Caribou Gear Tarp

Back country for you old farts out their

At 69 I'm still running the hills and dragging out my deer. I am lucky. Good genes and a general disdain for cooking, eating, and drinking has made the difference. I still wear the same size 34" waist jeans as I did in high school.

I have only two words of advice for the author of this thread: don't wait. I would estimate 75% of those who make all kinds of grandiose bucket list plans don't physically hold up to meet the requirements by the time they retire. And this includes many who work hard to preserve their youth. Spend the money now to achieve your objectives ... or as many as you can ... keeping your family's welfare foremost of course. Everything's a balancing act.

Thanks for all of the old farts that chimed in here lol
I have been going out west for 20 plus yrs just every other or some time every 3 or 4 yrs due to work or family but now Ive been planning every yr and doing some higher end hunts due to age now and also the house will be paid for soon and I guess its time to dig up one of those mason jars I burried out back

I'm 59 and have had a bad knee since I was 13 when I nearly lost my leg in a motorcycle accident. Doctors had my parents sign consent forms to amputate at the knee. Thank God they didn't amputate but there were times I wish they had because of the pain I've had to endure.
Started hunting when I was 12 so nearly my entire hunting life I've had to push through the pain. It has slowed me down but never stopped me.
However, I just can't pack out heavy meat laden packs anymore. I just bought an Alpacka Caribou raft and will plan my hunts around floating out.
Also I have switched gears and am returning to my first love of waterfowl hunting in remote areas. Small game hunting in Alaska is still a big adventure but easier on the knees.
An Alaska airlines visa card makes it really cheap and I fly there for free every year.
Thats awesome!

64 now. Old injuries/surgeries make themselves known too often. New injuries take longer to heal. Staying active and 1.5 hour workouts 3 times each week are absolutely beneficial. Lots of hiking year round. My pool of hunting buddies has dwindled due to attrition and failing bodies. That lack of oxygen at 7000' becomes more of an obstacle every year I get out west. Keep at it until you can't !!

After severing my patellar tendon backpacking in 2020, I spent most of the hunting season on the couch or at PT. Staying with my fitness routine and progressively more hiking, this past hunting season I moved more slowly as a 77 yr old guy, but put on the miles, albeit with no elk hunting success ... but with some good views as the one below looking at the Crazies.

My wife keeps me going and we completed a seven-day, eighty mile trek through the Thorofare last August. As my recently passed 101 yr old Mom would say, "Move it or lose it!"

View attachment 211247

Old fart at Ishawooa Pass.

View attachment 211248
I keep coming across this post and realizing how tough your are straight...awesome.

I feel blessed. I have had different health issues arise through the years but never anything that kept me from hunting, sailing, driving--living, until I found myself on the wrong side of 85. I still went on a few hunts, but hardly ever left base camp after they got me there. And now I am no longer able to go )-:

gentleman, every one of you are such an inspiration to the young members here. Amazing group of older gentlemen. My hats off to each and every one of you. Best of luck on all your future hunts and other ventures.

If, One of you gentlemen would be so kind, please add the video and song from Trace Atkins "your going to miss this" and watch it all the way through. That is "us" that Trace greets at the end of the video. This video would also work on the small town thread. How many recognize those buildings and cars, regardless of where you first saw them (-:

The training gets a whole lot harder at altitude. When the snow melts and I have access, I'll do the same up there as I do here at 2,300'. Climb with a weighted pack. Our cabin's altitude is 8,500'. It isn't going to be fun but at turning 72 in July, I fear not gutting it out up there more than I do being unprepared for the grind of a hunt. Make sense?

A friend of mine last fall...about 2 weeks before his 80th birthday.

Stayed in camp for 12 days, had a couple chances earlier at elk that didn't pan out. But, like he's done forever, stayed the course and found what he was looking for.

IMG_20211024_074134883.jpg

I know a lot of guys, much younger, that would have pulled the plug after a few days.

Turning 62 in a couple weeks. In 2018 and 2019 did high country mule deer hunts in Colorado. Parked at 9500ft and backpacked in 5 miles to 11,600. Worked out HARD for 9 months and it was easier than when I did it when I was 40yrs old. It can be done. How bad do you want it.

Turned 60 last fall, still applying and acquiring points. Does get tough to breathe above 10K'. We had my Dad in elk camp when he was 87, killed his last bull when he was 82, my uncle hunted elk into his 90's. I have to work harder to get in shape for hunting season, usually happens in the week long out of State hunt, knees have been giving me issues, but have found that stretching helps out a lot. Plan to do this for another few decades at least. My main hunting partner is 61, is like a mountain goat, weighs about 150# soaking wet and has finally figured out that he can't pack 120# loads any longer.

So I turn 61 next month. I would be a liar if I didn't feel a little bit melancholy every now and then. actually more now than then.

I'm in pretty good shape, except for regular things that go with 44 years of building things you can fall off of and injure yourself.

I helped my SIL fill his lion tag this past winter and the mountain was definitely steep and tall. I'm looking forward to new areas to hunt and hope that my body can last as long as Straight Arrows. He, and many of my political warriors in all parts of the state are my mentors.

Attachments

• hero shot.jpg
    hero shot.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 10
I've spent a lot of time in the mountains at altitude over my live. Lived many years in the mountain west near the mountains, so lots of opportunity. Every doctor that ever saw my feet, commented, "wow, those are the flattest feet I've ever seen, do they hurt?". When I've spent time in the mountains, hiking, climbing, hunting, etc., it is just a given that my feet and ankles are going to be hurting. At this point I work to support them as best I can and just know there will be pain involved. At this point I haven't got a tag, either, so my feet aren't the issue just yet.

In the end, I'll never be the hunter that some of you are or will be (much respect). I'll live vicariously thru your hunts for now. I'm pretty good with a fly rod in a trout stream too, so there's that! Keep on keeping on!

I believe this may have been the one you wanted @Europe ?

My grandparents played this for me in the past and one of the things they saw in the video and then talked about was the Oldsmobile. They talked about an Oldsmobile convertible they had in the 1950's. I showed them this thread and the comments and this video you posted brought a smile to their face. thanks

I would like to look at this from a different perspective and share it with you. My grandmother can only go fishing now and my grandfather has to limit his hunting to very easy hunts, mainly birds now. His goat and sheep hunting is now in the rear view mirror, as he likes to say. But I love going out with them regardless of their limitations and I will bet some of the younger people in the lives of all you older members who posted here, would love to hunt with you, regardless of your limitations. Some here are still doing very well, regardless of their advanced years. Good for you !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back