backpacking stoves-which one/

I have posted this before, but here is a test I ran last year or the year before. I just boiled 16 oz since I haven't had a reason to boil 32 oz.

Olican with brand new fuel canister.
3_zpsdb840555.jpg

The outside temperature was a bit chilly, but to be honest, the fuel and water were room temperature.
5_zps3f61d726.jpg

I started both pots at the same time with micro rockets, both with new canisters and same temp water. Regular pot was about a twice as long.
4_zps1a262a14.jpg

1_zps54cf2dc7.jpg

Miller when you did those tests, did you turn the stoves up to max or how did you decide the setting for each?

The pot sure makes a difference. I think all the different pots with the fins on the bottom are going to be pretty close to twice as fast at coming to a boil as the ones with just a flat bottom. Most of the stove makers have a version of the finned pots now. I doubt there is going to be a significant difference between the finned ones, but you never know.

I have the Pocket Rocket, MSR WhisperLite, Dragonfly, and XGK.
For trips with mild climate and easy access to purchase canisters, I go with the Pocket Rocket.
Next month ( JAN ) I will be camping on Adak AK and canisters are not allowed on planes and you cannot buy them there. For this trip I will be taking the XGK. Not real impressed with the WhisperLite but the Dragonfly and XGK are like blowtorches ! I think the WhisperLite was invented to please the people who complained about the noise that the XGK and Dragonfly produce.

Attachments

• 20160127_093636.jpg
    20160127_093636.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 268
  • NZ 2011 031.jpg
    NZ 2011 031.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 257
I think the WhisperLite was invented to please the people who complained about the noise that the XGK and Dragonfly produce.

The whisperlite is the original, created for people who want to do more than boil water fast. The whisperlite is a water burner and nothing more. I love my dragonfly with the olicamp pot. It boils fast a furious and extrememly versatile in any weather.

The whisperlite is the original, created for people who want to do more than boil water fast. The whisperlite is a water burner and nothing more. I love my dragonfly with the olicamp pot. It boils fast a furious and extrememly versatile in any weather.

Not so. The first prototype of the XGK was invented in 1973. Introduced commercially in '75 as the model 9. In '78 it became the GK. The Whisperlite was introduced in '82. I bought my first stove the GK back in the 70's. No longer own that stove but I have the newer version. Firefly in '83 and Dragonfly in '98. The XGK, or earlier model names, was first and it ROARS. Nearly a decade later came the WhisperLite.

You are correct. I misspoke as I was speaking to the dragonfly only. The XGK is the granddaddy to all of them. I love my dragonfly, but i'm planning on adding one of the "burner silencers" to it this year to try out.

Last edited:
Four of us were in a campground and talking while the XGK was burning. I turned off the stove in the middle of the conversation and we immediately realized that we had been shouting. Quite embarrassing to know that the entire campground heard our conversation.

We have and use a Whisperlite. It has been good to us.

Due to this thread I bought a pocket rocket style stove for my wife. I should get her an olican as well.

Gonna be a good Christmas.

Last edited:
Does anyone who has an Olicamp xts pot know if the pocket rocket or micro rocket fit inside with a 4oz isopro canister? I use a micro rocket with a msr titan kettle and 4 oz isopro. Everything nests inside along with a lighter. Curious about the olicamp but if it doesn't all nest it wouldn't be as useful. Trying to figure out if the fuel savings would make up for the extra weight compared to the titan kettle.

Does anyone who has an Olicamp xts pot know if the pocket rocket or micro rocket fit inside with a 4oz isopro canister?

Yes for the Micro-rocket and small fuel canister. I can also put a canister stand in the pot.

Yes for the Micro-rocket and small fuel canister. I can also put a canister stand in the pot.

Brilliant. Thanks. Might have to look at getting one for longer term use. The titan kettle is great for day use since the fuel weight doesn't play into the equation as much but for multi day use the fuel savings might outweigh the extra few ounces in pot weight!

the pocket rocket has never let me down. I may try a small jetboil because the cook pot is smaller and it will take up less space. The optimus weekender I use now will fit the stove, small canister and spork inside, but I need to tape it shut to keep it all together, and its just a little bulky.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back