Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Barnes vs Berger after the shot performance.

I used Federal Power Shok years ago and didn't like the damage to the meat, so when I switched to Barnes I liked the fact that it didn't do near as much damage. I'll steer clear of the Berger, they shoot really well out of my rifle.
For shooting small groups I like Sierra Match Kings but no way would I use them for big game hunting!

For shooting small groups I like Sierra Match Kings but no way would I use them for big game hunting!
Apples and oranges. Berger’s hunting line is tested on ballistic gel and performs the way they want it to as a hunting bullet. Bullets in the tactical and target lines did not reliably fragment sometimes going through the gel more like an FMJ. Sierra match bullets are not tested on ballistic gel and are not marketed by Sierra as hunting bullets. Some people try it. Some Matchkings might work just fine on animals. Berger HUNTING bullets have been tested for hunting and are marketed by Berger as hunting bullets.

Again. Apples and oranges.

I may be in the minority here but I am going away from the 180 gr TTSX and trying 200 gr accubonds out of my 300 RUM. The TTSX are performing more like bergers are supposed to. I have recovered three of the TTSX from game, two completely shed their petals and the third the bullet kind of bent in half and didnt mushroom. I recently shot a caribou that had one entry wound and 3 exit wounds from the petals breaking off again.

I may be in the minority here but I am going away from the 180 gr TTSX and trying 200 gr accubonds out of my 300 RUM. The TTSX are performing more like bergers are supposed to. I have recovered three of the TTSX from game, two completely shed their petals and the third the bullet kind of bent in half and didnt mushroom. I recently shot a caribou that had one entry wound and 3 exit wounds from the petals breaking off again.
Fragmenting copper is a copper that would interest me.

Bending in half suggests marginal stability. MAYBE an extreme impact angle, but I lean much more toward tip wobble from marginal stability. Have you run the 180TTSX through a twist calculator?

Never have tried the Berger’s, but have used just about every other bullet with lead in it that I can think of. I’ve heard too many stories of their explosive performance, and I’m not an extreme long range shooter that may need a bullet to open at very low velocities.
Decided to try a Barnes TTSX 168gr in my 300 WSM a couple years ago - so far have killed 2 elk and 2 deer with shots ranging from 75 - 300 yds, with varying shot angles and the amount of bone hit. These 4 animals are a pretty small test sample, but so far, so good. They all died just as quick as anything else I’ve seen, with a fraction of the meat damage.
There is plenty of info online that shows just how far a tiny lead fragment can travel through tissue upon impact on these game animals. I also butcher my own and have found lead a few times well beyond the main bloodshot area. How many times did I miss finding these small fragments?

Fragmenting copper is a copper that would interest me.

Bending in half suggests marginal stability. MAYBE an extreme impact angle, but I lean much more toward tip wobble from marginal stability. Have you run the 180TTSX through a twist calculator?
I have not run them through a twist calculator. They have been very accurate just not the kind of on game performance I am looking for. I have heard reports of them tumbling at longer distances but thats nothing I can confirm.

Attachments

• barnes2.jpg
    barnes2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
I read a good post some years back by someone comparing bullet choices to religions. We develop our own faith in what we want to see and what we think works.
I have several boxes of Berger’s to shoot in my 264 I generally shoot ttsx because I like deep tissue penetration and not a fan of bloodshot meat.
Kinda depends on what ya like a bullet to do, besides just kill.

200 grain Accubond at 3200 fps and don't look back. I guarantee you will like the results. mtmuley

I have not run them through a twist calculator. They have been very accurate just not the kind of on game performance I am looking for. I have heard reports of them tumbling at longer distances but thats nothing I can confirm.
You can shoot really accurately with marginal stability. Not that hard to run through a twist calculator. You might need more twist to shoot a bullet that long and not have tumbling.

No way that 180 TTSX isn’t stable in a 10 twist RUM. mtmuley
I’ll take your word for it. I didn’t know his twist, nor do I know how long a 180 TTSX is.

A 180 Elite Hunter and 185VLD are only marginally stable in a 12” twist but the 190VLD is gtg. Assuming 180gr mono with a polymer tip is probably longer than those bullets, I thought it worth checking, especially since he recovered a banana.

Actually I just checked and yes a 180gr TTSX is definitely fully stable from a 10” twist.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back