Bear baiting troubles

Lukemac48

Hey guys here in Idaho I’ve run into a problem on my usual bear baiting area, So I’ve Been baiting this specific bait site for 3 years and have had no problem getting bears to come to the bait but this year I have not had a single bear come eat in a whole week and I am wondering if I need to move. Could It be too early as it’s only the second week of season so I need to wait them out or do I need to move locations as I haven’t had a single bear come in a week of the bait being out? I’ve done the same routine every year so I am confused on why I haven’t had any visitors? Any Other bear baiters had this problem before? Thank you in advance- Luke

Split your bait into a new area? 50/50 shot you'll hit or miss. Who knows, you may find a new honey hole. I do know that game seem to indiscriminately change their preferred areas and drive us crazy trying to figure out why, so go with the flow.....

I'd run more than one, if you're not already.

How high up are you?

Try doing a honey burn it putting more aromatics out.

Any new baits around you maybe don't know about?

If a site has been productive before, if bet in it to be productive again.

Thank you for all the responses! The bait is at 5000 ft and there are still some patches of snow so that’s why I’m thinking I’m a little bit early, I think the honey burn will be a great idea and I am going to do that when I head back up this week to go check it.

It's possible that with the screwy weather the bears haven't been active as they have in past years. If your in the same spot year after year, some bears will come continue to come to that spot in time, year after year. Some years take longer. I don't think I would abandon it all together. Try some real strong aromatic attractants. Like bacon grease, vanilla extract, grape seed oil, or even used cooking oils to get them going. I try to put some aromatic scents along the trail on my way out as well. As a bear passes the trail they will follow that scent to the bait site. Also, maybe try to put another bait in a couple hundred yards from that one. Don't worry about hunting over that one as much, it's more to put more attractant in the area. If they hit that one, they will find the other...

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

I am no master baiter but i would establish second site in different situation than first. Bears are moody good to have plan "b" anyways, when in doubt just wait them out, sooner or later they will start hitting them, its still only april... i havent even started my baits yet, may try to see if i can get into area this week.

Bears have abandoned some of our historic baits due to human activity in areas before. We later found out people were doing coring for copper mining out of a helicopter 1/4 mile from our site.

Any new logging activity or wildfire in the area? These may have pushed them away however they will be back. You may just have an off season is all. I’m new to baiting myself but have been told these two will push game away for a year or two until things start to green up again.

Thank you all for your great advice, ended up waiting out and harvested a gorgeous blonde bear, thank you for your comments

Great work. Was going to offer some advice but I signed up too late. Yes, pictures please.

Out here we envy you westerners who get to hunt the color phase bears. I took #7 last week and not so much as a white blaze!

When I start a bait if it’s having issues getting bears I like to hang a beaver castor in the tree or castor lure used for trapping up in the tree. Hanging a beaver in the tree can also be good. I also like to get lots of grease on the ground. Usually like to put out some jello powder or icing sugar as well. Once you get a bear or two on the bait You have it made

View attachment 172022
First color phase bear, I am getting a rug made and I am almost finished with all my breakfest sausage and summer sausage!
Nice bear! I’m new to hunting Idaho and I’m just trying to get a lay of the land to plan my OTC bear hunt for next spring. I want to use bait but don’t know which units allow it, does anyone know which ones allow bait or how I could find info on which areas I can use bait?

View attachment 172022
First color phase bear, I am getting a rug made and I am almost finished with all my breakfest sausage and summer sausage!
Lukemac48, I'd love to hear what you ended up doing with your baits and what advice served you best on your hunt. This thread is a little old, but sounds like it was the 2020 spring season you asked the question.

Lukemac48, I'd love to hear what you ended up doing with your baits and what advice served you best on your hunt. This thread is a little old, but sounds like it was the 2020 spring season you asked the question.
Hello! I actually did end up moving my bait to a new unit because the bears were active on the bait for a week or so and then left the area completely. One of the biggest lessons I took away from last season was location. After moving that bait that wasn’t productive to the new unit/better area we immediately had bears on our bait within a day. I baited that exact same area this spring and me and a friend took two massive boars within a few days of each other. I think they key to success is areas with old growth timber as far away from roads as you can hike. I know a lot of information on the internet claims you need fancy pastry’s and what the “experts” claim as “good bait” but in my opinion location is the factor that makes a bait great. We used strictly dog food for our bait station and we had bears within a four hours of opening the sight, both years in a row too. Location with old growth timber is key.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back