Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bear Reports Thread!

Horn Seeker

Nothing here yet! I went out opener for a few hours with my 2 1/2 and 5 year olds, just road hunting and glassing. Tonight, I took the 5 out and we got in a little grassy canyon and blew on the call for a while. She thought that was pretty cool and was really excited to see a bear, but nigh, it didn't happen.

I'm gonna show her a bear in the next few weeks!

Keep us posted how you are all doing!

HS

HornSeeker, Will do.. Heading out to set up stands Sunday... But not even taking a Gun.

Next few Weeks pics will start Dumpoing in here from trail cameras we're setting up

I went out thursday at 3:30. Got to the road I was going to hunt on at 4:00. Spent an hour driving around the breaks looking for a good spot to glass from and camp. Found a good spot, and parked the pickup down in a draw so the bears in the big Minam canyon couldnt see it. Spent about 20 minuets glassing down into the minam and into a little creek called squaw creek. After 20 minuets of glassing into squaw creek, I saw a big cinnamon bear about 2 miles away. We decide to get back to the pickup, and drive closer to the bear, then hike to it, and try and find it. I got to the pickup, and went to drive, and it was stuck. Sooooo... I pop it into 4 low to get out, and S$%T starts flying everywhere. I get out to look at the front axle, and the CV joint is busted all to hell. Actually it doesnt exist anymore. Neither does half the front axle. Soooooo... I no longer have 4 wheel drive. Soooo... it takes us an hour and a half to get out of the mud hole. :mad: Soo were driving along towards the bear that is probably long gone by now. And I look across the canyon (this is not the minam canyon where i spotted the bear, but a diffrent canyon) AND I SEE 500 FREAKING ELK!!!!
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
Thay were in 10 or 12 seperate heards all over the top and sides of this canyon. About a mile as the crow flies. I couldnt believe my freaking eyes. So me and my buddy both decide right then and there that we were going to hike over there and look for and stay the night and look for bears and sheds over there. So we stop the pickup and get our packs ready. To get to the canyon were the elk were, we have to hike to the bottom of the canyon, and up the other side. So we take off... Its getting dark. It takes us about an hour to get to the bottom of this extremely steep canyon, through the deadfall and crap. And then we get to the bottom of the canyon and fill our cantens up in the creek. It is then that I relize that I forgot my binoculars, AND I forgot to lock the pickup, which contains my spare rifle! I almost hiked back up that freakin mountain. So then we take off up the other side, and it takes us about 2 hours. In the pitch black. We get to the top, and set up camp, and go to sleep. We wake up with 1/2 inch of frost on our sleeping bags. It was freking cold. So we get up at 5:00 and start hiking. We hike for about 3 hours looking for sheds. I found 2
hump.gif
. An average 4 point buck, and a spike elk. I did not see a bear. At noon we packed up camp, and went back to the truck. We drove 5 miles to a payphone at a little rest stop. And called my dad to pick us up. My pickup is screwed for the reest of the season.

I'll get pics very soon!

Sorry about the pick up Jordan, I sure hope you can get it fixed, at least it sounds as if you can still drive it. But as you have shown, there is a silver lining to every cloud, now all you have to do is figure where the elk slunk off to in the fall and you should be in the money.... :D

Heck yah! Im more pumped about getting a big bull than I am getting a bear or lion! well... Not really...

I will get a bear!!!!!!
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif

I have seen 6 bears so far. I have seen one of them twice, a few days apart. The second time I saw it the bear was only about 100 yards from where I had seen it before. My friend has a spring bear tag for this area (about 12 miles from home) but it was a small bear and he passed. The guy he drew with might take this bear as he is not holding out for a big one. I guess it would go about 125#. Rufous.

Well, I've been out two more times with the girls. We spotted a really nice bear about 1000+ yards away across a canyon, and there was no getting close enough for a shot with the 2 1/2 year old along. Darn it.

Today I busted hump into some nasty country and saw nothing, kind of surprised me. I did find one little muley shed, 4 point.

Will try more tommorrow! I decided I dont want to kill a bear bad enough to take the rifle, unless I have the kid/s along. If I'm on my own, Im taking the longbow!! (pretty much ensures no bear, but could be fun anyhow!)

NOt much going on for everyone?? Not for me, been to dam busy to get out the last week. Gonna go for a couple hours tonight.

Keep us Posted Ya'll!!

HS

We're baiting and not much yet...

I have heard a Roumor of a Nice bear or Two spotted though. How did your Last Outing go ?

We're going up tonight. We'll drop an Update...

My buddy who has the spring bear tag and I went out Friday and Saturday evening. We saw a nice sized bear Friday evening and I really thought we were going to get it but it gave us the slip. We were about 1500 yards from it when we first saw it and by the time we got within shooting range it was gone and we did not see it again. We went into the same place Saturday evening but did not see it. We did however see what looked to be a huge one way across the canyon on private property (the same property where I shot my cougar in Febof 2002 so my buddy is going to see if we can get permission to hunt bear over there). Rufous.

SOunds good Rufous!

My last outing was a nice tick infested walk with my daughter! We didn't see chit else but ticks (well, we did see about 40 elk on the drive home, that was cool).

Go gettem guys!

I got one yesterday. 6'1" square, Rusty brown in color. 365lbs according to the length/girth chart. All his teeth are nearly worn down to the gums and most are broken, some missing. I've seen a number of real bruisers this spring and have been going alot. I think I've seen (not counting grizzlies) 4 bears that are in the 6'range. My wife has put me on house arrest and diaper duty after tomorrow. :(

Originally posted by Greenhorn:
I got one yesterday. 6'1" square, Rusty brown in color. 365lbs
Next thing we know, you'll be weighing your deer, like them dinky rat deer shooters back East...

Congrats on the 6 footer.... Hell, it takes Moosie two bears to equal that... (as I type while he is up sitting on the bait...)

Greeny, And I thought I was Special cuz I knew and here you go telling everybody.. Acording to the Picture it only looks 360, but if you want to Exagerate and Say 365, Well so be it... ;)

Congrats Again and we did Go out again tonight but Nothing much. Bears bellies are starting to Wake up though !!! Eating us out of House and Home..

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back