Az Ban Trail Cams?

nontyp

Does anyone have insight on what is going on in Arizona? I hear they are possibly banning trail cameras. I assume this is on public land only.

The commission has moved forward on a year round ban of trail cameras on all land used for the purpose of hunting. They aren’t banded yet but are on that path.

Man I wish they would do this in Utah and all of the other states as well on public ground....

There is a cell phone camera on every "Mud Hole" in the place my friend hunts. The Elk dont hardly stand a chance with this new technology.

They tried to do this in 2018 but it got shot down due to public outcry. It seems like many more people have changed their minds since it was on the agenda a couple years ago and from what i have seen and who i have talked to, more hunters now seem to be for it rather than against it. Being an AZ native that runs a few cameras (3-5) it won't won't really change anything for me. i don't think i've ever taken an animal i have on camera but i do enjoy using them. It WILL be nice to bring a little mystery back into places like the Kaibab, Strip, Unit 9, etc. there are not many animals out there in Arizona that aren't on someone's "hit list".

There are outfitters in AZ that run 500+ cameras, think about that for a moment and they share information. Gets to a point where in my opinion we are beyond fair chase. If you ever been to the Khabib area and seen how many guides/helpers there are for 1 tag, it's truly a sight to see. Would be nice to put everyone on an even ground, but I'm sure the outfitters will cry all the way to the commission due to the increased costs for running a business. We as sportsmen should really take a look when too much of something is a bad thing, these animals have no chance in many cases.

Constitutional issues?
If you are referring to private property rights versus hunting regulations pertaining to hunting wildlife held by the state in public trust, that "constitutional issue" ship has already sailed long, long ago. Hunting regulations apply to all wildlife hunting on all lands within the state. As an example, below is a similar regulation from Montana FWP. This regulation applies to hunting regardless of land ownership where hunting occurs.

Motion-Tracking Devices (MCA 87-6-401) It is unlawful for a person, while hunting, to possess any electronic motion-tracking device or mechanism that is designed to track the motion of a game animal and relay information on the animal’s movement to the hunter. Motion tracking devices are defined by F&W Commission as remote operated camera or video devices capable of transmitting real time information, 2020 Deer • Elk • Antelope Visit fwp.mt.gov 24 Laws & Rules pictures or videos; seismic devices; thermal imaging devices; and satellite and radio telemetry devices. A radio-tracking collar attached to a dog that is used by a hunter engaged in lawful hunting activities is not considered an unlawful motion-tracking device.

I guess I don't understand why they'd ban trail cams. It's kind of like trapping. I can't be in the woods 24/7 but my traps can. I can't be deer hunting 24/7 but my trail cams can help me pattern deer. I guess I don't see what banning them would do other than piss off a lot of people.

Interesting arguments. I have cameras out on my farm however I would describe the experience as "meh". I have 225 acres (without fences) and those deer are here, there, everywhere at times. It gives you an idea of what is around but certainly is no guarantee for a bruiser. I have seen plenty of big deer on film and never seen them on the hoof.

As someone who is old enough to remember hunting without the technology I do miss the mystery of wondering what was really out in the woods.

The time to comment is almost up.
[email protected]

This is my comment.

Good afternoon,

I appreciate the department’s willingness to address problems in problem areas.

I urge you to not put a one sized fits all solution across the state as a bandaid to address problems in units 9,12,13.

Please be creative and implement appropriate seasons, artificial water source set backs, unit specific bans etc. We rely on you to be problem solvers and show innovation. This is a great time to rise to that challenge. Thank you

Riley Pearson
Maricopa, AZ

They tried to do this in 2018 but it got shot down due to public outcry. It seems like many more people have changed their minds since it was on the agenda a couple years ago and from what i have seen and who i have talked to, more hunters now seem to be for it rather than against it. Being an AZ native that runs a few cameras (3-5) it won't won't really change anything for me. i don't think i've ever taken an animal i have on camera but i do enjoy using them. It WILL be nice to bring a little mystery back into places like the Kaibab, Strip, Unit 9, etc. there are not many animals out there in Arizona that aren't on someone's "hit list".

I don't know a single person that is in favor of this. I see and hear way more that people want to keep them than I do get rid of them

The problem is gf can only regulate take so if someone doesn't have a tag or doesn't hunt they can still run cameras. So the "friend" will run cameras for people.

There will be more people in the woods s the guides will still find what their clients want

The commission has made up their mind as they have been on 2 podcasts. No matter what the people really want. That's the main issue in my mind is they aren't even waiting to see what the majority want.

Since we survived without them for decades upon decades, I'm sure all will be fine if they are banned.

Some states have banned the use of drones as well, which I am very much in favor of. The line has to be drawn at some point.

seriusly? Since you don’t like them nobody can have them and they should be banned.

The commission has made up their mind as they have been on 2 podcasts. No matter what the people really want.
This expression clearly illustrates the difference between preserving the legacy of hunting and wildlife management versus popularity of gadgets and technologically driven trickery to make hunting "easier".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back