Caribou Gear

Bear Grease, Oak Brush, and #greentree's G-bear

Great story! And, congrats on a much more adventurous September than mine. I've never had any interest in shooting bears, mostly because I don't like my meat well-done. But, I keep hearing from all these bear hunters about good grease, good meat... I don't know, the wheels are turning a little bit. In NY, you automatically get a free bear tag when you buy a deer tag and I have had opportunities.. What do most of you do with the bear meat? Well-done steaks? Sausage?
"The actual temperature that kills the trichinella parasite is 137°F, which happens to be medium-rare.

You can certainly make medium-rare bear meat safe using the sous vide method, but you’d need to hold the meat at 137°F for an hour or so to make sure — and then you’d want to sear it on the outside to kill any possible bacteria that survived that low temp. As for me? I like to sous vide bear at about 145°F for an hour or more, which is still a lovely tender and pink piece of meat, and is safe to eat that way."

I grind some steak some. I tend to cook with more ground than anything else be it elk or bear so lots of that.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back