Bear Attack Speed Video

Don't be this guy:

Ouch! You can see it ripple right through his leg in slowmo. I know plenty of people swear by packing a loaded handgun at all times, and each their own, but I'm not one of them. My guns stay put away until I need them, and I don't load them until it's shooting time. Even so I always check to make sure they're unloaded before handling. I do believe in scenario training, but not with live ammo, I'll leave that to the competition shooters. I like a double action revolver, not as fast but in my mind safer and more reliable.

Yeah, even at the ready, it takes a second for the mind to process what is happening and react. You're toast no matter who you are.
I’m pretty fast with a handgun....have placed pretty well in comps....and used a handgun a couple times under high stress....

I’m pretty sure the bear would have had me in that one.
Yeah I think this is one of the situations where it doesn't much matter, even with a couple slugs in it that bear is hitting you like a freight train and getting a couple chomps in.

Ouch! You can see it ripple right through his leg in slowmo. I know plenty of people swear by packing a loaded handgun at all times, and each their own, but I'm not one of them. My guns stay put away until I need them, and I don't load them until it's shooting time. Even so I always check to make sure they're unloaded before handling. I do believe in scenario training, but not with live ammo, I'll leave that to the competition shooters. I like a double action revolver, not as fast but in my mind safer and more reliable.

One time for a court case I was requested to see if I could make a gun go off accidentally.....it was a modern issued semi auto thst a lot of cops carry(I leave it at that) and the gun did not have a manually controlled safety.

I literally did everything to it including using a 2lb hammer at full force going in the direction the firing pin travels (most likely way to cause a discharge in older guns without a firing pin block). And could not get the gun to go off until the trigger was depressed in the normal manor.

In short....there are no accidental discharges....it’s all on you.

Mechanical failure could happen with anything....but resulting in a discharge would be highly unlikely. Even if you look at the recent “dropped gun discharge” recalls.....it’s pretty dang rare....

Just keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire and all will be well...

I carry a firearm every day...all day....and did so in combat and in LE.

One time for a court case I was requested to see if I could make a gun go off accidentally.....it was a modern issued semi auto thst a lot of cops carry(I leave it at that) and the gun did not have a manually controlled safety.

I literally did everything to it including using a 2lb hammer at full force going in the direction the firing pin travels (most likely way to cause a discharge in older guns without a firing pin block). And could not get the gun to go off until the trigger was depressed in the normal manor.

In short....there are no accidental discharges....it’s all on you.

Mechanical failure could happen with anything....but resulting in a discharge would be highly unlikely. Even if you look at the recent “dropped gun discharge” recalls.....it’s pretty dang rare....

Just keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire and all will be well...

I carry a firearm every day...all day....and did so in combat and in LE.

That's interesting info regarding trying to get it to accidentally fire, but I suppose we should still remember our safety training of assuming that mechanical failure can happen. Like most things, we are our own worst enemy, I guess I just don't have the years of intimate handgun handling to trust myself not to bump that trigger like the guy did in the video if I were trying to draw in a high stress situation. I'm sure for someone highly trained like yourself a semi auto is just as safe as double action.

There are negligent discharges, there aren't accidental discharges...

Catching the trigger on brush or your clothing can end badly even with your finger not on the trigger.

The one time I witnessed a "oh crap, the gun was not supposed to go off then" was negligence. I was riding in a truck down a gravel road with a guy (Army vet and proficient with handguns) who stores a loaded semi-automatic handgun in a paddle holster behind his truck seat. A porcupine waddled in front of us as we drove to dove hunt that evening. He had recently taken one of his duck dogs with a mouthful of quills to the Veterinarian so he decided to execute the porcupine. As he walked around the front of the truck he began to jerk on the gun to get it out of the paddle holster. He was not wearing the holster and the gun was not releasing. He yanked yet again as walked and as the gun started to slide free then his grip slid and depressed the trigger. Boom. Gravel flew up hitting things but no new holes in him. He was embarrassed as should be. Was a quiet few miles until got to the dove field.

If you catch the trigger on brush, slip while holstering, or any other thing that could happen to press the trigger....

You failed at gun handling and/or you have a junk holster/improperly cared for.

And that’s all on you.....

If you are not comfortable.....then yes guns are not for you.

Lots of people are scared of locked and cocked style carry......but don’t realize the vast majority of your rifles, shotguns, and other firearms are essentially locked and cocked.

I gave it a try with my bino harness and pack, without my rifle or trekking poles or anything in my hands. With a pistol or bear spray if I use the first growling as an "oh shit" signal and then the sound of the gate opening as a draw signal, I could get a couple shots in or discharge the spray, but surely the bear would still run me over, and who knows how well I'd shoot. If I just used the sound of the gate as a starting point I can barely get the gun or spray out before it's on me.

Not to dwell on bear danger but I think just like practicing shooting with your gear on it's worthwhile to practice accessing bear spray or side arm and to think through how to deal with various scenarios you might encounter in the field before it happens, especially if you're like me and don't always carry a sidearm. Sometimes there's just no chance, but better prepared than not.

Best defense is to pay attention. Always be scanning for bears 50-100 yds out. Look for things that might attract bears. See a carcass of any animal in griz country always make the hair on my neck stand up and heightens my senses. Spotting that griz at 50 yds or more before he spots you will increase your chances of avoiding a direct encounter or successfully reacting to by 100x or more. Inside of 50 yds, your odds are not good.

I could (and would have) fired three 3" rifle slugs in the time that bear entered the frame of the camera to the time the bear knocked over the camera of my SX2. Likely I would have fired all 5 well before the bear entered the frame lol Assuming I had my shotgun at the ready.

I hope I never have to.
Riiiiight! LMAO! The ONLY chance that you have to do that, is if you had your shotgun off of your shoulder and were totally expecting the bear. THEN hope that your Wyatt Earp guts kick in and you can stay cool enough to put the slugs where they belong. SMDH.

Last edited:
For everyone confident at the moment of truth you will use your quick reflexes and marksmanship to nail that charging bear like a roofer slamming a 2P into a shingle, here are some data points for trained LEO that qualify their marksmanship up to four times annually:

The Rand study looked at NYPD firearm-discharge reports from 1998 through 2006.
Hit ratios were:
23% for shots at suspects more than seven yards away
37% when the suspect was seven yards or closer

For those who hike with earbuds while in grizzly country, your hit ratios may be lower.

Hit ratios were:
23% for shots at suspects more than seven yards away
37% when the suspect was seven yards or closer

I'm guessing this is one of the main reason bear spray seems to be more effective, the average person is hitting even less.

What if you are packin a 10mm Glock? mtmuley

If you load the right rounds it'll kill them every time right? Where's the thread(s) about that? I thought it had to be at least a 44 mag or you're wasting your time. Dragon's breath!

Salmon season starts Saturday!

Interesting video from Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming. Shows how fast a bear can attack. I wish I could copy FB videos rather than link it but this is best you can get for videos on FB.

I am not sure what you were implying when you said, "Interesting video from Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming". Did you mean this event happened at Curt Gowdy State Park or did you mean the video was on their Facebook page?

The way you have it worded many people might think the grizzly bear was released in Curt Gowdy State Park, which I hope you know, is totally false. Please, in the future, be more responsible and not post things with misleading wording that could potentially scare the hell out of people that use that area.

ClearCreek

I am not sure what you were implying when you said, "Interesting video from Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming". Did you mean this event happened at Curt Gowdy State Park or did you mean the video was on their Facebook page?

The way you have it worded many people might think the grizzly bear was released in Curt Gowdy State Park, which I hope you know, is totally false. Please, in the future, be more responsible and not post things with misleading wording that could potentially scare the hell out of people that use that area.

ClearCreek
It was on their FB page not at Curt Gowdy. However, they are slowly expanding territory south. They have already been spotted and confirmed at least once in Kemmerer. It would help if you read the article. Details are right there.

Last edited:
It was on their FB page not at Curt Gowdy. However, they are slowly expanding territory south. They have already been spotted and confirmed at least once in Kemmerer.
There’s a huge difference between the southern Wyoming Range and Cheyenne...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back