Caribou Gear

Barnes TSX vs TTSX

elkhnter

OK, here’s my issue. Have a great load for my 257 Weatherby using the TSX. Thought I had a couple boxes bought, but fell through, so picked up a box of TTSX.
Anyone worked with both? What if any differences will I see? Is it starting over or just load and go?

The TTSX will give you a better BC (if you shoot far enough to care), and will expand more predictably (not that I have heard about problems of non-expansion of TSX). I view TTSX as an upgraded TSX. I have switched from lead to copper in all my game rifles and have use the TTSX almost exclusively (I one finicky 7mm08 shoots Hammers). Many of the TTSX have different weights than the TSX alternative so I don't see it as a direct replacement for a given handload, but if a particular rifle and a particular powder worked with TSX, I would expect them to work with TTSX without any difficulty.

I had the exact same thing happen years ago with my 270. They shot the same for me. We’ve shot a bunch of critters with that 100 gr ttsx in 257 weatherby and it’s amazing how hard that little bullet hits and drops them.

No idea what the difference is between the two. I do know that my rifle goes “bang” and the critter goes “flop” with my TTSX.

The TTSX will give you a better BC (if you shoot far enough to care), and will expand more predictably (not that I have heard about problems of non-expansion of TSX). I view TTSX as an upgraded TSX. I have switched from lead to copper in all my game rifles and have use the TTSX almost exclusively (I one finicky 7mm08 shoots Hammers). Many of the TTSX have different weights than the TSX alternative so I don't see it as a direct replacement for a given handload, but if a particular rifle and a particular powder worked with TSX, I would expect them to work with TTSX without any difficulty.

This. Same difference between any flat based and boat tail spitzer bullet. I had the same POI w/ a hornady 165 flat based as I did with the boattail interlock. I can't imagine it being that much different with the Barnes. If you plan on encountering a lot of wind, or shooting long distance, the TTSC would be my choice, but I shoot the TSX out of a 9.3x74R that I'd be confident taking game out to 300 yards w/.

Whichever shoots best, use.

Was actually just looking at the 98gr Shock Hammers, my buddy reloads and is excited to build a new round for this rifle
How's this for rocketry?

I used to use the Nosler Partition in my .340 Wby, and it killed Elk efficiently. Unfortunately when I had my rifle rebarreled, it would not shoot the Partitions or the Swift A-Frames as tight (groups) as the TTSX. I now use the 225 TTSX exclusively, and the Elk I have shot with it didn't take a step after the shot.

No idea what the difference is between the two. I do know that my rifle goes “bang” and the critter goes “flop” with my TTSX.
I've only used TSX bullets in my .375 RUM with a whole lot of bang...flops.

I started using 168 grain TSX bullets in my .300 Wby then changed to 168 grain TTSX bullets. Again a whole lot of bang...flops.

I'm now loading 180 grain TTSX bullets and once again bang...flops.

They have all worked great. If anything, the TTSX bullets may be a little more accurate and may open quicker.

A video on You tube shows the TTSX opening on contact with a test block. While the other all Copper bullets took a
little over a inch.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back