PEAX Equipment

Bear attack in Colorado

Oak

Expert
Black bear mauls two campers in Rocky Mountain National Park

A black bear mauled two campers over the weekend, leaving them with torn scalps and forcing rangers to shut down a number of backcountry camping sites. Patrick Finan, 22, of Boulder and Tim Schuett, 23, of Glen Ellyn, Ill., were attacked as they slept in separate tents early Sunday, officials said Monday. Finan was bitten in the forehead and scalp before the bear let go, park spokesman Kyle Patterson said. Schuett, who was awakened by the screams of his colleague, was scratched on the head. The bear walked off when he yelled. Park rangers shut down backcountry camping sites in the Odessa Gorge area of the park and were trying to locate the bear. “This is a serious incident,” chief ranger Joe Evans said. “All proper food storage was used in this campsite and the bear still acted aggressively.” The last fatality in the park from a black bear attack was in 1971.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~181~1512164,00.html

Oak

A couple hundred more maulings like this and those idiots running the state of Colorado might actually consider giving the hound guys their bear hunting back.

Geez, I wonder if they tried calming the bear down by playing some soothing John Denver music on their guitars, on a flower covered mountain side??

I wish the bears could be a bit more selective and only attack and maul the tree huggers. Sounds like there are two less people in Colorado today that are opposed to bear hunting with dogs. And if not, there are two more stupid people in Colorado today.
wink.gif
wink.gif

I doubt the bear changed these guys' minds. Notice that the Colorado guy is from the People's Republic of Boulder. I saw him on the news last night and he said the only reason he could think of for the bear attacking them was that he was mad at them for hanging their food where he couldn't reach it.
rolleyes.gif

Oak

Hey Oak,

I was listening to KBPI this morning and they said the bear attacked them because they were doing unatural things that men shouldn't be doing with other men in the tent and the bear saw this and tried to Scare them Straight... I thought it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard
biggrin.gif

Back