Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Base Camp Tent Options For a Family of 4

We run an Alaknak 12x12 with the disco bunk beds times 2. With the vestibule we all fit. We have a neat set up with little folding tables and lamps. With the wood stove in it gets a little tight without we do fine. We use the vestibule to hold our kitchen and cook and we store all extra clothing under. I had a much lager wall tent. We never used it as it was too much to pack, too much to carry, took way too much time to set up etc. The 12x12 I can setup with my 10 year old son in about 30minutes total. Then add in beds etc. as we are done in 45 min tops.

The point, when you look at options determine how heavy you want how much space it takes, etc. Especially if all you are doing is spending the dark hours in the tent. You do not need lots of room to sleep and dress and eat.

We use an elk mountain 16' Yukon bell tent. With the disco cots and a wood stove, it easily fits my family of six. They use some kind of synthetic canvas that's supposed to be more resistant to moisture. I'm in new mexico, so that's not really an issue here.

+1 for the Kodiak Canvas tent.

I have the 10x14 super deluxe flex bow version (now called the VX model I think)and I like it more and more with each passing year.

In addition to being excellent for winter camping, the super deluxe is great as a summer camper too since you can really open up the massive and screened windows on all sides to let a nice breeze flow through the tent.

We've got a 14x16 Davis tent, and an 8-man Seek Outside teepee - we love both and have run them in all sorts of conditions without fail.

The only issue I'd echo about the teepee which has been covered extensively elsewhere is that you have to be particularly careful about how you pitch it in high winds.

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3608.jpeg
    IMG_3608.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Our base camp (truck) is a Kodiak (springbar) with bunk beds. We have used it for around 15 years with our family. I just spent five nights in it. It sleeps four comfortably but you could make a few guys sleep on the floor if you want to pack it.

We just bought a Kodiak flexbow. It sets up nice and easy and feels sturdy. I haven’t had the chance to camp with it yet, but we planned on bringing a small generator and portable a c unit for when it gets hot.

OK.... So im a cheap ass and bought an ozark Trail wall tent. I think its 12x10.

Dude, its awesome. Took 50 mph winds in the breaks with zero issues. No issues with bugs, Has a pretty thick floor liner that comes off the ground about a foot on the sides so no issues with water or flooding. All the poles are color coded too so dummies like myself can put it together easy. Even has a sweet stove jack and bug screens on the windows and the door. Do a good job anchoring that thing down and you wont have any issues.

Do I expect it to last 20 years. Yea probably not. But I was really surprised how durable it really is. So much more comfortable then a freaking 2p tent laying on the ground.

For what I paid, the one year I got out of it I was more then happy. I suspect I can get 5 years out of this thing tho.

bought my 12x12 Alaknak on my way to a Pronghorn archery hunt in 2009. For Summer Trips it's fine for 3 kids and a couple.

Fall and winter with a stove, 2 people can stay out of each others way easily, 3 will work.

Personally I'd buy 2 - 12x12 before I got the 12x20 . Reason being pitching location size. You need an additional 6 feet each direction for tie out points. There are alternative tents from Montana Canvas and Davis and the Wall Tent Shop that may be better quality than the current crop of Alaknaks.

We own a North Face wawona 6. Good headroom, plenty of room to sleep 4, and the “foyer/mud room” is a really nice feature. Have also slept in a Kodak canvas and that thing is bombproof, and has lots of nice storage features. Happy hunting!

I also have the 12x12 Alaknak with the vestibule. I can confirm it's a palace with 2 guys on cots with a stove. I wouldn't want to try to fit my wife and 2 kids in it with a stove unless we were all in bags on the ground or some kind of bunk system. It could work for a short weekend. But if you need to toss in a stove it will get cramped pretty quickly trying to fit four people, even with bunks. Also, if you go with the Alaknak, ALWAYS get the vestibule.

I also have the 12x12 Alaknak with the vestibule. I can confirm it's a palace with 2 guys on cots with a stove. I wouldn't want to try to fit my wife and 2 kids in it with a stove unless we were all in bags on the ground or some kind of bunk system. It could work for a short weekend. But if you need to toss in a stove it will get cramped pretty quickly trying to fit four people, even with bunks. Also, if you go with the Alaknak, ALWAYS get the vestibule.
We have done a couple week trips in ours. With a family of 4. It is tight but very doable. Especially if you plan and set it all up in the yard. We have folding dinner tables, folding chairs, and stash all our clothes in totes under the beds, we have the bags that hang from the cots and more etc.

It really depends on how much time you stay in it. If you are there long enough to eat and get dressed then hunt until dark eat and crawl into bed it works fine. If you are stuck in it all day it ducks but that is true of all tents. The nice part about the 12x12 is a lot less area to hear and a lot less time to heat up and a lot less wood to keep warm…

OK.... So im a cheap ass and bought an ozark Trail wall tent. I think its 12x10.

Dude, its awesome. Took 50 mph winds in the breaks with zero issues. No issues with bugs, Has a pretty thick floor liner that comes off the ground about a foot on the sides so no issues with water or flooding. All the poles are color coded too so dummies like myself can put it together easy. Even has a sweet stove jack and bug screens on the windows and the door. Do a good job anchoring that thing down and you wont have any issues.

Do I expect it to last 20 years. Yea probably not. But I was really surprised how durable it really is. So much more comfortable then a freaking 2p tent laying on the ground.

For what I paid, the one year I got out of it I was more then happy. I suspect I can get 5 years out of this thing tho.
@KB_ Glad to hear yours is holding up well! Any issues with the frame? Condensation?

Just bought a 10x20 on sale for $450. I’ve only set it up in my garage, like you I’m super impressed with it for the price. But the frame is pretty lightweight and I’m considering buying angles and building a proper wall tent frame for it, but that’s not cheap.

I was about to spend the coin on a Davis but with record inflation, application season coming up, etc I decided to take a chance with the Ozark trail. Like you said, if I get a couple of years out of it I will be happy.

My seek outside tipis are great for packing in, but get cramped after a while.

Does anyone run a old military surplus canvas? We had one as kids, weighed a ton but it was $15 at an auction. I don’t even know where you could find one anymore though.

Does anyone run a old military surplus canvas? We had one as kids, weighed a ton but it was $15 at an auction. I don’t even know where you could find one anymore though.

Too heavy for packing, but I will run a canvas tarp for some summer trips in the truck. I like them better than plastic…

@KB_ Glad to hear yours is holding up well! Any issues with the frame? Condensation?

Just bought a 10x20 on sale for $450. I’ve only set it up in my garage, like you I’m super impressed with it for the price. But the frame is pretty lightweight and I’m considering buying angles and building a proper wall tent frame for it, but that’s not cheap.

I was about to spend the coin on a Davis but with record inflation, application season coming up, etc I decided to take a chance with the Ozark trail. Like you said, if I get a couple of years out of it I will be happy.

My seek outside tipis are great for packing in, but get cramped after a while.
I had the same concerns about the frame. But there has been no issues so far. The case is not the best in the world but I might pick up a big Plano or roller tub from home depot to replace it once it blows up.

I often use propane heaters for the cold nights and sure there is some condensation but there is enough ventilation in the roof where it doesn't start raining on you. Would certainly be better with a wood stove no doubt about it. The canvas is much tougher then you would think. The zipper for the front bug screen looks like it might be the first one to die so I may sew in some buttons like a button up shirt.

Oh dont put it on top of cactus lol blew up my air mattress cause I didnt double check the area for cactus. My fault.

It works really good for what it is. Frankly i'm shocked the frame has held up as good as it has.

I know of one person who bought a canvas tent off of Vevor, and has done a night out with good results.

Bonus.....They have an internet Influencer program!!!!

canvas-bell-tent-a100-1.4.jpg

Hey just checking in on this a year later. How is the ozark trail tent holding up?

Would you do it again?

Back