Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

B&C entry question

justdada

A couple days ago, I picked up the bleached skull of last years muzzleloader black bear from my taxidermist... The thing looked big to me but I didn't think much of it until he mentioned that I needed to get it measured, because he thought it would go B&C. So last night, I looked up the scoring sheet online, did my best to measure the skull, and came up with 1/16" under the "all-time" minimum. I'm guessing, even if the thing shrinks a bit from drying, it will still measure well above the "awards" minimum, so here are my questions:
What the heck is the difference between "awards" and "all-time"? (aside from the numeric difference)
Is a 21" black bear really rare enough to worry about having it entered? (I figure Greenhorn must have about a dozen that big)
Which would it be if you had to choose between a rug and a full body mount for a 7'-6"+ black bear? Wall space is easier to find than floor space these days.

I don't know the answers for the B&C questions but a 21 inch bear skull is big. It really depends on the state as well. In Montana that would be huge. I know Kurt has shot some big ones but I have to believe that he would get giddy over a 21" 7'6" black bear in Montana. We just don't kill that many that size here.

If I shoot one that big in Alaska, I would be doing cartwheels and monkey flips. Get it measured and enter it. That is a great bear and it would be helpful to have a bear like that in the record books, especially if it is from CO.

I'll echo what has been said above, a 21", 7'6" black bear is a monster anywhere. Get him officially measured and enter him if you want.

B&C black bears are rare... and 7'6" is huge anywhere. Heck, a 7'6" grizz is a shooter.

Any pics of that dude?

Can't help ya on the rug/mount. Rugs on the way take up a lot of room too.

Big bear! I think it's worth entering, just so that it's on record. The value of the records books, IMO, is to provide a history of where the most outstanding individuals have come from.

Wall space is a bit easier but either way would be good. I'd go closed mouth as I'm not much of a fan of the old snarly mean bear taxi work..

7'6" if measured with no pimping is a heck of a bruin, and a skull over 21" is a very good bruin. To break 19" in our state is doing well, and I think I've broken or been in on the breaking of 20" only 3x. Now in Alaska to me it'd still be a heck of a bruin, but wouldn't be as big a deal to me as it would be to break 21 in my home state.

As far as awards vs all time, that's up to the individual. But to me the All time is the one I'm interested in. The other to me is more about them making a bit more cheddar and I spose it works for them. But either way is fine, one only has to make themselves happy!

Got pics, would love to see that bruiser!!

If I had it my way, on a bruin that goes over 7 I'd no doubt be doing a full body mount. I have a Big Sky bruin that goes 7'1" and a skosh over 20" on the noggin that I'll do a fbm on.

Did you take the bruin in Colo or in Alaska? And on your own or guided and with bait or mano o bruin?

Thx

I enetered mine back in '86, a 21 5/16". 7'3" bear off of the White Mountain Apache Reservation (Az).
An 'Awards' entry gets you listed for the year of entry, and is only published for that year. 'All Time' keeps you in the book forever.

It is all about the $$$$$$$
One of officiers of SCI wud probably buy to compete with another officier on who had best....you can compete with other hunters on who had best....I compete with the animal, not the record book....sour grapes....maybe.....damn sure don't have a bear that big....but I have quite a few animals that qualify for SCI and one for B&C
Agree that record book was scientific based to start for where the big animals were,,,,now it is a competition among hunters for best....better than yours...aint gonna play that game!
I like my wallmount, by the way....paltry little 20" from AK

Thanks fellas,
I posted a photo last fall, but will put it here as well. Unfortunately i was solo and it was getting late, so I really don't have any 'great' pics.
BTW, this was a DIY hunt in Colorado with a 50cal TC Encore.
I shot a bear in AK in '98, that measures 19.5" (and 7'-2") and took a photo of the two skulls together cause the difference is cool I think.
The scientific aspect of entering it makes sense... I look into getting it measured.
I'm still not sure whether to go with a rug for the wall or a mount though.
The size of his paw next to my size tens is awsome...

Attachments

• muz.jpg
    muz.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 238
  • paw.jpg
    paw.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 229
Does anyone know how to lighten blood in photos? I've got another I'd like to share but it's a bit "red".
And the skulls...

Attachments

• skulls.jpg
    skulls.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 223
Is the length of the bear with the hide on or off?

I "think" you will find Greenhorn has not killed one with a skull that big, but I could be wrong...dont recall it though.

Like mentioned above, you start getting over 19-19.5 and you are getting huge... B&C standards are VERY high for every single category... hundredths of a percent of animals even get close.....

Thats a great bear any where. I've killed 2 over 19" and one that scored 22" (Full body mount) they told me I would never see a bear that size in my life time again. You better but it in the books, it's not that hard to do.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back