Bears in Colorado

How many bears do you see every year in CO?

• 0-1

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • 2-3

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • 6+

Votes: 8 8.8%

• Total voters
Looking at going OTC here for 3rd Rifle. It appears that there is alot of BLM land that is landlocked around private. Does anybody have any intel on if it is legal to gate a USFS Road to block out public land hunters?

Also do you have to draw a bear tag for 3rd season?
Happens frequently, don’t assume access.

And the answer to the bear tag question is yes/no. It is a draw tag so if you are putting in the draw anyways just pick up a bear tag. The quotas usually outweigh demand though so they are available on the leftover list. There are exceptions to the rule but going off of your question that is my assumption. Look at Cpw bear stats and see if the days were drawn out in the draw or went to leftover.

thanks for the response. looks like this unit still has alot of ground to cover without some of landlock blm..

Im gonna try bear in sept for the first time. I was already thinking this just might be a sightseeing trip ha. My great grandpa killed a bear and i feel i need to also. unit 42 521 etc if anyone wants to give pointers or have a beer out there this fall.

Would you expect most bears to start denning up by Colorado's 3rd season? I've seen them in September but haven't been there in November yet...

Would you expect most bears to start denning up by Colorado's 3rd season? I've seen them in September but haven't been there in November yet...
I’ve seen them during first but haven’t during second or third in past years. And with season dates this year being later I doubt it but there is always a chance...

I've held a bear tag four times in Colorado. Every year I've held a tag I've seen bears but always with Cubs. I have yet to harvest a bear in Colorado. But hope to do so this year. If I'm lucky and draw a New Mexico tag I'll likely pick up an over-the-counter bear tag as well. Hoping to hunt more than New Mexico or the gila. Both are great areas for bears in NM.

I could be wrong but I’ve never head of CO being a big state to hunt bear in.

My unit is tough to see one. The only chance is to call one in and that's still a longshot.

Not enough natural food for them. They go off to other units to find food in the fall. Odds are better to see one in town going through trash.

I could be wrong but I’ve never head of CO being a big state to hunt bear in.
That’s mostly because there is no spring season like MT, ID, and WY.

90% are harvested in sept, I tried 3rd last year and found tons of month+ old sign but nothing fresh.

Well, rifle, archery, and muzzy season are all in Sept. It is the best chance to get a bear but pick the units you hunt wisely. My units which are 6 units on the tag is a good year to get 2 bears. 1 is normal and that from hundreds of bear hunters. We can't shoot what isn't here.

They took away our spring bear season. Plus, baiting and hounds for those who liked doing that.

Well, rifle, archery, and muzzy season are all in Sept. It is the best chance to get a bear but pick the units you hunt wisely. My units which are 6 units on the tag is a good year to get 2 bears. 1 is normal and that from hundreds of bear hunters. We can't shoot what isn't here.

They took away our spring bear season. Plus, baiting and hounds for those who liked doing that.
There is an additional season now that coincides with the rifle big game seasons. What unit are you in, something tells me there are bears there...

30 years ago...

Also prior to that you could only run dogs during the bear only season, which for a long time was April 1-sept 15.

Unless there was a weird 5 year period that I’m not aware of or something you haven’t been able to hunt bears with dogs during the fall for over 100 years.

That said if you bank roll a ballot initiative to get spring bears back I will stand on street corners with a clipboard.

Last edited:
i had thought about getting a 66/67 bear tag as an add on to an elk and deer hunt this fall. Sounds like that would probably be a waste of $

I have seen roughly 1 per year while archery elk hunting over the past ~10 years, several of them very close, including one bluff charge (sow with cubs).

I have a friend that lives near Pikes Peak and he has to be careful about leaving his garage door open because he has them wander in looking for food. He sees bears almost daily during the Fall.

There is an additional season now that coincides with the rifle big game seasons. What unit are you in, something tells me there are bears there...
I understand but it's too crowded to get a bear. The regular bear rifle season is Sept. Which is the best month to hunt for bear besides spring which we no longer have.

30 years ago...

Also prior to that you could only run dogs during the bear only season, which for a long time was April 1-sept 15.

Unless there was a weird 5 year period that I’m not aware of or something you haven’t been able to hunt bears with dogs during the fall for over 100 years.

That said if you bank roll a ballot initiative to get spring bears back I will stand on street corners with a clipboard.
I made no mention of using hounds in the fall season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back