Beginner Advice Please

Rico

I am about to begin working up my first handload ever. Its for a 338 win mag, specifically for elk. I’m planning on going with Hammer bullets. The folks at Hammer bullets recommended that I start with the 205 power hammer. Would anyone care to recommend a powder? Everything is so hard to find now, I want to make the best educated guess possible. Also, does anyone have any idea where to find large rifle magnum primers? I’ve been watching the websites for weeks with no success. Its like they don’t exist. Thanks everyone!

I am about to begin working up my first handload ever. Its for a 338 win mag, specifically for elk. I’m planning on going with Hammer bullets. The folks at Hammer bullets recommended that I start with the 205 power hammer. Would anyone care to recommend a powder? Everything is so hard to find now, I want to make the best educated guess possible. Also, does anyone have any idea where to find large rifle magnum primers? I’ve been watching the websites for weeks with no success. Its like they don’t exist. Thanks everyone!
Can't speak for the hammer bullets specifically, but my 338 win mag like the 230 eldx with h4350. Have also used Reloader 19 with good results.

Go to their forum and see what people have done. Should get some kind of idea. Yesterday some guy was positing about buying 5000 primers from Scheels? Might have been a different forum.

Call Steve and ask him directly. If you can’t reach him, use Nosler data for a 200ish grain bullet (cup and core) and select their most accurate powder or one slightly faster. Use the min/max data they have posted as you work up your load.

LRM primers are tough to find right now. No advice other than keep looking. Powder Valley has had a good stock of powders as of late.

Call Steve and ask him directly. If you can’t reach him, use Nosler data for a 200ish grain bullet (cup and core) and select their most accurate powder or one slightly faster. Use the min/max data they have posted as you work up your load.

LRM primers are tough to find right now. No advice other than keep looking. Powder Valley has had a good stock of powders as of late.
He's in Texas. There is a link to load data on the Hammer forum. mtmuley

There is a pretty massive spreadsheet on their forum. You should be able to find some loads, if not post and I'm sure some on their forum will help out if you can't wait for Steve to become available.

Register for the Hammer Time forum and search out similar loads on the load forum. Remember that the loads in the forum are NOT starting loads.
Useful to know what your barrel twist and length are.

I would say anything you can find on the Hodgdon Color Burn rate chart that falls between #110 and #120, give or take.

Hammer Bullets prefer faster burning powders than normally expected, but you are still looking for something from that list that you can find 200 grain data for in a published manual.

Some general safety guidelines:
I have found that performing the "find the lands" procedure is VERY important for Monos, especially Hammers. Monos are longer for weight and take up more space in the case.
You will have less actual case capacity than in the books. After you find the lands, start by seating your bullet to be at least .020" away.

Starting loads should be more than 60% full and you should hear powder moving around when you put it up to your ear and shake it. I like a finished load to be near my planned max and I can still hear the powder rattle. (I.E. not compressed, I.E. less than 100% load density.) This is a personal preference, a lot of loads in the manuals end up compressed.

My two cents are, as soon as you find a load you really like buy at least 8 pounds of the powder or however much you'll need for 15+ years of shooting that gun. My rookie mistake was making an amazing load for my 7mm mag with 8133 powder. It ticked all the boxes like great velocity, accuracy, no temperature sensitivities etc. Well, I only bought two pounds and had burned one up already. And of course just recently went to buy more and found out its discontinued. I would've bought 16 or 24 pounds had I known they were going to discontinue it.

Ramshot Big Game would be a good powder to try, and it's much more available than most other powders, and cheaper. I've used it in my 338 Win. Mag. Currently I'm using RL16, but it's probably not available anywhere.

In my 338 mags I used 225gr Hornadys. Would have used 250 gr but didn't even like the recoil at 225gr. Can't see going lighter than 225gr now as I could get 220gr for my 30-06. If I wanted a lighter bullet than 225 gr I'd drop down in caliber ans use a heavy for cal bullet. I shot a deer one time with that 225gr bullet. Hit it in the shoulder at maybe 40 yds and darn near cut it in half. Kind of soured me on using one again! But if I could learn to handle the recoil with a 250gr bullet, I think it would be a geat dangerous game round. Then again I don't hunt anything I consider dangerous!

My two cents are, as soon as you find a load you really like buy at least 8 pounds of the powder or however much you'll need for 15+ years of shooting that gun. My rookie mistake was making an amazing load for my 7mm mag with 8133 powder. It ticked all the boxes like great velocity, accuracy, no temperature sensitivities etc. Well, I only bought two pounds and had burned one up already. And of course just recently went to buy more and found out its discontinued. I would've bought 16 or 24 pounds had I known they were going to discontinue it.
oy isn't this the truth. My old 7mm Rem Mag was pure h*ll with N-205 powder and then they discontinued it. Back then about a pound at a time was all I could afford!

In my 338 mags I used 225gr Hornadys. Would have used 250 gr but didn't even like the recoil at 225gr. Can't see going lighter than 225gr now as I could get 220gr for my 30-06. If I wanted a lighter bullet than 225 gr I'd drop down in caliber ans use a heavy for cal bullet. I shot a deer one time with that 225gr bullet. Hit it in the shoulder at maybe 40 yds and darn near cut it in half. Kind of soured me on using one again! But if I could learn to handle the recoil with a 250gr bullet, I think it would be a geat dangerous game round. Then again I don't hunt anything I consider dangerous!
I've put 200gr sst into deer and I tried a 230gr eldx this year and so far so good. They shoot really well and the damage isn't obnixous by any means! I definitely wouldn't use it on anything smaller than a deer. Except a Coyote!

I understand that the Enduron line of powders is going to be produced again.

It’s a hs precision rifle with 24” barrel and 1 in 10 twist.

I picked up some RL19 from Brownells and some Power Hammer 205s. But I’m dead in the water until I can find primers. Checking the websites several times a day. This is crazy

Has anyone ever used standard large rifle primers on a 338 win mag? I wonder how much difference it would make.

Back