Caribou Gear Tarp

Banner Year For Rabbits

shrapnel

We may have certainly shattered the record for rabbits in a single morning. We started from Bozeman at 8:00 AM and headed to Big Timber for rabbits. The temperature was 3 below zero, but clear.

You can't go to Big Timber without stopping at the Fort and we did that. Then we headed out to the ranch with high hopes of seeing plenty of rabbits. There was plenty of snow, which isn't bad, but drifting can slow you down.

We had to dig our way through one gate and only a 1/4 mile later we had to chain up the front end.

Once we got to the top, where I wanted to get, we split up and I walked the top of the rims and every one else walked below the rims watching for rabbits. It sounded like the Battle of the Little Bighorn. I couldn't see anyone but I knew where they were from constant gunfire.

My son got a call from his wife at about noon and said that the furnace wasn't working at home, so we had to cut the shooting short to head back.

Only a total of around 3 hours, we had the best shoot I can ever remember. We ended up with 50 rabbits that were not blown up beyond salvage, started cleaning them and headed back.

What a day...

DSCN2482.jpg

DSCN2487.jpg

DSCN2490.jpg

That is an impressive pile of bunnies. What is your favorite recipe?

They seem to be in pretty high number in SW MT. I shot 8 a couple weeks ago. I plan to try some in sausage, pan fried (then braised in a nice porter), and maybe even a traditional hasenfeffer. I want to get more with my little 410 shotgun.

Rabbits are easy to fix, like any grouse or chicken recipe. Shake and bake or pan fried. There is no limit. For the squeamish, they can be made into a casserole to disguise the bunny aspect...

I must have seen 50-75 the other day out bird hunting. I could have easily killed the 10 rabbit limit with my 20ga in about 10mins.

I have never seen so many rabbits. My Brittany thought he was in heaven, until he started to chase them.

I must have seen 50-75 the other day out bird hunting. I could have easily killed the 10 rabbit limit with my 20ga in about 10mins.

I have never seen so many rabbits. My Brittany thought he was in heaven, until he started to chase them.
Well, he is a 'versatile' breed... :D

The rabbits were everywhere when I hunted antelope east of Buffalo, WY this year. Why are there so many? Never in my life have I seen anything like it. I came over a ridge in one spot and I think I counted 8 in sight at one time. Can't believe the coyotes don't keep them in check. Didn't have a shotgun, or a slingshot so I didn't shoot any. I like eating them too - glad you shot a bunch!

It's only my oppinion as to why there is an increased rabbit population. I believe it's a cycle that comes around when the predator population drops ie. coyotes and fox. There also seems to be an every growing population of scavenger birds, magpies and crows. I have also seen a lot more juvenile jackrabbits this year. This seems kind of ironic but a cops personal car had to be rewired because the rabbits chewed the wires under the hood and my wife had two sets of plug wires chewed off and these are domestic rabbits in town. I was ready to go all out Elmer Fudd on these town wabbits but she told me to calm down.

It's only my oppinion as to why there is an increased rabbit population. I believe it's a cycle that comes around when the predator population drops ie. coyotes and fox. There also seems to be an every growing population of scavenger birds, magpies and crows. I have also seen a lot more juvenile jackrabbits this year. This seems kind of ironic but a cops personal car had to be rewired because the rabbits chewed the wires under the hood and my wife had two sets of plug wires chewed off and these are domestic rabbits in town. I was ready to go all out Elmer Fudd on these town wabbits but she told me to calm down.

Were you going to dress for the part also?:D

The rabbits were everywhere when I hunted antelope east of Buffalo, WY this year. Why are there so many? Never in my life have I seen anything like it. I came over a ridge in one spot and I think I counted 8 in sight at one time. Can't believe the coyotes don't keep them in check. Didn't have a shotgun, or a slingshot so I didn't shoot any. I like eating them too - glad you shot a bunch!
I always try to have a slingshot on me when I go out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back