Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ballistic tip /SST ?

Rooster52

What would you say is the tougher bullet ? Nosler Ballistic tip or the Hornady SST ?
Both give me comparable accuracy.

Everything that I have read, indicates that the new Bts are pretty good, but I have never shot them. I hate SSTs. They are weak. I had 150 grainers from a short .308 dynamite on white-tailed does. I will never hunt with them again. They would be fine for prairie dogs, but Hornady really screwed up with them as far as I am concerned. Interlocks are way more dependable and just as accurate in my experience.

The new ballistic tips are tougher?? As in a 140grn 7mm wont explode on a doe shoulder anymore?

All deer shot with my 250 grain 20 guage SST were DRT every time.
All complete pass through with large exit wounds.
Yes this bullet is flying 1200 fps slower than most center fires in this thread.
Very...very accurate in my budget priced Mossberg rifled barrel.

10Dogs

I had great results with the SST out of a .270, 130 gr at 3050 FPS on deer and pronghorn from 70 to 525 yards. Never needed a second shot.

I had great results with the SST out of a .270, 130 gr at 3050 FPS on deer and pronghorn from 70 to 525 yards. Never needed a second shot.

Same experience with identical cartridge. Only caught one bullet out of 14 animals shot with that load. I would use it again in a heart beat for deer and lopes. For elk, there are better bullets suited.

From what I understand, certain BT weights have heavier jackets and hold together very well. For example the 7mm 120 grain. My daughter shoots that bullet on elk and deer and it punches elk shoulders, no problem.

With the exception of the 120/7mm, the heavier ones in each caliber are constructed tougher, the lighter ones softer.

So in other words, pick the 180 over the 150 if you want to shoot elk with your 300 WM.

I've had the SST's come apart on antelope at 200 yards out of my .270 win / 130Gr. High should shot and quartering away and I only found pieces of the bullet. Don't have experience with the BT's.

With the exception of the 120/7mm, the heavier ones in each caliber are constructed tougher, the lighter ones softer.

So in other words, pick the 180 over the 150 if you want to shoot elk with your 300 WM.

How do you know which are better? I like the idea of the tougher bt but have been leery since ive heard this before. I'm not sure which are and which aren't. Do they publish that?

I use the sst exclusively in my 7mm08 and have had no failures at all on whitetails. All pass throughs. No experience with Nosler ballistic tip just accubond which I love.

I use the 140gn Accubonds for hunting loads, but for practice I use the 140gn BT's..as their ballistics are pretty much the same. Cheaper shooting the BT's.

If the wind ever stops blowing ,I will get out and shoot more to tune my groups with my Browning 280.weather just is not the best lately to go to the range.

How do you know which are better? I like the idea of the tougher bt but have been leery since ive heard this before. I'm not sure which are and which aren't. Do they publish that?

Cut them open or test on game. They don't publish it.

The 95gr .243, 150gr 7mm, and anything 165+ in 30 cal are all stout. I haven't cut any of the others open to see.

Back