Yeti GOBOX Collection

AZ to Limit NR Archery-Only Deer Tags

BOHNTR

Besides a newly implemented harvest threshold for each respective unit this year, the Commission will also begin to limit the amount of non-resident, over-the counter, archery-only deer tags beginning January 1, 2023. Here is a portion of the letter sent to non-residents who have previously purchased a AO deer tag:

Effective January 1, 2023:

• A limited number of OTC archery deer non-permit tags will be available for purchase by non-residents for the 2023 calendar year. The number of tags available will be determined by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission prior to the date of sale for these tags.

• The approximate date of sale for these tags will be November 2023.

• A valid 2023 OTC archery nonpermit-tag is required to hunt all open seasons during the 2023 calendar year. The seasons include: Jan 1-31, 2023 Aug 18-Sept 8, 2023, and Dec 8-31, 2023.

• Once all available non-resident nonpermit-tags have been sold, no additional tags will be available for purchase by non-residents for the 2023 calendar year.

• Non-resident OTC archery deer nonpermit-tags will no longer be available for purchase at third-party retailers. More information on the availability of these tags is forthcoming, but will require purchase directly from an Arizona Game and Fish Department Office.

For more information on changes to the OTC archery deer hunting opportunity, visit AZGFD’s website (www.azgfd.gov/ArcheryDeerReport) , or call 602-942-3000

Reactions: DFS
With the growing popularity of these hunts, it's just a matter of time before it's capped for residents and draw for NR. It might take 10 more years but it will happen.

Reactions: DFS
I think the quota thing they’re doing this year is going to be a shit show. A lot of the northern units will close in the August season, shoving people to the south, and as they start to close up, the law of diminishing returns will take over. You could win the license plate game in Sasabe by mid January I bet.

It’s going to be so crowded that on some days there may even be more American citizens with hunting licenses than there are Nicaraguans, Cubans, Mexicans, and El Salvadorians in 36C

Last edited:
When systems start failing and changing the pressure gets put on the next system. This is going to fall like dominoes across the west. Shame on the people that promoted them. The outcome was easy to see.

I think the quota thing they’re doing this year is going to be a shit show. A lot of the northern units will close in the August season, shoving people to the south, and as they start to close up, the law of diminishing returns will take over. You could win the license plate game in Sasabe by mid January I bet.

It’s going to be so crowded that on some days there may even be more American citizens with hunting licenses than there are Nicaraguans, Cubans, Mexicans, and El Salvadorians in 36C
It is a terribly flawed system. I do wonder if the uncertainty of units closing might keep some out of staters from making the trip.

It is a terribly flawed system. I do wonder if the uncertainty of units closing might keep some out of staters from making the trip.
Definitely changes the landscape for NRs. The thought of having to completely change plans tear down camp and move to an entirely new unit mid hunt sounds terrible. I think it will definitely deter some folks with limited vacation time.

didn't get a letter but then it's been almost a decade since I hunted out there for Archery deer

gonna be interesting, kind of like Idaho where they go on sale on XX date and folks will have the lines tied up for hours!

I should plan a trip, been to long away

Game and Fish got what they wanted. Monetize, market, and exploit a limited resource and it won't be long until that resource is in need of protection from exploitation, money, and marketing.

Game and Fish got what they wanted. Monetize, market, and exploit a limited resource and it won't be long until that resource is in need of protection from exploitation, money, and marketing.
Or they just tried to give as much opportunity to hunt as they can in a state with very limited resources, but it became too popular in the current climate of hunters going west to hunt in droves unseen before. OTC archery deer tags have been around for a very long time, and gave a lot of people a lot of days in the field they never would have gotten, it's just too fashionable to hunt western states anymore. Changes are probably coming to all states, not all fish and game agencies are money hungry morons, AZ is one of the finest out there.

Or they just tried to give as much opportunity to hunt as they can in a state with very limited resources, but it became too popular in the current climate of hunters going west to hunt in droves unseen before. OTC archery deer tags have been around for a very long time, and gave a lot of people a lot of days in the field they never would have gotten, it's just too fashionable to hunt western states anymore. Changes are probably coming to all states, not all fish and game agencies are money hungry morons, AZ is one of the finest out there.
They hired social media influencers to pimp that season in particular. They got what they wanted.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back