Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Badlands Clothing vs. Kuiu

realdyl75

Hey guys. Going to Colorado this year for first rifle. Trying to decide between Badlands or Kuiu for my hunting clothing. Badlands gets a lot of flack from serious hunters it seems, but with their warranty I can't grasp why. Thank you!

Hey guys. Going to Colorado this year for first rifle. Trying to decide between Badlands or Kuiu for my hunting clothing. Badlands gets a lot of flack from serious hunters it seems, but with their warranty I can't grasp why. Thank you!

Some people get worked up over different brands of clothing when it’s not necessarily justified. There are some features in some lines that are helpful depending on the type of hunting you are doing (synthetic v. merino, layering systems, etc) but remember that our grandparents got it done in jeans. Get what you feel comfortable with and what fits in your budget. I think Randy has even done some videos on this. It’s much more important to keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

Whatever you like better and is easier to layer with. You have to wear an orange vest and hat so the camo doesn’t matter. And it could be 5 degrees or 70. Could be sunny all week, or full blown blizzards. It’s all personal preference.

I have never worn badlands gear so I can't speak to that but I have worn a good bit of Kuiu.

The way I hunt, I really like the ability layer up. Sometimes I may walk for miles on end just to sit and watch a big draw or funnel for 4 hours. Sometimes I am playing a game of cat and mouse with a pronghorn I am chasing and its start/stop all day. Sometimes its 70 degrees and sometimes its freezing cold.

The base and insulation layers are my favorites. If theres no precipitation, I can usually get away with hiking in no more than 2 layers and the insulation layers pack nicely in your bag as do their outer jackets. I think my only bone to pick would be durability. The insulation layers are not made for blazing a trail or busting brush. I guess its likely a balance weight and durability. I love the light weight layers but would love to have added durability too.

With all this said, overall I think the system is great. I've hunted in it for several years and plan to continue.

I'm extremely satisfied with my kuiu packs. That being said I don't own any of their clothing yet. I've been keeping an eye out for some gear on the Facebook group for kuiu buy sell. I'd love to try it. I've also been looking at skre gear, similar but a little cheaper

I have a buddy that has spent thousands of dollars on kiui and a rifle and has yet to go hunting. He's got literally everything a guy would need.

My other buddy and I go to thrift stores, check out craigslist, and go to summertime sidewalk sales at sporting goods stores. We put on over a hundred miles this year while our friend sat on the couch in his expensive pants.

Lesson being, don't over think the gear, overthink the scouting, the physical preparation, and the practice at the range.

Best thing you can have is a pair of good broken in boots and a really good pair of gaiters. Even without snow, early morning dew will soak your pant bottoms, which in turn can soak your socks, which is no bueno.

I have been running Cabelas Bowhunting Saddlecloth pants since 1999. They were discontinued in 01 or 02 and I bought 3 jackets and an extra pair of pants. Finally aftery 21 years I think I will be opening up jacket #2 finally and I need a new pair of pants.... :) I think I have gotten my $ out of them.

The clothes wont make you kill and animal any easier than taking off your boots when bow hunting because you don't know how to walk quietly.

But, I do have thousands of dollars of Kuiu and wear it almost exclusively, why because it makes my hunt much more enjoyable because it keeps me drier, warmer and more comfortable. Over the years I have harvested way more animals before I switched to Kuiu. Guess I just like the little finer things in life now. Better clothes, better guns, better gear and better bourbon.

Hunt with what you can afford and have blast doing it. To me there is nothing better in the world than being outdoors.

No complaints on kuiu here. Their stuff seems to fit me way better than Sitka and its comfortable, light, great performing gear. (Which it damn well should be for the price you pay)

why because it makes my hunt much more enjoyable because it keeps me drier, warmer and more comfortable.
This exactly. ^^
I finally decided to bite the bullet and get some new kuiu last year. I regretted buying it every second of everyday until I wore it hunting. Then the light went on, It's just better plain and simple. Better fitting, better materials, better for crawling, better at fighting off brush, better in rainy wet conditions, etc...
Bottomline will it make you a better hunter? No
Will it make you a more confident and comfortable hunter? Absolutely!

I agree having better gear makes my hunts more enjoyable for the same reasons as already mentioned. I don’t use either brands you inquired about as I opted for first lite. I do like the zip off base layer bottoms by kuiu though.

I have Sitka and kuiu. But I also have woolrich Eddie Bauer duo fold synthetic Spyder Mountain hardware Arc’teryx and countless pairs of popular and off brand merino wool socks. I’ll tell you this my woolrich puffy is the bomb. Super warm and durable. Had to track a whitetail through the nastiest autumn olive and other junk and that coat made it, not a rip. I also have hunters element that is from New Zealand, their windshirt and it’s amaizing. I also love the Sitka and kinda like the kuiu, kuiu for me is super athletic cut and just doesn’t fit as well as Sitka or Eddie Bauer or the other aforementioned manufacturers. In reality when you see pics of the dead animal and hunter it’s more of a hero shot than anything. If money is no object then go for it, both great systems that work. But there is just as good merchandise out there for a lot less money that will get you thru some serious weather. Now is the time to buy as most winter clothes are being liquidated for end of the year. Hek, check out Donnie Vincent and see what he kills and what he wears, that could change your mind on a lot of things

I hunt with a group of guys every year. Badlands, sitka, first lite and kuiu. Seems like everyone has their favorite. You cant go wrong with any of them. I run with Badlands, compared to my older camo my comfort level has made all situations enjoyable. Ive hunted in 70 degree days and -26degree days in the mountains. Their warranty is for real. Good customer service as well. Ripped a pair of pants that i used everyday on an archery trip, got home called and mailed them in to get repaired or replaced. I probably waited to long to send them in but time was getting down to when I was heading back out for rifle. They were willing to have the package waiting for me at a safe place on my way out west but ended up overnighting it. Just the fact that they were willing to all that showed me alot. I have a lot of Badlands gear, I love every single article I have. Rain gear, insulation, layers and outerwear are all there for you to look at. I cant see myself buying anything different. I know my friends could say the same for their gear too, all have high quality gear.
If you go with Badlands, shoot me a msg on what you are looking for. Id be happy to give you my reviews

Kuiu is one of those brands where I'm more impressed each time I get a new piece of gear from them. Would definitely give them a look.

J

I have them both and the newest piece of either is 10 years old. So no current knowledge on current products.

I don't think either company is any less "corporate" than the other anymore, and I (GASP) actually mix them up and wear both at the same time.

But they should last you a while. either way. I have used the Badlands warranty on a Jacket Zipper and Pack buckles and zippers. My Merino shirts are wearing out on KUIU. I've patched rips in my original Sitka Pants. Good Hunting gear wears ourt over time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back