Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Be careful with your smokers.

Nick87

Had a pork shoulder on the smoker today. When its cold I put it out in our front porch because it blocks the wind from the west. And I can look out the picture window in the living room to monitor the temp. Smelled something funny and saw that thing chiefing smoke. Wtf! Cracked it open, yup! Flames came shooting out no good! A as able to reach in with a hook and fling my flaming pork butt that was already wrapped into the snow then kicked the smoker back shut and get it away from the house and out from under the porch. Scary shit I had just gotten back from picking the wife up from work. (I drove her this morning because our road was drifted shut this morning. Now I get to go shipping for a smoker first thing tomorrow I've got 14 pounds of sausage that was supposed to go on in the morning. Hopefully the pork shoulder works out all I can smell is burning plastic. It was wrapped amd the whole thing took place in a matter of a minute or two.

Had a pork shoulder on the smoker today. When its cold I put it out in our front porch because it blocks the wind from the west. And I can look out the picture window in the living room to monitor the temp. Smelled something funny and saw that thing chiefing smoke. Wtf! Cracked it open, yup! Flames came shooting out no good! A as able to reach in with a hook and fling my flaming pork butt that was already wrapped into the snow then kicked the smoker back shut and get it away from the house and out from under the porch. Scary shit I had just gotten back from picking the wife up from work. (I drove her this morning because our road was drifted shut this morning. Now I get to go shipping for a smoker first thing tomorrow I've got 14 pounds of sausage that was supposed to go on in the morning. Hopefully the pork shoulder works out all I can smell is burning plastic. It was wrapped amd the whole thing took place in a matter of a minute or two.
Dang I’ve heard of that happening but haven’t seen it personally. Any idea how it started ?

Yikes. Pellet or wood fired? mtmuley

Dang I’ve heard of that happening but haven’t seen it personally. Any idea how it started ?
No I don't I literally checked it maybe 3 minutes before that everything was where it was supposed to be. We bought the house 6 months ago. And we've got some expensive projects ahead of us I turned to the wife and said what u think let it go and collect the money? I was out the door before she finished scolding me. My luck the insurance wouldn't cover it and I'd be living in a wall tent. No I'd be divorced so a one man tent I guess.

Yikes. Pellet or wood fired? mtmuley
Did that with a pellet grill. Opened it to pull a brisket off to wrap it. Little did I know the wind blew it out when I did that but the hopper kept rolling. They filled up enough that it was just smoldering. Once I opened it and put brisket back on it apparently caught enough air and lit a pan full of pellets. Definitely burned off any fat left on the grill.

Had a few close calls myself glad it turned out alright for you and the family. If it makes you feel better I once watched a guy catch his $20,000 + smoker/trailer on fire totaling it and his pickup it was still attached to at a BBQ competition. Fire got so hot there were pools of aluminum left in the dirt from the trucks rims melting. My only offset is a Oklahoma Joe's bronco barrel style smoker I like. If you wanna go pellet vertical pit boss probably be a solid choice but im bias on pellets.

Dang man glad you saw it in time to manually eject! I put a huge ass Turkey on the rotisserie years ago for thanksgiving. One leg came free, hooked the grate, and the spit skewer just spun in the body cavity with the bird caught. It was on low but with the fat on the skin I came back outside to find my grill literally engulfed. Got everything shut down and the bird off but it looked like a greasy briquette, only thanksgiving where we had burgers and all the fixings for dinner ☹️

Last edited:
Had a few close calls myself glad it turned out alright for you and the family. If it makes you feel better I once watched a guy catch his $20,000 + smoker/trailer on fire totaling it and his pickup it was still attached to at a BBQ competition. Fire got so hot there were pools of aluminum left in the dirt from the trucks rims melting. My only offset is a Oklahoma Joe's bronco barrel style smoker I like. If you wanna go pellet vertical pit boss probably be a solid choice but im bias on pellets.
Pellets are fine and that's what I was leaning towards. Just didn't want a pellet grill need the vertical. I use the smoker for sausage, sticks, and jerky just as much or more than I do for butt, brisket etc so I need the room.

Last edited:
Dang man glad you saw it in time to manually eject! I put a huge ass Turkey on the rotisserie years ago for thanksgiving. One leg came free, hooked the grate, and the spit skewer just spun in the body cavity with the bird caught. It was on low but with the far one the skin I came back outside to find my grill literally engulfed. Got everything shut down and the bird off but it looked like a greasy briquette, only thanksgiving where we had burgers and all the fixings for dinner ☹️
I told the wife on the way out the door. We might be heading to Culver's for dinner after all.😂

On that note it's my birthday tomorrow so I'm going shopping someone sell me a vertical smoker don't want a pellet grill.

I think you need a vertical smoker and a separate gas or charcoal grill...that's what I want anyhow.

Couple years ago I had my pellet smoker rolled out and a little too close to the crummy vinyl siding our house came with. Ended up with a patch of saggy plastic siding behind where the smoker sits, whoops!

I think you need a vertical smoker and a separate gas or charcoal grill...that's what I want anyhow.

Couple years ago I had my pellet smoker rolled out and a little too close to the crummy vinyl siding our house came with. Ended up with a patch of saggy plastic siding behind where the smoker sits, whoops!
Yah that's what I have well had up until about an hour ago lol. I prefer to do all my grilling on either the charcoal weber or gas grill.

I thought our house was going up in flames one day. I was smoking bacon. I did like you, hurling the bacon into the yard and shutting the lid. I try to keep it clean now.

Wow! Glad you didn't have any damage. I use a stick burner. Not near as simple as set and forget, need a place to get and store wood, lots of attention needed for proper temperature and all that stuff. But it only blows out if I let it and only burns what I put into it. Good luck with the search. That's one rabbit hole I want no part of!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back