Bear Attack Speed Video

WyoDoug

Interesting video from Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming. Shows how fast a bear can attack. I wish I could copy FB videos rather than link it but this is best you can get for videos on FB. EDIT: To eliminate comments I received, please read the video. As this post says, the VIDEO is from Curt Gowdy State Park. Nothing in my post say a grizzly was spotted in Curt Gowdy State Park north of Cheyenne. Please read the entire article with the video to get an understanding on what is going on.

Last edited:
I could (and would have) fired three 3" rifle slugs in the time that bear entered the frame of the camera to the time the bear knocked over the camera of my SX2. Likely I would have fired all 5 well before the bear entered the frame lol Assuming I had my shotgun at the ready.

I hope I never have to.

The person recording this was standing beside, not behind, the trap when the bear was released. The assumption was that the bear would make tracks for the high country when the door was raised. The bear had other ideas. The victim was holding a camera, not a shotgun, but given the speed and shock of the attack unless the shotgun was shouldered I suspect it would have been brushed aside. Seems like the bear let go and got gone before the victim was badly chewed. At least I hope so...

The person recording this was standing beside, not behind, the trap when the bear was released. The assumption was that the bear would make tracks for the high country when the door was raised. The bear had other ideas. The victim was holding a camera, not a shotgun, but given the speed and shock of the attack unless the shotgun was shouldered I suspect it would have been brushed aside. Seems like the bear let go and got gone before the victim was badly chewed. At least I hope so...
No one was attacked. This happened in Montana, the photographer had a camera set up on a tripod. You release bears remotely or with a rope from inside the truck, so no one was in danger.

No one was attacked. This happened in Montana, the photographer had a camera set up on a tripod. You release bears remotely or with a rope from inside the truck, so no one was in danger.
That’s a relief!

I could (and would have) fired three 3" rifle slugs in the time that bear entered the frame of the camera to the time the bear knocked over the camera of my SX2. Likely I would have fired all 5 well before the bear entered the frame lol Assuming I had my shotgun at the ready.

I hope I never have to.
Standing ready with a shotgun is one thing, time yourself against the sound of the gate opening and test yourself at drawing a sidearm or bearspray as if you were surprised. I haven't tried it yet but plan to later on when I have time to put all my gear on.

What a video! There are very few bears, if any, in eastern MA where I live. My very first experience hunting where there are bears was in Kodiak. Prior to the hunt I had watched some videos to get an idea of what to expect, some of which included similar videos (and articles) of bears. I recall having the mindset of the more I watched, the more comfortable/less of a shock it would be when it came time for my hunt. Fast forward to the hunt and the bears were living rent free in my mind. I vividly remember telling myself how stupid it was for me to watch all of these bear videos ahead of the hunt with the expectation that it would make me feel somehow more comfortable.

Standing ready with a shotgun is one thing, time yourself against the sound of the gate opening and test yourself at drawing a sidearm or bearspray as if you were surprised. I haven't tried it yet but plan to later on when I have time to put all my gear on.
Don't be this guy:

Just to clarify, this video was posted by the park Facebook page, it did NOT take place at Curt Gowdy. There are no grizzlies running around in between Laramie and Cheyenne.

We have many, many scary bears around here. NR hunters beware.

giphy.gif

Yeah, even at the ready, it takes a second for the mind to process what is happening and react. You're toast no matter who you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back