Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Back country for you old farts out their

Well said @Randi, you turn around and an entire generation is no longer there. All my grandparents are gone, we’re down to two parents left between us and they are north of 90, happens far too quickly!

started weight training when I was 15, dad took me to the OLD "Y" in downtown P-town and I was hooked - career firefighter who took fitness seriously and after a lifestyle of power lifting and running stairs at 65 I had worn out knees replaced (bilateral surgery), now at 71 I don't do any power moves anymore but strength is strength so I train with reserve - Several docs have given me several takes on leg exercises so I use my head and blend some power with some reps, hunt slower now with I've found gets me better success and enjoyment while I'm doing it, packing an elk quarter is still doable, just with more thought but that's why I'm there, to do it myself - I'd rather die doing it than sit at the computer and whine about not

Im 78. At 72 I spent 20 days long bow hunting mtn goats in Montana before finally choosing to take one as the snow was closing in on me. At 77 last fall I longbow hunted Colorado elk at 12,000-13,000 feet although I chose not to shoot one that far back as I was hunting alone and the backpack out would have been a couple of thousand feet down in rocks and down timber.....reality finally closed in on me. But I still pursue chukars and huns in rugged terrain behind two german shorthairs....probably close to 100 days pursuing game birds last year. Still DIY float trips in AK every year. Sprinting to the finish line....

Attachments

• 20181115_100502 - Copy.jpg
    20181115_100502 - Copy.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • P9282275.JPG
    P9282275.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Im 78. At 72 I spent 20 days long bow hunting mtn goats in Montana before finally choosing to take one as the snow was closing in on me. At 77 last fall I longbow hunted Colorado elk at 12,000-13,000 feet although I chose not to shoot one that far back as I was hunting alone and the backpack out would have been a couple of thousand feet down in rocks and down timber.....reality finally closed in on me. But I still pursue chukars and huns in rugged terrain behind two german shorthairs....probably close to 100 days pursuing game birds last year. Still DIY float trips in AK every year. Sprinting to the finish line....
You sir, are now what I strive to be when I am 70.

My mom tested positive for COVID this week and she just turned 100 years old.
Fortunately she was fully vaccinated and boosted.
Spent 1 day in the hospital on an IV for dehydration and a bad cough.
She is steadily improving. Toughest person I know.
She always says getting old ain't for sissies!

Living @ 7500' has it's up sides.
Like when young folks get winded walking into the Pie place from their cars.
One of the blessings of living at 6500 and working at 7500 - don't notice altitude appreciably, at least at the altitudes I hunt. But the activity and the strength training are important. Had a bout of sciatica late last year that scared me bad. Doing better at taking care of myself. Must do even better.

Had a family member pass n we passed covid around at funeral messed me up for abt 3 weeks with serious fatigue did my 1st mile this morn on tread mill feel like I lost most of the work Ive been putting in for this yrs sept. elk hunt 3 months to go got to get back at it fast
prob do morning and evenings on treadmill n elliptical

One of the blessings of living at 6500 and working at 7500 - don't notice altitude appreciably, at least at the altitudes I hunt. But the activity and the strength training are important. Had a bout of sciatica late last year that scared me bad. Doing better at taking care of myself. Must do even better.
One of the blessings living in interior Alaska is no excuse about not going for a hike because its too hot and humid.
Even in the winter, its a dry cold with no wind, so no excuses.
I also like a hiking loop to and from the house, saves time and gas.
MorningDogWalk.jpg

At 70 I don't consider myself old. Some parts don't work as well as they used to but then my 22 year old truck at 280,000 miles isn't show room either. My buddy at 85 just had his second total hip replacement and was pissed that it wasn't going to be done in time for his yearly elk hunt in Oregon or deer hunt in Wyoming.

Kinda feel like I'm mid way. 64 and physically blessed.
This one,
Future is Bright.jpg
playing with my phone, changed my handle to "Grandpa Farts, Big Farts"
Everything on my phone, Email, text sent, said FROM "Grandpa Farts, Big Farts"
She quickly corrected all that for me. Girl knows tech.

Love her humor & good spirit!

Ok like I said this is for old farts only you guy buck just pass on by lol
Im making a game plan for the next 10 yrs or so being 59 in a week .Im in good shape better than most at my age close to 6 ft 185 lbs or so work construction and work out low weights high reps tread mill an elliptical 3 times a week
My plan and question is to spend some $ over the next 10 yrs going some expensive hunts and get out west every yr instead of every few yrs
due to thinking I wont be doing much of this in my 70s wondering if some of you folks my age and older are thinking the same or how many in their 70s are still getting into the back country
One thing Im doing is changing my sheep draw in Co. to NR archery better odds not great but better and after a few yrs just burning my points for a Ewe tag its still sheep hunting and an adventure and I want to sheep hunt while I still can also going to an UL unit still slim odds but ill be in the mtns with a sheep tag in my pocket
Well I am 75 and am heading into CO 76 for early rifle elk which is pretty rugged and I have lots of metal body parts, don't rule out anything if you stay in shape, I use a prospective hunt as motivation to work out. Not to say you should not hunt as much as you can!

Back