limbs so that I can pick my clearest shot through the tangle. I’m not talking about taking a hail-Mary type “brush shot,” but threading the needle with a precision shot

I like a 3-9 or 2-7 (or the 2.5-8 that you mentioned) with the scope set at its lowest setting until I’m on target. But I hunt mainly deer in fairly thick woods up close. Some shots stretch out to 200+ yards, and I like to zoom in if there is brush/limbs so that I can pick my clearest shot through the tangle. I’m not talking about taking a hail-Mary type “brush shot,” but threading the needle with a precision shot
It's not for you.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back