Caribou Gear Tarp

Beginner fly fishing set-up

alwayshunting

I have no experience fly fishing, but have always wanted to give it a shot. I would like some advice on getting set up without spending too much money. I would mainly be using it for small trout in mountain lakes while backpacking. So I would like something that is easy to pack and good to learn on. Looking online I see many options available, with many being way more then I would like to spend though. Does anyone have suggestions?

Spend your money in this order, rod (buy a 4 piece) a 9' 5 or 6 weight is great to learn with and is a great all rounder.
Then a floating fly line, i prefer weight forward
Then the reel.
As for makes and budget i can't comment as i live in the UK but you can't go too wrong with Orvis, maybe via ebay if money is tight.
Cheers
Richard

For mtn lakes a 4 or 5 wt would work too. As Richard mentioned a 4 piece is the way to go. Depending on your budget St Croux and GS Loomis both make rods that will last a lifetime.

Yep. Agree with the above. A 4-piece is best as you can strap it on your pack easily. A 5wt in my opinion is the best all-around weight and is a good place to start. For a nice budget rod I have a few friends (my wife included) that have the Reddington Crosswater Kit. Comes complete and ready to fish for $120 or so. TFO also makes some good rods at budget friendly prices.

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-outfits/crosswater/

For just starting out a ready to fish kit is the way to go. Cabelas has some but the cheap ones suck. Most companies offer a few options. Figure out your budget, buy the best kit that fits your budget and over time upgrade what you want to. I started with a cheap St. Croix kit. It worked but I outgrew it fairly fast. Any of the kits in the $200 to $300 range should be good if you go much cheaper you get low end rods and bottom end line. A good line and rod that works with you are the most important to start with.

I'd look at your local fishing forums for used gear - a lot of it is lightly used and you can save a ton buying a rig that is 2nd hand. I would spend up a bit for the rod as this is the business end of fly fishing, and the reel, well as long as you like it, I'm sure it's fine.

I like Sage or Hardy rods and Lamson Reels. Both sage and Hardy can get spendy quick. As mentioned above St. Croix is a good value and I know I bought a travel rod in 5wt for like $50.00 off a guy on my local fishing forum and have used it all over. Plus if it gets messed up, I won't cry because it didn't cost too much. Orvis is also good - but here too can get spendy.

Then the line and backing will be next - just get a recommendation from a local shop.

Then you will need the leader and tippit - 4x, 5x or 6x should suffice, then all of your flies. I'd go with some nymphs like copper johns and zebra midges, etc. and float one or two under a fat old dry fly. I like this method over using a thingamabob or some float as it looks more natural. Plus every now and again a trout will slurp the dry on the surface.

You could also try to swing a wolly bugger under a bank then try to mimic a crawfish on the retreive. This can be lethal at the right time.

If you are going to get into dry flies, then find out the hatch where you'll be fishing and buy a variety of sizes in that specific pattern. Once you wet a line, observe the size of the bugs and try to match it. Sometimes if the fish are hungry, they will slam any pattern, it really just depends on their mood.

I'd read as much on locating the fish as you can... Find out how to read the water, look for the heads and tails of a pool, look for turns in the water you will be fishing, figure out where the seam is.... Try to identify structure that can hold a fish, also look for big rocks that fish tend to hang around as the current is different infront and behind...

I hope you enjoy fly fishing as much as I do, there is a ton to learn and half of it is trying to find the fish. Once you know that the rest is easy... sort of...

Don't spend a lot of money on a reel. 50-60 is plenty, all it does is hold the line. Buy a good WF line, probably 60 bucks or so. Clean your line often and keep it treated so that it lasts.

Buy tapered leaders to start (fewer wind knots), but learn to tie your own later. It will save you money.

A lower to mid level St Croix, Redington, or similar rod will suit you fine to start. As said, get a 4 piece. I'd go 9' 4 or 5 weight, medium action. Get one with a lifetime warranty if you can, rods get broken.

Fly selection is easy, some elk hair caddis, different kinds of wet flies with a soft hackle, some small woolly buggers, and some copper john patterns in various sizes.

Get a cheapish four piece 8'6" 5wt with a good warranty. Buy a cheap used reel and expect to spend $70 on line. At first you won't know the difference between a POS and $1,500 setup. Dump more money into a good setup and keep the old rod for your kids/friends to destroy once you figure out if it's something you'll spend a lot of time doing. I've never fished with anything other than St. Croix, Orvis, or Sage rods (not by choice, I just don't have a bunch of money to load up the closet with rods), so I'm probably not the best to provide suggestions for rod manufacturers. However, St. Croix makes great rods for relatively cheap and they have awesome warranties.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice. I will go with a cheaper set up to get started and upgrade in the future. I look forward to getting out and experiencing fly fishing.

I will echo what everyone else has said, go cheep on gear other than the line until you figure out what you like. I would recommend finding a fly shop and test out a couple of rods. When I first started flyfishing, I figured a medium action rod would be fine but I am definitely a fast action rod guy. Find out what action fits you.

Thats funny I started out with fast action rods and now my good rod is a Winston and my pack rod is an 8.5 ft Redington Classic Trout. Both are closer to medium. I had a hard time finding a medium rod in the beginner price range. The CT was as close as I could find that I liked.

I wanted to come back with an update to this thread. I ended up buying a 8.5ft 4 wt Cabelas setup to get started out. I was backpacking in the Beartooths in 2014 shortly after I bought the setup, but had decided not to try fishing because I was not comfortable casting yet. I wished I had because my wife and I had a few days to ourselves at a lake 10 miles from the trailhead. The lake was full of trout and would have been a good time to learn. I had another solo trip into the Beartooths this week and didn't make the same mistake twice. I don't think the fish in the lake I was at have seen a whole lot of fisherman because my unskilled fly fishing was still quite successful.
IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

Nice set-up and great fish! Looks like you're hooked by the fly-fishin bug! The Beartooth Mountains are incredible!

Next time you're up there, try the Clark Fork between the junction of the Chief Joe & Beartooth Highway & Cooke City. Some great fishing to be had on the river.

Excellent trip report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back