Banquet guns

I edited it to make it read better. It’s a progressive raffle, all I won is a chance. One chance per raffle held within the state. So I have 1 out of 18 odds of winning a guided elk hunt near Meeker.

So I’m not sure if the details, they didn’t print them anywhere. I really have no idea about any of it. It’s my guess that the hunt is like the guns, Cheap.

Meeker isn’t known for trophies and not one I am willing to burn my points on. So my second guess is it’s one of the OTC hunts.
Gotcha

I quit going to banquets and just buy a rifle I want every year. The math is in my favor based on the sheer number of events, low odds, and the extreme cost of just attending.

I should quit buying production rifles and get something made.
I’ve given up on math application to a banquet. I go to just have an evening away for a good cause. I did buy an auction item or to be more precise an auction experience.

One of the old timers donated a day long trapping class for 2 people. Figured it would be a good time with the kids. 900 bucks for something he would of done for free if I called him, will never make math sense.

While not RMEF, the first gun I ever officially owned is a "Friends of the NRA" Beretta ES100 Pintail. My grandfather won it at a local banquet and gave it to me for my 12th birthday. I have thousands of rounds through it, it's basically an extension of my arm at this point.

I do agree that these days most everything you see at a banquet or raffle is crap, quantity over quality.

I am one of those guys that went to 20+ banquets before my ticket was ever called to win a firearm. The odds finally caught up and now we have won a bunch of low grade guns - Most of which I promptly took to my local small gun shop and had them consigned.
I have spoke with most of the chapter chair people and asked them to PLEASE supply a few quality firearms at each of the banquets. I will no longer buy a raffle ticket for firearm that I really don't have any desire to own -which defeats the purpose of these banquets. I understand having basic guns in the general raffle, but the rest of the gun raffles should be better. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the "mystery gun", be a $2-300 22 with a scope or lever action- ouch.

It would sure be nice to see a better balance of quantity with some quality to have a successful gun raffle. We usually attend a couple of banquets each year and all of the great organizations seemed to drop the ball on these raffles(RMEF/DU/PF/NWTF) to name the banquets we go to.

I tried to at the FFL, he didn’t want it back, it had sat at the shop for over a year and it was his way to move it. Lol

We shot it this afternoon at a spinner target and the kids had fun so it was worth it.
A lot of shops will do this with guns that aren’t moving at the end of the year

This is surely a chapter-to-chapter decision from all the events I've attended, volunteered for, and organized. The goal is to make 50%+ on each item, so underwriting or outright donations are key. For some smaller events it can be hard to get underwriting for or outright firearm donations. It is hard for smaller/new events to deal in more expensive items, especially if they are buying those items, in this case, firearms.

Larger events with folks tossing around their money make it easier to upgrade the merchandise, including firearms. There are always a few industrial grade firearms on the general raffles and lower cost games/raffles.

I emcee 4-6 of these kind of events in a year. From my experience, no matter the crowd, for games like card raffles, hat raffles, silent or live auctions, it is way more profitable to have a higher end firearm.

Thanks for supporting the event. Hopefully they can grow the event and upgrade the merchandise as they grow.

FFS

"I won a gun, it wasn't as nice as I think it should be, I'm pissed."

If you don't like the prize for God's sake don't buy a ticket. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that would be grateful to win.
You buy tickets to the event when you reserve your dinner tickets months ahead of the auction. You have no real idea what you’re buying auction tickets for, you just know you’re giving money to RMEF.

I’m not disappointed my number was called, I was disappointed that there was so much cheap crap there.

Can you tell us what % does RMEF fund and what % the chapter have to have to supply these auction items?
RMEF national will provide some items, such as "The Gun of the Year" but for the most part the local chapter is responsible for supplying the items. The local chapter gets to purchase items from a large catalog that RMEF puts together that is filled with deals struck directly with manufacturers. RMEF national fronts the inventory to the chapter, getting reimbursed from the banquet proceeds. If the chapter is buying everything (even at discounts in the event catalog) and is light on donations or underwriting, it's going to eat into the "net realization" from the event.

RMEF, DU, PF, and other NGOs meet with the gun manufacturers to get great wholesale pricing on firearms directly from the company. To get that pricing, the national office must commit to "X" amount to be purchased by "Y" date. As a result, a non-profit group might get a $1,000 firearm at a cost to their chapters of $600 dollars through these contracts. Local chapters then can buy for the price the national office has negotiated with the company, making it easier for them to get that 50% net number.

Larger banquets can usually get closer to a 60-65% net if they have a good committee that can get a lot of underwriting and direct donations, then leverage the deals the national HQ helps put together. That allows the bigger chapters to take a bit more risk in upgrading their merchandise, including firearms.

We attended a RMEF banquet last night and was sorely disappointed in the quality of the firearms there. We won one of the progressive raffles for a chance at a CO guided elk hunt and a Winchester Wildcat 22lr. Which has to be one of the ugliest 22s on the market.

There were a 3-4 nice rifles but most were plastic junk. The nicest was a Christianson Arms Ridgeline in 6.5PRC.

The tables had mostly plastic junk and hats in them as well.

I know each chapter has say over quality of what they choose to auction.

Are your banquets the same or is it all Winchester and savage cheapies?

First world problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back