PEAX Equipment

Be careful with your smokers.

Interesting timing.

I know absolutely ZERO about smokers....but starting to think about getting one.
Buddy has been telling me the less expensive Pitboss models are better built than the Traegers of similar price.
I just want to ease in to the smoking thing without blowing a wad of money. But also want to buy quality.
Whats the deal with this flaming issue?
Yeah, I know...tons of threads, info galore on-line. Interested in opinions from my Bro's.
I'd rather not start off burning my property.😁

I have a Pit Boss, it's been going for about 6-7 years now. It's starting to wear out though and it's hard to keep the temp consistent at the lowest settings anymore. It's workable for meat but not for smoking fish.

I have a Pit Boss, it's been going for about 6-7 years now. It's starting to wear out though and it's hard to keep the temp consistent at the lowest settings anymore. It's workable for meat but not for smoking fish.
Thanks.
Any speculation what is wearing out?

Anybody?
Whats the advantage to a vertical smoker?
I have two vert gas smokers (10+ years) and a camp chef pellet that I’ve had for 10 months.
The big advantage of a vert smoker to me, is the amount of capacity for the cost. One of my vert smokers easily holds 2x what the pellet grill does for ~1/3 of the price tag.
My opinion though, if you’re just wanting to get started and aren’t planning on smoking lots of sausage or meat sticks, I’d go for a quality pellet grill. They are SO handy and versatile. Also, you’ll be tempted to save money and get a small/midsized model…..don’t do that.

I have a newer Pitboss and it is very easy to get controlled temps.
I love tri tips and steaks done on it and it has a panel to open and sear, which I love. It has not flaired up past the open lid,yet.
The manual such as it is says cleaning is a big deal, built up grease. Have not cleaned it yet and it looks pretty clean.
I plan on putting it on the back porch ,which will have 10' high roof over it. So I can use it....LOL
It's out under a cover and snow free today. Well above a foot off the ground.
I'm paranoid about getting any moisture in the control panel.
And I'd never put the propane grill under the roof. That does flair up. LOL

I’ve got a vertical propane masterbuilt that I really like. Doesn't have any electronics, which is nice. Has two doors one for accessing the burner/chips and other for accessing the shelves. Also, lots of capacity for smoking a bunch of ribs or a whole batch of sausage at once.

22215F41-28C2-43A9-B0F2-30AF611E7C6E.jpeg

Get that thing together yet? ;) Happy birthday by the way. Guess I should have bought YOU lunch today!

The guy down the road had to put new Vinyl siding on one side of his house due to a grill fire. Beer was involved but not all the the problem.

I have a newer Pitboss and it is very easy to get controlled temps.
I love tri tips and steaks done on it and it has a panel to open and sear, which I love. It has not flaired up past the open lid,yet.
The manual such as it is says cleaning is a big deal, built up grease. Have not cleaned it yet and it looks pretty clean.
I plan on putting it on the back porch ,which will have 10' high roof over it. So I can use it....LOL
It's out under a cover and snow free today. Well above a foot off the ground.
I'm paranoid about getting any moisture in the control panel.
And I'd never put the propane grill under the roof. That does flair up. LOL

If yours is like mine be more wary of the heat that comes off the back of it, clearance above isn't as much of an issue.

Cool.
All ears to hear your take.
Is that a pellet smoker?
It is, I'll let you know. To your question earlier I like the vertical because it gives me a lot more volume to do sausage, sticks and jerky things like that. If your just looking to smoke an occasional brisket or pulled pork I would probably go with the grill style. At least that's my $.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back