AZ Javelina

TheTone

Three friends and I decided to leave wintery Idaho behind and head for Arizona to chase javelina with our bows last week. The first day of driving got us to Henderson, NV where we crashed at a buddies house and drank his good alcohol. Day 2 took us to our hunt area where an AZ friend showed us around a little and we got camp set up.

The third day was the opening of the season. We were up early hiking and glassing the hills. Each day would pretty much mirror the first, lots of time behind the glass hoping to spot javelina before making a stalk. The first three days of hunting brought a total of two javelina seen and bad wind on each stalk.

On day 4 I managed to glass a group in the head of a canyon about 2 miles off. My friend Rob and I made our way towards them and after 3 hours managed to relocate them just as they were bedding down around 11:30. We slipped in to 20-30 yards from what we thought were 5 bedded pigs. After a half hour a couple finally stood and I took a shot on the first one that gave me a clear view. At the shot javelina were taking off all around us, probably around 15 or so total in the group. I was able to watch mine go down within about 30 yards, despite the shot being farther back than I wanted.

Another member of the group was able to fill his tag a couple hours later probably on one from the group mine came out of.

Overall the hunt was much tougher than I expected; especially mentally. I think a lot of it had to do with the time we spent behind glass. Everyone had shot attempts and we really should have went 4 for 4. Running around the desert in temps approaching 80 while home was getting hit with big winter storms made it that much sweeter. My only worry is heading down in the winter could become a yearly event.

Attachments

• 1689800_10203093920772070_418815478_n.jpg
    1689800_10203093920772070_418815478_n.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN2507 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN2507 (1024x768).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0185 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_0185 (768x1024).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 289
Very nice!! Definitely different country that I hunted in. It is good fun. Yes, the sun was a welcome part of the hunt.

PS- Do you still get carded for lottery tickets? ;)

Very nice!! Definitely different country that I hunted in. It is good fun. Yes, the sun was a welcome part of the hunt.

PS- Do you still get carded for lottery tickets? ;)

Lottery tickets, no; but I did get carded for a beer Saturday night. I have a solid five day beard in that picture.

Pretty cool; I got to hunt them a couple years and had a blast. A week after the hunt I was still pulling cactus or of me. This eastern tender foot walked right through stuff that looked like weeds but quickly learned to walk around everything!

Congrats. Glad you had better luck - or at least got better results from you opportunities - than I did, when I chased those piggly stinkers last month. Warm, dry weather sucks to hunt in but I guess it beats -20F.

Lottery tickets, no; but I did get carded for a beer Saturday night. I have a solid five day beard in that picture.
Awesome! I think they figure it'd take at least 21 years to grow the gut I have, so I no longer get carded.

Again, congrats on filling your tag. I know I wouldn't have had I chose to use a bow. Well done.

That looks like a blast! Might have to start considering a one of those hunts. Congrats! You brought some warmer weather back with you too. near 60 degrees in Boise yesterday.

Nice work! I took my wife last week. We heard them at night, and they even came by the tent scaring the crap out of my wife in the middle of the night. But when morning came all we could glass up were deer. We only had 2 days, but it was fun. We ate my last package of Javelina chorizo from last years hunt yesterday. Now I have to wait til next year.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back