Bear Meat

Made bear smokies out of my daughter's bear this fall. They are beyond good. But then again, I'd much rather eat mountain lion than elk and antelope are my favorite ungulates to eat so maybe I'm different. Most people's problem with not liking certain meats is mostly in their head not their taste buds. Either that or they aren't cooking it right.

With bear meat, if you are cooking a roast, it needs to be cooked much longer than deer an elk to break down the muscle fibers. I'm talking 8-12 hours low and slow not 3-4. Add half a bottle of red wine, some jalapenos, chunked onions, beef bullion, salt and pepper and roast for 8-12 hours @ 250. Don't let it dry out. I'm hungry again and I just ate.

I watched a show where Steven Rinella ate some bear meat, it didn't turn out well for him.

I don't like it. That's why I'm not a serious bear hunter. I always have tons of game in the freezer. I've heard it makes good breakfast sausage

I got to sample some breakfast sausage last spring when 1Pointer and I stopped by the HT Bear Hunt crew for a quick visit. It was excellent.

I love it for certain meals. In the proper application I would say it can't be beat! We almost always run out of bear each year before version..

I've had good & bad. Of mine.
Bad-coastal BC blackbear tasted like rotten fishy carrion. Horrible .
Good-Sierra & cen. coast CA blackbear. Roasted BBQed,braized,sausage...all good.Ribs to die for.

But then again, I have 2 elk & a deer in the freezer this year....just me here,lol.
Lotta good meat. I share with the neighbors.
I am really looking forward to the MTN Lion Chili Verde I'll make out of the stew meat I got from butcher buddy.
Never eaten a k9 ...that I know of.
Cats & Rats were normal local food in the Nam.lol

I am really looking forward to the MTN Lion Chili Verde I'll make out of the stew meat I got from butcher buddy.
Never eaten a k9 ...that I know of.
Cats & Rats were normal local food in the Nam.lol

Gerald Martin brought some mountain lion breakfast sausage to bear camp this year and it was amazing!! Couldn't tell the difference between it and pork :D

Most experienced hunters I talk to say it is a crap shoot, presumably dependent on what the bears have been eating.

Are trichinella cysts easy to spot in tacos?

Yuuuummmmyy?

Not after the meat's been cooked for like 2 hours at relatively high heat. Rinella admits to eating the bear meat too undercooked when he got it, so it was his own fault. Cooking the meat over 180 kills it, from everything I've researched. :D

I've eaten plenty of bear and understand how trichinella works.

I hear rattlesnake "tastes just like chicken".

+1

Same issue I have with the ducks/geese, sad to say they don't get eaten until the freezer is empty and it's 3 days before pay day!

Bear meat is OK, I got some bear burger from a friend and it was edible and that's about all. Ducks I love to eat broiled medium rare and Geese just get ground up and made into jerky.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back