Bear Attack Speed Video

And those nasty comments I received LOL, all you had to do was read the article instead of going off the rails. Nothing in the article says it was in Curt Gowdy State Park. I can tell very quickly who didn't bother LOL.

No one went off the rails. I certainly don’t see anything that I would call “nasty comments” either.

There is something I never hope to see.

If anyone did have time to get bear spray or bullets in that bear they would still be in for a butt kicking.
Being realistic, the average joe who thinks he is a hot shot with a side arm would likely have a loose bowel movement before the gun got drawn if at all. You have to place your shots to put down a bear even with a 44. Nothing more dangerous and determined than a wounded bear. The average person rapid firing all rounds they have loaded probably would not be placing shots correctly. If it were possible, I wouldn't mind seeing something set up by G&F so people can see just how fast they have to react with a charging bear.

And those nasty comments I received LOL, all you had to do was read the article instead of going off the rails. Nothing in the article says it was in Curt Gowdy State Park. I can tell very quickly who didn't bother LOL.

I read the article in full. It was YOUR choice of words, "Interesting video from Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming." that could be construed as happening at Curt Gowdy SP. You can "LOL" all you want, what you posted was not funny at all.

ClearCreek

When faced with immediate mortal danger, your primitive brain takes over no matter what you think you would do in some kind of situation. You either fight, flee, or freeze. I’ve had this happen to me three times. One was a physical assault of a guy right next to me. I froze like a statue and didn’t move for two minutes. Another time someone broke into my apartment, and I woke up to them pointing a pistol in my face. I just ran out the front door in my underwear. The third time I got charged by a bull bison that I had no clue was nearby. I turned 180 degrees, ran a short distance, and jumped off a 12’ cliff.

In order to draw on that grizzly you’d have to train your muscles thousands of times to draw and fire on a threat. Then you’d have to get lucky and hope your brain takes neither the flee or freeze pathways. The more physically massive the threat baring down on you, the less likely the human brain is to pick “fight.” I think I’d be lucky to draw my bear spray in 1 out of 10,000 times in that scenario. Some people might have a higher %, but don’t delude yourself into thinking you’d be much better off...

Last edited:
When faced with immediate mortal danger, your primitive brain takes over no matter what you think you would do in some kind of situation. You either fight, flee, or freeze. I’ve had this happen to me three times. One was a physical assault of a guy right next to me. I froze like a statue and didn’t move for two minutes. Another time someone broke into my apartment, and I woke up to them pointing a pistol in my face. I just ran out the front door in my underwear. The third time I got charged by a bull bison that I had no clue was nearby. I turned 180 degrees, ran a short distance, and jumped off a 12’ cliff.

In order to draw on that grizzly you’d have to train your muscles thousands of times to draw and fire on a threat. Then you’d have to get lucky and hope your brain takes neither the free or freeze pathways. The more physically massive the threat baring down on you, the less likely the human brain is to pick “fight.” I think I’d be lucky to draw my bear spray in 1 out of 10,000 times in that scenario. Some people might have a higher %, but don’t delude yourself into thinking you’d be much better off...
I can't say it better. There are bear charge simulators around but you have to look for them. I went to a fair at CSU years ago and someone had one set up. It takes a few seconds to start with for a threat to register in your brain. I tried it numerous times and by time I reacted the "bear" was close enough to do damage even if I hit it with a kill shot. Most people who boast how fast they can draw and how accurate they can shoot have never done so under a high stress threat situation. I was in the MPs in the Marine Corps and I trained regularly on a simulator that covered deadly force scenarios. Until I had a few weeks under my belt, I shot as many "innocent people" as I did actual threats. Took me a long time to pass that part of the course.

Great points. We're no where near ready for a bear attack while out hunting. We are either in predator mode, looking for prey, or we're hiking in, and are only thinking about getting the walk over with. Its impossible to spend 12 hrs a day in react to a threat mode, youre guard is not always up even if you hit the field with bears being the only thing on your mind. The best option is to not hunt alone, and whoever isn't getting mauled can hit the bear with bullets or bear spray.

In order to draw on that grizzly you’d have to train your muscles thousands of times to draw and fire on a threat. Then you’d have to get lucky and hope your brain takes neither the flee or freeze pathways. The more physically massive the threat baring down on you, the less likely the human brain is to pick “fight.” I think I’d be lucky to draw my bear spray in 1 out of 10,000 times in that scenario. Some people might have a higher %, but don’t delude yourself into thinking you’d be much better off...

Very true, another option the brain seems to choose is to just scream at the top of your lungs. I do think the more you train yourself the better your chances of reacting correctly, so still worthwhile I think to put yourself through the mental scenarios in the hopes that some of the training sticks, but you're right, you never know what you're going to do until it happens.

1.5 seconds is the calculated average for human reaction time. If a bear came at you as shown in that vid you'd never stand a chance to even raise your gun, or spray, you'd be dinner.

1.5 seconds is the calculated average for human reaction time. If a bear came at you as shown in that vid you'd never stand a chance to even raise your gun, or spray, you'd be dinner.
You also need to add to that the time it takes the average joe to register a threat in the first place before reacting. The problem with simulators is the threat is already anticipated. In the wild, not all bear charges have any sort of warning before they happen.

You also need to add to that the time it takes the average joe to register a threat in the first place before reacting. The problem with simulators is the threat is already anticipated. In the wild, not all bear charges have any sort of warning before they happen.

The time quoted here is for an instance where driving at highway speed, you perceive the need to emergency brake and are able to put your foot on the brake pedal to begin braking.

When you visit Brooks Lodge in AK they teach you that a brown bear can cover 50 yds in 3 seconds. That's scary fast for an animal that size.

When you visit Brooks Lodge in AK they teach you that a brown bear can cover 50 yds in 3 seconds. That's scary fast for an animal that size.
Yup and just think about it...just how long does it take the average joe just to comprehend there is even a threat to start with? The two bear encounters I had with black bear except when I was actively hunting them, I never knew they were there until I heard them growl Both of them, I went my way and they went their's. Add to that, the average joe once he senses a threat does not automatically react to it unless they have trained on it thousands of times. There is a short "thinking" period before actual reaction occurs.

I spooked a black bear off an elk carcass while archery hunting last year, he must have been napping cause I got about 10 feet from him, he exploded from the brush and was nothing but a blur and was gone before I could even think about drawing my bow. If he'd have come my way he'd have run me over for sure.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back