PEAX Equipment

Backcountry deodorant

Like others have said. Wipes. Hit the feet and 'hotspots' nightly and I use Mitchem unscented deodorant - the dead down wind types are a little pasty or something to me.
I'll even carry a few of those expandable towels with me and do a wipe down every other day or so just before a noontime mountain nap.
We get something like this at Sportsman's, I think. In a jar on the counter 5 for $.25 or 25 for $1 IIRC.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZNGVV...&pd_rd_r=8c139101-62a1-11e9-b12e-253105b62179

**There is a definite procedure to follow:
1. Start at the top and wash down as far as possible.
2. Go to feet and wash up as far as possible.
3. Wash possible.

I don't really mess with deodorant when backpacking. I take a good shower the night before I leave and use some Speedstick unscented, but that's what I generally use anyway. I don't take it along. Just a bar of soap for washing hands and feet.

I gotta say I don't get it. For those who pack it, why use antiperspirant--scented or not--when you know you are going to be sweating like crazy on a backpack hunt?
If you were single and planning on meeting your future spouse half way up the mountain that's one thing.

unscented doesn't even make sense in the whitetail woods..let alone the backcountry. wind and thermals are the only things that matter

Arm and Hammer Essentials Unscented deodorant works for me. I've been using it for years while whitetail hunting.

Ain't no getting around it. We Stink, period. One good wiff and they are Gone. $$$$$$$ spent on trying to get around that fact will only make for a more sloppy hunt ethic. Hunt smarter, spend less.

I've been using the Nose Jammer deodorant for a few years now, it's not unscented, has a slight vanilla scent, but it does work pretty good.

Heres my 2 cents I live in Pa and am a big archery hunter at home and IMO the anti sent crap just takes money out of our pockets period. I use pure lye soap year round and a free and clear laundry soap year round and hunt the wind 100% of the time
out west wipes and same lye soap if I can get a shower some place if in camp or in a stream or if we come out for any reason, since we go for 10 days we are ripe and I make most of the guys ride in the truck bed till we get to town lol cause a cow pasture smells better than we do after a long hunt

Step 1: catch packrat.
Step 2: tie his legs together so he cant get away.
Step 3: rub the little fella all over your stinky bits. (Pack rats usually smell like juniper berries.)
Step 4: turn him loose and find another when he turns skanky.

I reckon if I tried this, I can imagine sheepishly telling the nurse at A&E - Well I tied up this pack rat and shoved it down my pants to clean my boy bits BUT forgot to tie the mouth.

If I was looking to safe on weight but still carry some I would save a stick or package with just a few days left in it. No sense carrying around a months supply.

Every critter has its aroma. I'm the best smell'n sqauch in the woods! All ways mind full of wind patterns, and rinse/bath every chance I get in bone chill'n water!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back