Caribou Gear Tarp

Bears in Colorado

How many bears do you see every year in CO?

• 0-1

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • 2-3

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • 6+

Votes: 8 8.8%

• Total voters
I won't argue that bear hunting is crappy in Colorado. Especially, in my area.

I'm not saying anybody should break the law and not get the bear inspected. I'm not sure it's the same as poaching. The hunter was legal when they shot the bear. He was legal when he kept it. He wasn't legal when he didn't get it inspected.

The brochure says the bear head and hide can be taken from the hunter if it's not inspected. I'm not sure what other penalty would be applied. It's certainly not in the same class as poaching.

Any body ever hunted black bear in Unit 71? Got drawn for a black bear tag in September this year.

Im gonna try bear in sept for the first time. I was already thinking this just might be a sightseeing trip ha. My great grandpa killed a bear and i feel i need to also. unit 42 521 etc if anyone wants to give pointers or have a beer out there this fall.
September rifle tag is a good one. Give the local CPW office a call. The steamboat office gave me some good locations to check out. I doubt they would have given me the same level of info if I was asking for elk spots though.

Scouting 41 today, would like to hear thoughts on 41 vs 421/42?

My thought is 421 has too much private and 42 has more challenging access, but probably better opportunity. I don't have an ATV or Dirt Bike unfortunately.

Scouting 41 today, would like to hear thoughts on 41 vs 421/42?

My thought is 421 has too much private and 42 has more challenging access, but probably better opportunity. I don't have an ATV or Dirt Bike unfortunately.
I don't think access is a challenge for any of those units. It sucks that you don't have any ATV. It seemed like an ATV would be faster than a truck on some of the forest roads.

Scouting 41 was really disappointing, I think I will head towards the outskirts of the Vega Reservoir next time I go up there.

Reactions: JDH
It was just impossibly steep and thick. Maybe I need a different plan of attack, but I was unable to discern any reasonable way to navigate the "Fall Concentration Zone". I couldn't even find any good high points to glass from, other than the rim of the Mesa which is too far away to be useful.

My next effort in 41 if the Vega Reservoir trip is a bust will be closer to Powderhorn.

It was just impossibly steep and thick. Maybe I need a different plan of attack, but I was unable to discern any reasonable way to navigate the "Fall Concentration Zone". I couldn't even find any good high points to glass from, other than the rim of the Mesa which is too far away to be useful.

My next effort in 41 if the Vega Reservoir trip is a bust will be closer to Powderhorn.
I wouldn't just go down the sides of the mesa. I saw some sign up on top.

When we were in the area a few weeks ago, the vegetation in the 7800' to 8300' foot range looked like prime fall forage. The only bear we saw was at about 6500'.

I am guessing they will be spread all over the place when the season opens, concentrating lower later in September. Will see how that theory pans out a week from tomorrow. :)

Im getting excited to get out there and try finding one. You guys with the 41 tag I hope we find some. Ill be out the probably the 10th thru maybe the 18th. First time after bear so it ought to be interesting.

Im getting excited to get out there and try finding one. You guys with the 41 tag I hope we find some. Ill be out the probably the 10th thru maybe the 18th. First time after bear so it ought to be interesting.
Same here! Going to Unit 74 on Wednesday and first time hunting bear. Just excited to camp and disconnect for a week!
Then going to Jimmy Buffett Concert at Red Rocks and the Texas A&M game. Going to be a good 2 weeks!

Did anyone have any success with Bears?

I saw TONS of scat, but didn’t actually see any bears. Hopped down to unit 70 to hunt my other elk/bear tags and haven’t seen squat down here either, and considerably less Bear scat.

Saw plenty of sign. The cover was very thick. We saw three bears total last week. No big mature boars like I was looking for. One of my hunting partners missed a decent bear at 60 yards. I think he was excited. My other friend plugged a 3ish year old 5-1/2 or so foot traditional black boar that had a white spot on his chest. Great for his first bear.

9DE37AA0-314E-4312-817A-36288270A31D.jpeg07643A78-6EE6-4FEB-ADBC-6B3D2BC2DF7D.jpeg

That one thing I love here in Pa 20,000 plus bear a archery season and I have some great places to hunt it still tough no baiting or dogs but Ive been lucky to get 3 in abt 12 yrs with my bow

SW Colorado is loaded with bears and they do get large. I've had a lot of success anywhere with oaks, and also found a lot at timberline just below the rock slides eating ground squirrels and moths, also is where most will go to den and where to look late in the season. I have even found them at lower elevations on good grasshopper years along the major river drainages.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back