Caribou Gear

Beaverhead Zone Idaho

dtwhite

Starting to plan an archery hunt for 2018 (mid September) in the Beaverhead Zone (right now leaning towards 58 & 59a). This will be my first time in Idaho so I am not familiar with the area other than e-scouting. I'm just starting to really break down the units, just wanted to see if anyone had any insight on the area. We definitely want to get away from hunters as much as possible and I'm a little worried because of roads and especially all the trails in this part of Idaho. I like the idea of hunting state lines so having that boundary doesn't worry me so much. It looks like there is probably opportunity to get away from roads & trails if you put the work in just curious if anyone has put boots on the ground. Definitely not looking for anyone's Honey Hole, just some direction to help start my research. Thanks for any help!

When I spoke to Idaho F&G about unit 58 they warned me there were a lot of hunters. Coming from WA i figured he was exaggerating the #s. He wasn't. It felt very much like hunting Washington. ATV's and dirt bikes everywhere.

I have heard the area west of the beaverhead, but east of salmon is quite good, but I've never tried it.

I have heard the area west of the beaverhead, but east of salmon is quite good, but I've never tried it.

That'd be the Lemhi zone. Nothing to see there--wufs ate all the elk. ;)

In all seriousness though, I think the Lemhi is like most any other zone. Depending on time of the season and your location within the zone the amount of hunting pressure varies wildly. Last year I hunted the last three days of the archery season and my Dad and I had the whole canyon to ourselves. Three years before that it was the wild west--hunters behind every tree.

Idaho units seem to go in cycle's. At least that is what I have noticed over the past 13 years of hunting elk here. I would say 25% of the hunters change there unit almost every year depending on the amount of elk they see. I kind of have taken that approach. I hunted a Zone here that I was the only one for a couple years than it got overran with people so I went to a new area, shot my biggest bull, than went to another new area this past season and saw lots of elk and shot a spike. I think the elk herds fluctuate in Idaho and hunter pressure fluctuates from year to year depending on the elk populations in a particular unit. Anyway good luck,
Matt

Appreciate all the info, we are really in this hunt for the experience and the meat, so size of the bull is definitely not the most important factor.

Back