Ballistic tip /SST ?

My wife took a nice Whitetail with the 243 95 grain SST ,about 200 yards and the bullet exited the far side ribs .

All I shoot out of my .270 is the SST, and my brother runs 180 gr out of his 300WM, 129 out of his creedmore, and 130 out of his 270 as well, and they work great in all. I'd stick with the SST.

I had an SST 6mm break apart and not exit a whitetail buck. I wasn't a good bullet and it was pretty underwhelming accuracy wise compared to almost all the other Hornady bullets I've run.

The SST is designed to "break apart" inside the animal. Devastating. Mine have always left a large exit wound as well out of the .270.

Break apart AND leave an exit? I'm sure they are fine for small stuff at low veocity. Push them and it goes bad. mtmuley

Judging from comments, the SST is what the Ballistic Tip was when it was first introduced. Nosler realized the error. Not sure why Hornady repeated it.

Some would say the older BT are not tough enough. I have not found that to be true as I took a Scimitar Horned Oryx with a 280AI, 140 gr. BT which was one of the old BT. Plus, I took three African plains game animals with my 260AI, 120 gr. BT with not one problem for me, different story for the plains game animals. All shots..one and done! Having stated this I choose the BT and the Accubonds as I have found accuracy and more than adequate stopping power. Have not had one blow up to destroy meat thus far. My ,.02 cents. MTG

Some would say the older BT are not tough enough. I have not found that to be true as I took a Scimitar Horned Oryx with a 280AI, 140 gr. BT which was one of the old BT. Plus, I took three African plains game animals with my 260AI, 120 gr. BT with not one problem for me, different story for the plains game animals. All shots..one and done! Having stated this I choose the BT and the Accubonds as I have found accuracy and more than adequate stopping power. Have not had one blow up to destroy meat thus far. My ,.02 cents. MTG

Hunt hard...
Kill swifly...
Offer no excuses!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back