Caribou Gear

backpacking stoves-which one/

I saved a bunch of $ and bought the pocket rocket this year instead of the more expensive MSR options. Very good piece of equipment. Met some other guys using the whisper light and can't say I was impressed. My food was cooked faster than they could even get the whisper going. Might be good for some applications but looked like a pain in the ass to me for the most part.

If it gets real cold, canister stoves won't work and you have to use a whisper lite.

I use a $8 canister stove I bought on Amazon. It served me well for a few years now, but the o-ring inside is starting to wear. I only use it a few times a year so it suits my needs. Guess I will need to invest in a new o-ring soon ;)

I use a small stove I got from Amazon. I think it is some type of MSR pocket rocket knockoff. I have used it for 2 years now with no issues. However the construction of it seems really cheap and low quality. I can not believe it has lasted this long. The quality of it seems so cheap I actually already bought a MSR pocket rocket I keep with my base camp/truck waiting for the cheap amazon one to die. However it just keeps working.

Here is the link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENDRORM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Pocket Rocket is an Amazon Deal of the Day, on sale for $19.99.

The above link was through Fin's Amazon link.

Edit: I should have read the posts above before posting. :rolleyes:

thanks everyone. i have decided to get the MSR Pocket Rocket. A lot of good information from everyone.

thanks everyone. i have decided to get the MSR Pocket Rocket. A lot of good information from everyone.

They do make a higher altitude/cold weather fuel canister mix but like belly-deep mentions once you get below freezing things really shut down fast. Putting your canister under your coat or in the sleeping bag improves your odds of it working

thanks. I'll look for some cold weather mix just in case

So the MSR Pocket Rocket is both cheaper, and a better alternative to Jet Boil?

Well. Maybe with the right pot. Jetboils boil water fast, so they are more fuel efficient.

Once I get my Olicamp pot from the brown Santa Claus, I'm going to have a boil-off between that and my Jet. I'll let you know which one wins.

Well. Maybe with the right pot. Jetboils boil water fast, so they are more fuel efficient.

Once I get my Olicamp pot from the brown Santa Claus, I'm going to have a boil-off between that and my Jet. I'll let you know which one wins.

That would be great! I look forward to that. Thank you.

I've seen the Jet Boil in action and it is fast.

Back